The Official Driving Range Session Thread

Sorry for the long post but after hitting golf balls from 8 this morning until 4 this afternoon there was a lot of things in my head I wanted to remember.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Wow quite a range session SW, glad to see it was beneficial to you and you learned a few things. Now you can teach me at the outing...LOL

Sounds like you're putting in some good work SW...looking forward to seeing the changes in your game in a few days!

Sounds like you're putting in some good work SW...looking forward to seeing the changes in your game in a few days!

Thanks man, I'm tired of sucking quite frankly. Looking forward to seeing you and misses AHA again as well!

I hit some balls on the range today before playing.

Kevin

I hit some balls on the range today before playing.

Kevin

With clubs or with racks, bats, shovels, and hoes, tin cup style?

Today I had another awesome practice session. Stopped by the range close to my work because it's my only choice working till 8pm. So I did what FLTC the shaft tester suggested by hitting three balls at a time with each club working up to the Mashie. Then I hit a few Mashie before switching gears to the driver. I had some things to work on with the driver and my very first swing was the best driver I've hit all season. I have to give pjcedog some credit for giving me some stuff to work on. I saw immediate results today. I hit more long and straight drives then I can remember. They werent all good but it was progress. I did have a few pulls but compared to last Sunday's round where I didnt hit one good drive it's fine with me. I then practiced with the driver like I was playing a round of golf. Hit a drive, hit a 8 and then driver again. Then maybe a PW. All in all it was a good range session. Most of my irons were clean and crisp besides a few I caught fat. Felt good to see the driver working better though.

Good stuff OEM, glad that you are working things out with the driver. When I'm at the range I like to warm up a little, and then I play a round of golf at my home course in my head. I hit my tee shot and then depending on what I see, I play my next shot. I find this way its far more like a round of golf. I give myself a two putt on every green and then work out my score.

Good stuff OEM, glad that you are working things out with the driver. When I'm at the range I like to warm up a little, and then I play a round of golf at my home course in my head. I hit my tee shot and then depending on what I see, I play my next shot. I find this way its far more like a round of golf. I give myself a two putt on every green and then work out my score.

Thats sort of what ill do when it starts to get real hot outside. Try to maximize my range time before I get worn out.

Took advantage of a wonderful practice facility today to really focus on every single category of my game. Began this morning with a 30 minute bunker session, lately I have been really hurting my scores with poor play from bunkers, fairway and greenside. I hoped to figure something out this morning but honestly I am lost here, tried everything I could think of and basically came to the realization that right now its just dumb like with me getting out or staying in. Took another 30 minutes after my round after watching my playing partners get out of bunkers today, slightest improvement but still such a long way to go.

Spent another 45 minutes working on greenside chips from 15-30 yds, felt very good about this aspect afterwards. Figured out what I had been doing wrong and it was an ugly combo of suck. Was not keeping my lower body quiet and coupled that with a wrist hinge at the top of my swing, led me to flipping the club and usually hitting it fat or very thin. Still need to hone in my height control in relation to distance but I felt like a turned a page in this area!

Off to the range for some hybrid and driver work. I very rarely use my hybrids due to very little confidence and not being really sure how to even hit them proper. Got a little nugget of info from biggsy today and it really aided me. I'm admittedly a little step in my swing with hybrids and to some extent woods, focused on correcting that as well not getting to quick, instant results! Set aside 10 balls and hit 8 of them on the money, the other two...well they were pretty ugly :p

Driver, I love love love my R11. Just wanted to work a few keys from the lessons I've been taking, such as limiting my hip turn going back and firing them to start the down swing. Few big banana balls to start then it straightened out into a baby fade...not a pull fade :) getting very confident with my driver, now if I can just be careful not to make a quick transition I'll be ok there.

Spent a solid 30 minutes on the putting green working on various down hill, down grain putts, these are my nemesis as I usually get real timid or blow it by the hole. should've done more of this before my round as my distance control was much better after some practice. Also focused on maintaining my elbow position throughout the stroke which also helped me not leave the face open at impact.

Sorry for the long post but after hitting golf balls from 8 this morning until 4 this afternoon there was a lot of things in my head I wanted to remember.

Really glad you got some good use out of the practice facility. Wish I could have stuck around to see what you were doing.

Nice to hear about the hybrids. I saw a couple of times where I thought you were hurting yourself by not hitting the hybrids and instead you are hitting a long iron short of the green. The hybrid is your friend. :)

Re: the bunkers, not as steep, try to shovel it out. Work on different ball positions until you find one that's comfortable. Watch your tempo. Choke down a little and dig your feet in, lay that blade open and open your stance.

I love how far you've come. I think AHA will be proud as well when he sees you in 2 weeks. You are getting great turn and you'll be breaking 100 very consistently and easily soon.

Watch your alignment!

It was fun today my friend.

Really glad you got some good use out of the practice facility. Wish I could have stuck around to see what you were doing.

