2014 THP Bridgestone Championship - PGA National

Pete wears his headphones when he sleeps so he does not wake himself up snoring :p
Damn it I should have videoed that

Just some quick memories here

1. Playing as a 7-some and waiting on the group of 4 ahead of you is awesome
2. CJ's muddy shoes after Friday's round
3. golfing with James is just always fun
4. Cookie yelling at me for not matching
5. dominating the air hockey table against golfergal and mrs golf4life
6. breaking golden tee not once, but twice. Guess I can overpure shots there too.
7. the look on JB's face when he asked me to bring a cup to his room and I showed up with a big tumbler.
8. How much fun my wife has with the 2 ladies mentioned in #5.
9. Seeing a real life ice jacking on the adjacent fairway
10. sposey explaining what it's like to room with pete

much more to come.

Canadians aren't afraid of bears
a9uhydy4.jpg

"Hey, bear f***er, do you need assistance?"

Love the pics Deano.

I’m really unsure where to start this recap and I hope I can do the event justice with what I write. The memories I came away with are something I’ll never forget and although I’m not going to name each individual participant, I can tell you each and every one of you gave me more appreciation for the THP family.

First of all, I want to thank JB, GG, and MikeDean for all the hard work to make this event so special. Secondly, I have to once again congratulate Alex and Tyler for playing some spectacular golf and winning the 2014 Championship. One last thing I have to note before getting on with my recap, I want to thank everyone for making my wife feel so welcome at this event!! There wasn’t one moment throughout this weekend where she felt like an outcast or someone who didn’t belong at the event, and I can’t thank the THP family enough for that!

This was my second THP event, OC being my first, but there’s no way to compare the two events. Yes, there were two great days of playing spectacular golf courses with great people but the many hours spent before and after each round hanging out with EVERYONE is what made this event so memorable. It’s one thing to be on the forum day in and day out getting to know everyone by their screen names, but as Hawk told me Friday night I can now see that member speak as I read their post.

Partner

I had the pleasure of getting paired with Gold (Matt) who is an outstanding person and was a great partner. He had his ups and downs on the golf course but who doesn’t? It truly was great getting to know him and his girlfriend who we spent a lot of time off the course hanging out with as well. Matt thank you for being such a great sport out there and next time we make our way to Rochester we will get together.

Friday

Friday morning I got off work and was excited to get home to pick up the wife and head to the airport. Well, as I was walking my boy to the school bus I got an email saying my flight had been delayed by two hours. I was ok with it because at least we could hang out at home and not sit in an airport for hours. So, we took our time packed the car up and went to get some lunch but by the time we got to the airport the flight was once again delay and we were hearing of others who’s travel delays were much worse than ours. To make a long story short our original flight was scheduled to get into Ft. Lauderdale just after 2pm and we ended up getting in just prior to 8pm. We got in our car and started heading north to West Palm Beach and thankfully Rob (CAA_Beat) was keeping in touch on what we were doing. Needless to say by the time we arrived at PGA National all we wanted was a drink. We got ourselves checked in and straight to the iBar for some drinks. We knew everyone was hanging out in the Bear Trap Lounge so we headed down there for the meet and greet. Nothing like being a little late for the party, but there’s nothing like walking through the door to people introducing themselves and wanting to get to know you.
Saturday

Early wake up call for me, I wanted to try to get some short game practice in before getting out there because I didn’t have time to do anything on Friday afternoon like I planned. My wife and I went to breakfast where many of the THPers were already consuming some grub and eager to get the day started.

Our tee time on Saturday was one of the last, but it was great to stand on the first tee for over an hour watching everyone tee off. There’s nothing like trying to hit a golf ball off the first tee with 39 other members watching you, and knowing some light hearted banter is coming. (I had this pleasure in OC) Matt and I were paired with Lightingbolt (Ron) and G$$$ (Greg) who were a blast to play with! As a group we had some holes we wish we could have back and just forget about but you know you’re playing with some great people when they don’t get mad but laugh at the game we all love to hate! At the end of the day Matt and I didn’t come away at the top of the leader board (170) but we knew there was some beers to drink and some hanging out to do. Shout out to Cookie and Golf4life on a great team score leading the way at 159!!

Saturday night my wife, I , Matt, Gina, GG and a few of the other ladies (yes Matt and I were tag alongs) went to have a meal at Rocco’s Tacos, which I highly recommend if ever in the area. We had a great meal with some wonderful stories, including GG first date with JB and the pounds of garlic! Food junkies stick together! :eek:) We all headed back to the Bear Trap lounge for another great night of drinks and mingling.

