10 Years of THP Golf: Golf Unfiltered #145

just wrapped up the trip down memory lane, well done fellas and thanks for the shoutout minus the best golfer reference.

just wrapped up the trip down memory lane, well done fellas and thanks for the shoutout minus the best golfer reference.

Took me awhile to scroll.

What's really important to know is something JB and I touched on about halfway through: golf companies are an anomaly when it comes to samples. It is pretty unheard of for an entire industry to offer "review and keep" samples, and there's fewer and fewer companies doing it these days.

What wasn't mentioned is what happens when a review goes poorly.

Can you elaborate on what happens when a review does go poorly?

Can you elaborate on what happens when a review does go poorly?

It wasn't meant to be part of this episode but there's a lot of back-and-forth that happens with club companies in order to make a review happen.

Speaking only for GU, even obtaining the equipment to test can sometimes be a negotiation process. Some companies don't want to participate unless their brand is looked at favorably. Others truly support unbiased honest testing and opinions. A third group consists of companies who don't participate at all.

Unfortunately you don't always know where a company (or a company rep) lands on that spectrum. There are times when you have to defend your review, especially if negative in the least. I personally know a fellow blogger (not associated with THP) who is getting sued by a brand for posting a negative review. Believe it or not, that stuff happens.

Great listen, thanks for everything JB!

It wasn't meant to be part of this episode but there's a lot of back-and-forth that happens with club companies in order to make a review happen.

Speaking only for GU, even obtaining the equipment to test can sometimes be a negotiation process. Some companies don't want to participate unless their brand is looked at favorably. Others truly support unbiased honest testing and opinions. A third group consists of companies who don't participate at all.

Unfortunately you don't always know where a company (or a company rep) lands on that spectrum. There are times when you have to defend your review, especially if negative in the least. I personally know a fellow blogger (not associated with THP) who is getting sued by a brand for posting a negative review. Believe it or not, that stuff happens.

I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that we have been on the entire opposite end of the spectrum, but part of that is I believe how we have represented ourselves in person from day one. Every reviewer knows we only ask for the truth and tact and every forum review we have done we have told people to be 100% honest.

Im sorry that others have had different experiences however.

I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that we have been on the entire opposite end of the spectrum, but part of that is I believe how we have represented ourselves in person from day one. Every reviewer knows we only ask for the truth and tact and every forum review we have done we have told people to be 100% honest.

Im sorry that others have had different experiences however.

Which is exactly the way it should be. And mainly is for most reviewers.

(Just to clarify to everyone, the example I mentioned in my previous post of another blogger's experience is very, very, VERY rare.)

What's really important to know is something JB and I touched on about halfway through: golf companies are an anomaly when it comes to samples. It is pretty unheard of for an entire industry to offer "review and keep" samples, and there's fewer and fewer companies doing it these days.

I guess the difference is in the golf industry, the clubs are going to get beat to hell and they’re gonna be tough for the company to do anything with them. They’ve seen media swings. It’s not exactly “gently used” when they get it back.

I guess the difference is in the golf industry, the clubs are going to get beat to hell and they’re gonna be tough for the company to do anything with them. They’ve seen media swings. It’s not exactly “gently used” when they get it back.

Its not that. Heck even some high end apparel reviewers return footwear (it gets donated).
The golf business is just a bit behind in some aspects and that means it works out well for some, but if you listen to the show, my thoughts remain the same. The idea to go public with it, as if its a shaming is just weird. But everybody is different, Im just not naive enough to think that that matters grand scheme, but others are and their prerogative.

Its not that. Heck even some high end apparel reviewers return footwear (it gets donated).
The golf business is just a bit behind in some aspects and that means it works out well for some, but if you listen to the show, my thoughts remain the same. The idea to go public with it, as if its a shaming is just weird. But everybody is different, Im just not naive enough to think that that matters grand scheme, but others are and their prerogative.

Thus what makes it really idiotic when.. certain channels.. don’t get a product, they have a meltdown. Just blows my mind the level of self entitlement.

Makes being apart of the Morgan Cup, Grandaddy and other OEM events even more special knowing that. Pretty unique thing that goes on here at THP.

Adding to my to do list and looking forward to it!

Part of the way in so far, great stuff, can't wait to finish it.

Amazing to think all of what THP has accomplished in 10 years.

My home away from home!

I concur.

Great Podcast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After hearing how JB talked about the Morgan Cup, it sounds like this would be the event to go to for 2018.

That was an awesome show! Loved the candid responses, some of them had to be tough to put out there, but I appreciate the honesty.

I also want to add, thank you for keeping THP going. So many of us appreciate it, so many lives have been changed for the better because of this place, it's literally a place many of us come to hang out with friends.

10 Years of THP Golf: Golf Unfiltered #145

@JB - Question? Over the years, THP has been big into providing clubs, putters, shafts, etc. for AC members to review. Has the community ever reviewed something so poorly, that you caught heat from the OEM?

wonderful stuff. i love the candor and honesty.

if the situation last year is the one i'm thinking of, a lot of us could read the hurt in your response and to hear it in your voice just goes to show how much you love and value this organism you and all of the staff have created. whoever talked you out of walking away, i would like to give them an internet fist bump.

and fwiw, i like the jb that says bad words. sometimes other words just don't give the right message.

and holy sh1t if i wasn't already pumped about what is in store for the 10-year anniversary, i can't wait to see what you guys are cooking up!

@JB - Question? Over the years, THP has been big into providing clubs, putters, shafts, etc. for AC members to review. Has the community ever reviewed something so poorly, that you caught heat from the OEM?

No sir. I’ve had discussions about incorrect info, but not once in 10 years had anything of the sort. I did have a brand not like our long form reviewing style, but not about actual information.

or how about....not getting agreed upon or expected reviews and thus heat from an OEM?....

No sir. I’ve had discussions about incorrect info, but not once in 10 years had anything of the sort. I did have a brand not like our long form reviewing style, but not about actual information.

Either we as a community are really tactful about reviewing product (Hurray us), or the OEMs were confident enough in their product enough not to worry about it...

Really enjoyed listening to this one during my flight today. Was fun to hear about the Morgan Cup and reminisce a bit on that. I had no idea this place almost went away 3 times!

JB, we've got to get you back up to Boston for some good food and golf.

This was a solid listen. I actually enjoyed hearing about the slips and down times, because it shows that perseverance and sticking to your vision pays off.

And damn right the best seafood in the world is up here!!

Really enjoyed listening to this one during my flight today. Was fun to hear about the Morgan Cup and reminisce a bit on that. I had no idea this place almost went away 3 times!

JB, we've got to get you back up to Boston for some good food and golf.

I was there four times last year including a THP event.

Back