Nice to hear about the hybrids. I saw a couple of times where I thought you were hurting yourself by not hitting the hybrids and instead you are hitting a long iron short of the green. The hybrid is your friend. :)

Re: the bunkers, not as steep, try to shovel it out. Work on different ball positions until you find one that's comfortable. Watch your tempo. Choke down a little and dig your feet in, lay that blade open and open your stance.

I love how far you've come. I think AHA will be proud as well when he sees you in 2 weeks. You are getting great turn and you'll be breaking 100 very consistently and easily soon.

Watch your alignment!

It was fun today my friend.

Biggsy, it's post like this and the sincerity that comes with it that makes you a great captain for the MC. That's no slight towards Mr. Shaft-FLTC either, both of you are great people.

I'll keep working on that shoveling.

I wish more places had greens just for chipping and sand work. I either get out of the sand easily or take 3 shots. I really need to get it down so I know I can get out in one shot.

Glad to hear biggsy is helping you out SW! If you're interested, we can spend some time in the bunker at the outing (maybe on Friday during wedge demo time). If you keep up all this work the scores will start dropping like crazy.

Biggsy, it's post like this and the sincerity that comes with it that makes you a great captain for the MC. That's no slight towards Mr. Shaft-FLTC either, both of you are great people.

I'll keep working on that shoveling.

That means a lot, thank you.

Glad to hear biggsy is helping you out SW! If you're interested, we can spend some time in the bunker at the outing (maybe on Friday during wedge demo time). If you keep up all this work the scores will start dropping like crazy.
He's working real hard. He beat me to the course and you know how far away he lives. He's got a great attitude and drive and patience and it's a huge attribute when learning the game as you know.

I wish more places had greens just for chipping and sand work. I either get out of the sand easily or take 3 shots. I really need to get it down so I know I can get out in one shot.

I started using a 60 LW for all greenside sand shots, it is really a lot easier. The great thing about the LW is that you don't have to open the face much if any so it is easier to aim and if you happen to get a little too much ball it still doesn't go very far. Conversely if you get too much sand it flies high enough that you will still get up and out. I have always had trouble out of sand too but since I started using the LW this year I have been hitting them a lot closer and haven't left one in the bunker yet.

had a range session/lesson tonight

After hitting 1 ball, the guy knew what I was doing wrong.

To sum it up, pretty much not rolling my hands over with my irons adn just pushing them right

Driver was similar issue plus a small back shoulder dip

Didnt take long for me to start hitting the ball well again, felt great

Hoping it goes with me to the course Saturday

also tried some full shots with the 42* Niblick, and while it wasnt as long obviously as my 44* PW, the accuracy was DEAD STRAIGHT

Drove over to Tennison Park after work today. I work downtown Dallas and that is the closest practice area to me. I can get there fast and not waste too much precious daylight driving. I hate hitting off mats which is all they have at the range there so I don't ever hit many full swings there. I will usually hit 4 or 5 wedges starting with a SW and then maybe a couple of 7 irons and a 5 iron or two and then a few drivers, maybe go back to the 7i and hit a few punch shots or whatever, maybe a couple of hooks and slices with a 3W. Usually just hit a small bucket, I hate hitting off a mat if I didn't already say that. Then I usually go to the chipping and sand area and hit a few, they have a great practice area there, with a lot of variety in the lies available. You can drop balls on a knoll 5 or 6 feet above and behind a bunker into rough so you can hit lobs over the bunker to the green, and you can drop into a drainage area that is about 7 or 8 feet below the green surface where you can practice hitting bump and run shots up onto the green. The area between the chipping green and the first tee is kept in fairway condition out to about 30 - 35 yards from the green so you can drop there and hit some short pitches at several pins as far as 50 yards to the back of the green. A great practice area. Then I am going over to the putting green which was slow because of the rain we had earlier this week and the fact it hasn't been mowed or rolled. It is usually a pretty good fast surface to putt on but not today so I didn't spend a lot of time there. Went back to the chipping area and stayed there until it started to get dark so about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of short game practice with a few full swing tossed in after work today. Ready for the weekend round now. This short game stuff is what makes the difference for me. I have worked very hard on my long game in the past and have it to where I am pretty sure of where the ball is going to go when I hit it most of the time. The big secret to that for me? Getting my right hand and arm under control on the downswing so I am not pull hooking the heck out of the ball, once I figured out how to drop that right shoulder as I started to come down and keep my elbow in tight I started hitting everything on the nose and then realized I could swing just about as hard or as easy as I needed to and the ball would still go where I was aiming. Miracle of miracles.

Just back from the range. Today I mainly concentrated on hitting my Mashie M3 as I had only just got it so needed to see how it performed and how I was able to hit it. Have to say that I was very impressed with it. Was able to hit it both ways fairly comfortably.

Also had my 56* regripped whilst I was there with a Red Golf Pride Multi Compound Grip (they didn't have blue :()

Had a super solid session today.
Worked on grooving my in-to-out swing with my wedges and then rotated my irons.
Hit a 6 iron 170 with the terrible balls and was quite pleased.
Started hitting my 58 out to 95 yards and had them just land and stay put. No forward roll whatsoever. I even went 1 for 3 with flop shots. It was really quite the feeling to see one go up and down properly.