Sunday

After getting to bed late (not as late as the true late nighters) the night before I really wasn’t feeling too great but had to get some food in me. Once again we met most of the THPer’s spread throughout having another meal together. I can’t speak for everyone but I was excited to get to the championship course and take the Bear Trap on.

As I was warming up on the range I ran into both jim54 (Jim) and joefer99 (Jed) who I’ve never met before and who we were paired with for the day. After a little chat it was time to head for the first tee to watch the first couple of groups go off before we were up. If you don’t think teeing off first in front of 39 other THPers is nerve wrecking, just as CJ! The day didn’t start off great for me as I three putted the first and bogeyed the first three holes but I got it turned around for the most part throughout the round. Matt and I ended the day with a team total of 77, nothing compared to some of great golf that was being played. I have to publicly apologize to [FONT=&quot]jlukes, Martsy, PhillyGolfGuy & TheChosen1 for almost killing them with my second shot on #3! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was great to hear the stories of the Bear Trap and how many people feel to the paws of the Bear. Spending the afternoon eating lunch and hearing the war stories of the Championship course had my belly hurting from laughter. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For those of us who were still at the resort we once again met in the Bear Trap lounge for some drinks and chatter! As I was sitting there with Mancest (Roger) chatting, I looked around and thought “we are some lucky SOBs!” Most people who love this sport can travel with 4-8 other guys to play with but here at THP we have more than we know what to do with. This once again comes back to those who make these events possible![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will end by saying this….. “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learnt the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” – Muhammad Ali[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you THP and until 2015[/FONT]

ANNOUNCEMENT

I now have everyones updated statements. Over the next few hours I will be sending info via PM to each person. I need confirmation that the statements are correct/incorrect ASAP so we can get this matter closed and cleaned up.

thanks

was just thinking of Sunday's round with MikeDean. After we looked at our scorecard on the 10th tee box we kept saying "don't worry there will be a lot of high scores out there today. Let's just settle down on this 9 and we can get a respectful score." Well we both had birdie putts on 10 and walked off with a par. We were feeling good. Then we had to play 11-18 and that feeling went away.

That's definitely a Shane quote.
The best Shane quote of the weekend:

(Referring to his vodka and Gatorade)
"It has potatoes and electrolytes, it has to be healthy for you!"

"If she can't body slam me, I'm out"
Also dont forget there is a healthy way to drink vodka

Cant wait to see the 2015 THP schedule

was just thinking of Sunday's round with MikeDean. After we looked at our scorecard on the 10th tee box we kept saying "don't worry there will be a lot of high scores out there today. Let's just settle down on this 9 and we can get a respectful score." Well we both had birdie putts on 10 and walked off with a par. We were feeling good. Then we had to play 11-18 and that feeling went away.

Look at it this way:

If you could have managed a 2 on each hole on the back 9 Sunday then you would've tied tpluff/OITW for the low round of the day.

See.....you were closer than you think to a great round!

The best Shane quote of the weekend:

(Referring to his vodka and Gatorade)
"It has potatoes and electrolytes, it has to be healthy for you!"
Just trying to help my friends out :D

I finally made it to my desk and as I read through all these recaps on my phone find it unbelievably easy to ignore all the read ink (unread emails) in my computer screen.

I want to go back…

11. #OUTINGAPPROVED.. How the hell did that happen???
12. Best shot I witnessed all weekend.. CAA_beat tee shot Saturday morning!! AWESOME!!!
13. Cart path only.. Sucks!!!
14. Don't get discouraged if you're wait listed sometimes it works out.
15. If jim54 wants oysters, Jim54 GETS oysters!!! Take care of yourself buddy
16. It was my first but won't be my last THP event.
17. Following the THP van north Sunday made me sad..
18. I met sooo many great people this weekend can't thank you enough for welcoming me like I belong..
19. The THP staff are all amazing people.
20. If par would have been the max score, we could have contended!!

All for now.. Prob more later

Some pics I took from the trip

7yvujape.jpg

zede3uva.jpg

2a6y8ata.jpg

e4ytegu2.jpg

nejegenu.jpg

e9ymaze9.jpg

5ypyvyvy.jpg

ynetydy4.jpg
8epyzaqa.jpg

ruza5ure.jpg

a9yju6er.jpg
y9upage9.jpg

aqyduzy6.jpg

I forgot one.. "Hi I'm Pudge on the forums and that's what you can call me" seemed like some people were a little uncomfortable with it but it's been my nickname for 30 yrs.. I'm good with it.. LOL

I finally made it to my desk and as I read through all these recaps on my phone find it unbelievably easy to ignore all the read ink (unread emails) in my computer screen.