It was going great until some father showed up with his 3 children - all between 3 and 6 years old.
Don't get me wrong, I love children, and I"m all for teaching them. But their appearance really wrecked my rhythm. Between their screams and yells, and me constantly looking up to see if i was about to get hit in the face by an errant swing and letting teh club go, my last 10 balls were kind of wasted.

All in all though, a very solid session.

I NEVER practice out of sand; but after seeing the pictures of reunion my strategy of aiming away from sand might not hold up there... There was a ton of sand!

I'm fortunate the club has a great practice facility with several types of bunkers to play out of... I have made myself spent at least 15 mins every range session in them... However it's been so frigid wet im not sure its good practice or not. The sand is so compacted i have to swing hard to get out...so distance is off... I imagine in softer stuff ill have to open up and lay off.. But I am now getting out better and I no longer rely on a niblick.

Also; what kinda driver issues you working on?

I was killing my driver at the end of the year last year; this year I just feel it's not where it was before winter. I'm not sure if it's the wet season, and there really isn't any driver roll.. But lately ive got this push hook? It's a low flight ball that's starting right and just flying left about 200 yds..

Aggravating.. I know im turning throguh.. I think im hanging back on my right side maybe... And my last drive on 18 was my best drive of the year so far, 265 on the gps with a nice draw, center fairway.. With about 2 yards of roll lol. I think it could have been 285-290 if the fairways were drier. Everything is so stinking wet right now..

How much is too much? 6/7 days I hit the range (today I cant lol) but yesterday I was feeling it. I hit the range Friday for half a bucket and then played 18. Really sore yesterday and my shoulder was just killing me. I wondering if I should just do short game until after the outing? So I can get some lessons again and practice the right things.

I try to go at least once a week, I find if I go too often I get fed up of practicing.

Went to the range this afternoon instead of playing again. Figured I wouldn't push my luck with my back by playing 2 days in a row yet (would rather save that test for the Outing).

Driver- Built upon the good finish I had with it during yesterday's round and one of the better driving days on the range in quite some time. The net is about 240-245 away and I was consistently hitting it in the air while in the 'starting to come down part' of the ball flight. I think I've finally learned that for best results with the combo I have I have to make my turn, pause, and then slowly come out of the turn generating speed on the downswing and maxing out as I'm going through the ball. Results were steady with mid-high trajectory and straight down the target line with minimal variation.

3 wood- Inconsistent at best with it to start and finished up better. Lots of low flying lasers that gave me an ugly 210-220 distance but would be playable on most holes. Definitely felt myself swinging down on the ball more than sweeping it which I think hurt me a lot. I need to employ the same ' make my turn, pause, and then slowly come out of the turn generating speed on the downswing and maxing out as I'm going through the ball' strategy.

Hybrids- Worst clubs of the day for me. Couldn't hit anything but slices with the Mashies with the occasional straight ball mixed in. I guess I'm that guy who can slice the anti-slice club? Usually the Mashies are what gets my swing back in shape when I'm struggling but today they didn't do me any favors. I definitely don't like the feeling or performance of the Mashie when used to bump and run with. The feeling is a little harsh and I think the ball comes off the face a little too hot.

Irons-Ball striking was much better today than yesterday as I got back to basics and focused on alignment, width of stance, and hitting ball first. Got a lot better results in the 135-150 range with my 9i and 8i than I was yesterday. I think the big thing I ran into yesterday was that I was too far away from the ball and wasn't getting enough bending at the waist as I usually do which I think was causing my head to pull out through my swing. Had issues with the 7i and 6i today were everything was a slice or push so it's probably the same stupid problem I have with leaving the club face open at impact that was plaguing my Mashies today.

Wedges- Same thing with irons where I focused on alignment, width of stance, and hitting ball first. I focused on the trouble I've had with hitting targets 100-125 away and the results were much better as I was around the flags all day with my GW and PW. Spent a lot of time chipping and flopping with the LW and liked the consistency I had with it. No thinned wedge shots today for me and if it was a miss it was fat where it didn't hurt as much as a thinned shot would've been.

Putter- I couldn't miss with it today on the putting green. Where was that yesterday? Stupid golf. Really focused on keeping my arms connected, swinging like a pendulum, and releasing the putter. I Think I was just jabbing with the putter yesterday which killed my lag putting big time. I think I do better when I try to put through the back of the hole vs. my current style of letting the ball slowly slip into the hole. When I'm off everything is woefully short and you can't make the putt if you can't give yourself a chance by getting it to the hole.

How much is too much? 6/7 days I hit the range (today I cant lol) but yesterday I was feeling it. I hit the range Friday for half a bucket and then played 18. Really sore yesterday and my shoulder was just killing me. I wondering if I should just do short game until after the outing? So I can get some lessons again and practice the right things.

If your shoulder is sore, you might be hitting the ground too frequently, steeply, deeply. If it's just frequency, treat it like a workout routine. Work on putting one day and nothing else. It'll give your body a break. Could be you are just hitting too many balls and you are out of golf shape.

Back