I want to go back…

That makes about 59 of us brother (39 golf buddies and about 20 spouses/girlfriends). As great as the courses were and getting to play golf everyday, I think the evenings hanging out with everyone was that much better. I miss everyone. Seemed like it took forever for last week to get here from the time we first got into the event and then the time flew by so fast it's hard to believe it's over. Not fair.

Saturday morning it was Shamble at the Palmer course. I met my partner Eliterate, he is very nice young man and we paired with Pete and Canadan. This was the first time I actually got to play with Canadan and he is an awesome golfer, but an even better guy. He punishes a golf ball. We all had our ups and downs Saturday but it was a great round and a fun time.

Saturday night was another great night in the game, and just for the record Ron I got the waitress to admit that her boyfriend was a douche, so if you would have not let me get drunk and could have won that bet :D

Sunday it was time to play the champions course. It is an amazing course and I wish I could play it every day. Me and my partner were paired with Jank and DawgDaddy. I had met Jank before and he is a great young man and I enjoy trying to teach him life lessons haha. DawgDaddy reminds me of my buddy Ole Grey, he is just an awesome guy and I cant wait to get down south and play golf with the Georgia boys.
Me and my partner were up and down sunday except my partner was on fire on the back. He birdied that 1st hole of the bear trap, was an amazing shot. Jank and DawgDaddy were on fire on the front and I tried my best to be a cheer leader for them. They almost won and it was fun to watch them play well.

Sunday night was more craziness in the game room.

I had not had a chance to meet Golds over the weekend, I was on the same delayed flight they had to ATL, him and his GF are great people, we had a nice visit at the airport (thanks for the bottled water that was very nice) and this is another example of a THP'er over kicking coverage.

This weekend was a blur, it flew by and was just an awesome weekend.

I saw a lot of old friends and made a lot of new friends. I love to golf, but I enjoy the social aspect of these gatherings even more than the golf.

I have forgotten many things and will think of them as my memory returns.

I do have to give special shoutouts to Ron and Pete. Ron is like a long lost brother to me now, and I cant wait to get down to the Carolina's to play some golf with you. Pete was my roommate and everyone knows how awesome Pete is, it was a pleasure hanging out with you again my brother.

Thank you GG, JB, Mike Dean PGA National and Bridgestone golf. You all out did yourselves. Special thanks to Mike Dean for all the extra work he has put in getting all the billing sorted out.

Lets do it again tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

So Sunday a.m. me and my roommate Joe (jlukes) head down to breakfast where I end up at a table with Rob (CAA), Jim (jim54) and CJ (MI Slice). CJ starts in on the waitress when she notices he switched tables. He asks her if it's because of his insanely bright shirt and without missing a beat she says no, she noticed the "whole thing." That was a great laugh. It was also nice to talk a little with Rob who I had not met before the event as well as Jim. We all then headed out to get warmed up.

I don't know how it happened, but me and Martsy ended up following a few carts to the back part of the range of the Champions' course. I think that's where the pros warm up during the Honda Classic. There were buckets of balls lined up on a table, just waiting to be hit, so we all warmed up there, which was cool, thinking I was hitting in the exact spot as some of the pros. I don't know I we were supposed to be there, but if anyone asked, I was prepared to tell them the truth. I was jlukes, from New Jersey. We then all headed to the First tee, where we started watching the opening groups. Despite CJ swiping at a couple balls with his driver, he did crush his hybo out of the rough after that to his credit.

Brian and I were paired up with jlukes and Martsy. Joe and I live relatively close to each other and have played a number of rounds together, but it was my first round with Martsy even though I met him in OC. So I knew both guys and also knew I had a solid foursome for a lot of fun. Before I knew it, I was on the first tee, but this time there were a lot of people standing around, much different than the day prior when we were the last out. Although I've had my share of flubbed first tee shots at THP events, I guess I learned my lesson and stayed relaxed, nailing my driver straight away. It felt like a monkey off my back so to speak and starting out the round on that note at an awesome course with awesome people, I knew it was going to be an awesome day no matter what the end score was.

I scored well on the front and started thinking I might be able to sneak out of here with a solid round. Chosen1 was playing real well and I could tell he was amped to be playing the same course the pros played. We had fun talking about football and how much the US RC team stunk. There was an ice jacking on the Third that I wasn't really that close to, but it was Joe and Martsy's second of the weekend. Then when I rear ended their cart on accident, followed by another ball almost hitting us a couple holes later, I started thinking the golf gods had it in for them and told my partner we should stay at least 10 feet from their cart at all times.

On the back nine, I was teetering a little with a couple doubles, but then responded with a par. I was in a decent spot going into the bear trap and ready for battle. Of course the bear got the best of me on the first two holes, but with my final chance to show him who's boss on the Seventeenth, I hit a stinger to the green that I wasn't sure was going to be enough, but ended up hitting the green, rolling close to the hole and then off a little bit into the rough. I don't think I've ever been more excited/relieved after a shot. I knocked it close with my second shot, but couldn't convert the putt for a net birdie/par, yet was elated with the net par. It may have been Bear trap: 2, Me: 1, but I got the final point, so that's good enough for me. Chosen1 kicked the hell out of the bear trap and the rest of the course as well, which was cool to see. He probably got as serious as I had seen him all weekend after he bogeyed the first bear trap hole, he declared there was no way he would bogey any more, and he was right.

As we were shaking hands on the Eighteenth green, I felt a lot of satisfaction. I ended up having a great time, got to play a pretty good course and had lots of good shots and holes to remember. I think everyone in my foursome had a good time and with that we went in for a beer.

There was a luncheon with pretty good grub awaiting us, so we settled in, watched football and swapped bear trap stories. We finally heard that it looked like Alex (OITW) and Tyler (tpluff) were going to win after going -1. Both of them are really cool guys with terrific games who played wonderfully this weekend for the win. Congrats again fellas. After cancelling golf for Monday and realizing I had an afternoon flight, I thought it was time to do some celebrating so me, Randy and Pete stocked up at Publix for a long night ahead. It was a great time with everyone as a last hurrah and went well into the late night. Lots of laughs and good times and as everyone eventually called it a night and said good bye, I realized I had an incredible time. Monday was just relaxing and recovering until my flight, when me and Tyler headed to the airport together to talk a little more about the weekend before I was on a flight back home.

I'll have more random thoughts and shout outs later.

I forgot one.. "Hi I'm Pudge on the forums and that's what you can call me" seemed like some people were a little uncomfortable with it but it's been my nickname for 30 yrs.. I'm good with it.. LOL
I know I did a double take buddy, but you are Pudge forever to me.

Recap Time!

First of all, I want to start by thanking my teammate in Lake Charles, Capt. Dru, as I likely would not have been at this event without him. Wish you could have made the trip work, brother. I also want to thank my teammate for the Championship, DawgDaddy. Randy, you kept me level headed all week and saved me on several holes. It was an absolute pleasure to golf with you this weekend.

My actual trip into FL was uneventful. My connecting flight in Atlanta was delayed by a few hours, so I arrived at PGA National right before the meet and greet down in the awesome Bear Trap Lounge. It was the perfect hosting place for something like this; ping pong, pool, darts, air hockey, jukebox, foosball, THPers... what more could you ask for? After a few hours of catching up, meeting new people, and passing around the fireball, I was ready to get some shut eye for the first round.

I get out to the carts early Saturday morning with several others and I catch my first official glimpse of the course. The view from the massive putting green is awesome. You get a look at some of the starting and finishing holes, a lot of water, and several reminders of the Honda Classic as well as the history of PGA National. DD and I were paired with JLukes (Joe) and Martsy (Jeff). Both teams played well and we each left ourselves in contention heading into the final day. After the round, we met up at the iBar for some drinks and grilled cheeses. The company was good as well as the food. The lounge Saturday night consisted of more drinks and numerous of trips to Publix to buy out their entire stock of Shiner. Pudge, e1iterate, CAA_Beat, and Mancest are hilarious and they definitely made the night memorable between the trips to Publix, the Shiner, sour patch kids, and random comments to hot women in grocery stores. What’d you shoot again on Saturday, Roger? Jim, I was happy that you finally got your oysters. We had no idea that you were jonesing for some oysters, or else we would have tagged along!

The Sunday round started and DD and I were paired up with Shane and e1iterate (Mike). Our team got off to a smoking hot start (5 birdies in the first 10 holes), but we faded down the stretch with two straight doubles, unfortunately. My golf highlight of the weekend was playing the Bear Trap at even par, although I had to make some up and downs to do so. Mike had a very impressive birdie on 15, which was the only birdie on the Trap as far as I had heard. I would say becoming #OutingApproved was my top highlight, but most of the teams knew that was in the bag! We finished 4 shots out of the lead, but Tyler and Alex scored very well and earned their title.

The Sunday dinner was great as we were eating, drinking, watching football, and recapping our weekend. A quick Chipotle for dessert trip with JMan, Cookie, JLukes, and MikeDean was good as we bought about 8 child sized burritos and bowls. MileHighGolfer and Pete brought several cases of beer down there and we worked on that for the rest of the night, but couldn’t quite finish it. We only left about 2 dozen down there for the cleaning crew to polish off. Me, Pete, PGG (Chris) and MHG outlasted the crew as we sat down in the lounge until about 2:30 that morning just shooting the breeze… it was a great time, even with all of the traveling buddy/permission slip jokes.

Monday began my trip back to the motherland, as James, Mike and I had the stupidest layover ever in Baltimore where we got some “famous” crab cakes and some soup. The food was good as was the company. When I was arriving at my gate where my flight to Houston was, there were about 20 WW2 vets getting off of the plane in front of us. As they exited, everyone at the gate gave them a standing applause that lasted for about 10 minutes as they were getting off of the plane. It was honestly one of the most powerful moments I have witnessed, and seeing the small token of appreciation that these men received for their service was great to witness.

Best family friendly Shane quote: “Vodka has potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable. Gatorade has electrolytes, so if you mix them together you have a healthy drink”… something to that effect. He has given me some nice life lessons in the handful of events that we have been in together, although some tidbits are better than others! I look forward to seeing you again in Norman over the rest of the season and Boomer Sooner!

Thanks to Morgan, Josh, and my roommate MD441 for putting together another awesome weekend and handling all of the headaches for us. It was much appreciated by all of us. I cannot wait to see what 2015 has in store! I'm glad that so many great people were able to make it to Florida. It is really crazy how easy going all of the groups are at every event I attend. Everyone is easy to talk to and are just downright good people. Glad so much of the Texas crew could make it down as well: Cookie, TBD, MikeG. It is always good to catch up with yall.

I’m sure I missed out on several shout outs, but it was great catching up with all my old friends as well as meeting some new ones. I am ready for next year’s events as I am hoping to get out and see the golfing world a bit more! As always, THP events are fantastic, win or lose, and these will be memories that I keep with me forever.

Last edited:

Great recap Jacob. I really enjoyed meeting you and hanging out with you guys on Saturday and Sunday night.

Great recap Jacob. I really enjoyed meeting you and hanging out with you guys on Saturday and Sunday night.

Thanks! It was great meeting you as well!

Saturday morning it was Shamble at the Palmer course. I met my partner Eliterate, he is very nice young man and we paired with Pete and Canadan. This was the first time I actually got to play with Canadan and he is an awesome golfer, but an even better guy. He punishes a golf ball. We all had our ups and downs Saturday but it was a great round and a fun time.

Saturday night was another great night in the game, and just for the record Ron I got the waitress to admit that her boyfriend was a douche, so if you would have not let me get drunk and could have won that bet :D

Sunday it was time to play the champions course. It is an amazing course and I wish I could play it every day. Me and my partner were paired with Jank and DawgDaddy. I had met Jank before and he is a great young man and I enjoy trying to teach him life lessons haha. DawgDaddy reminds me of my buddy Ole Grey, he is just an awesome guy and I cant wait to get down south and play golf with the Georgia boys.
Me and my partner were up and down sunday except my partner was on fire on the back. He birdied that 1st hole of the bear trap, was an amazing shot. Jank and DawgDaddy were on fire on the front and I tried my best to be a cheer leader for them. They almost won and it was fun to watch them play well.

Sunday night was more craziness in the game room.

I had not had a chance to meet Golds over the weekend, I was on the same delayed flight they had to ATL, him and his GF are great people, we had a nice visit at the airport (thanks for the bottled water that was very nice) and this is another example of a THP'er over kicking coverage.

This weekend was a blur, it flew by and was just an awesome weekend.

I saw a lot of old friends and made a lot of new friends. I love to golf, but I enjoy the social aspect of these gatherings even more than the golf.

I have forgotten many things and will think of them as my memory returns.

I do have to give special shoutouts to Ron and Pete. Ron is like a long lost brother to me now, and I cant wait to get down to the Carolina's to play some golf with you. Pete was my roommate and everyone knows how awesome Pete is, it was a pleasure hanging out with you again my brother.

Thank you GG, JB, Mike Dean PGA National and Bridgestone golf. You all out did yourselves. Special thanks to Mike Dean for all the extra work he has put in getting all the billing sorted out.

Lets do it again tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
Shane I just have one question.

Did you find your shoes?

Did you find your shoes?
I forgot about that one. That was funny. I had never seen that combination of drunkenness and lost shoes before...at least not with a man :)

Another random thought, I don't think I've ever seen so many SeeMore putters on a course as i did this weekend :)

Did you find your shoes?
that was one of my quotes that was missed earlier. "What kind of guy steals your shoes" lmao

Back