2020/2021 Soccer Thread

Leeds could have won the Premiership.

Perish the thought.

I just read that the initial €350m pay outs to the 12 founding clubs were backed by JP Morgan Chase. That's a huge investment, but signaled to me that this was well thought out and planned. How the club presidents' didn't see this coming is staggering.

I just read that the initial €350m pay outs to the 12 founding clubs were backed by JP Morgan Chase. That's a huge investment, but signaled to me that this was well thought out and planned. How the club presidents' didn't see this coming is staggering.
It was well thought out and planned just like Pinkie and the Brain have a well thought out plan every night to Take Over The World!

Wonder if Ed Woodward gets his old job back at JP Morgan now that he's quit United...

It was well thought out and planned just like Pinkie and the Brain have a well thought out plan every night to Take Over The World!

Wonder if Ed Woodward gets his old job back at JP Morgan now that he's quit United...
Kids today have no idea what you're talking about, and that's a shame.

Hey now that’s not fair! I only started following English soccer a couple years ago so I had an excuse to drink in the morning and another bad team to cheer for and complain about!

Hey now that’s not fair! I only started following English soccer a couple years ago so I had an excuse to drink in the morning and another bad team to cheer for and complain about!
I was thinking about the Pinkie and the Brain

I wish they had created a Super League ...then maybe Leeds could have won the Premiership. :D

Be careful. Remember what happened the last time Leeds won the league LOL.

So all English clubs are out.

There are calls by the fans for all of the billionaire owners who wanted this for the EPL clubs like Kronke, Glazer, and the rest to sell the clubs. We will see if it works, but the fans have momentum now because of this.

There are calls by the fans for all of the billionaire owners who wanted this for the EPL clubs like Kronke, Glazer, and the rest to sell the clubs. We will see if it works, but the fans have momentum now because of this.
Isn't MANU a publicly traded company with the Glazer's owning like 55%?

Isn't MANU a publicly traded company with the Glazer's owning like 55%?
they own like 75 percent

Actually they delisted it and own all of it.

he Glazers' shareholding increased gradually to 76.2% by 23 May, when they made their final offer of 300 pence per share, with a deadline of 3 p.m. on 13 June.[38] On 26 May, the Manchester United board wrote to the remaining shareholders indicating their intention to sell their own shares and advising the others to follow suit; in the same letter, chairman Sir Roy Gardner and non-executive directors Ian Much and Jim O'Neill offered their resignations.[39] On 7 June, Avram Glazer and his brothers Joel and Bryan were appointed to the Manchester United board as non-executive directors.[40] Despite the board's encouragement, the Glazers' share in the club had only reached 97.3% by 14 June, short of the 97.6% threshold required for a compulsory buyout of all remaining shareholders, prompting them to extend the deadline on their offer to purchase the remaining shares until 27 June.[41] A statement released on 28 June said that Red Football's shareholding had reached 98% (259,950,194 shares), prompting a squeeze-out of the remaining shareholders.[42] The final valuation of the club was almost £790 million (approximately $1.5 billion at the exchange rate at the time).[41]

they own like 75 percent

Actually they delisted it and own all of it.

he Glazers' shareholding increased gradually to 76.2% by 23 May, when they made their final offer of 300 pence per share, with a deadline of 3 p.m. on 13 June.[38] On 26 May, the Manchester United board wrote to the remaining shareholders indicating their intention to sell their own shares and advising the others to follow suit; in the same letter, chairman Sir Roy Gardner and non-executive directors Ian Much and Jim O'Neill offered their resignations.[39] On 7 June, Avram Glazer and his brothers Joel and Bryan were appointed to the Manchester United board as non-executive directors.[40] Despite the board's encouragement, the Glazers' share in the club had only reached 97.3% by 14 June, short of the 97.6% threshold required for a compulsory buyout of all remaining shareholders, prompting them to extend the deadline on their offer to purchase the remaining shares until 27 June.[41] A statement released on 28 June said that Red Football's shareholding had reached 98% (259,950,194 shares), prompting a squeeze-out of the remaining shareholders.[42] The final valuation of the club was almost £790 million (approximately $1.5 billion at the exchange rate at the time).[41]

This still don't have the cash flow to really compete.
Now I may be barking at the wrong tree and this is all Woodward's fault.

Gotta blame someone for the lack of trophies in recent years.

This still don't have the cash flow to really compete.
Now I may be barking at the wrong tree and this is all Woodward's fault.

Gotta blame someone for the lack of trophies in recent years.
You almost start to wonder if maybe Ferguson might have really have been even better than people thought he was.

You almost start to wonder if maybe Ferguson might have really have been even better than people thought he was.
The same for Arsenal, it shows me how good Wenger was and what he was dealing with. It has all come out now how cheap and how little Kronke cares.

And what. Who do they sell too? The next billionaire who doesn’t actually give a toss about the club. The days of clubs being owned by rich local businessmen who actually supported the club are history. If that did happen, the fans would soon be in uproar because there is no way anyone in England is gonna pump the sort of money in that these foreign billionaires do. Football made a deal with the devil many years ago. You either want success, which means money, or you want an owner with a connection to the club which probably means drought.

I think Sir Alex & Wenger are a lot like how Butch Harmon is.
They just know how to deal with people to get the best out of them.
Whether it's a kick in the arse or a calm arm around the shoulder.

And what. Who do they sell too? The next billionaire who doesn’t actually give a toss about the club. The days of clubs being owned by rich local businessmen who actually supported the club are history. If that did happen, the fans would soon be in uproar because there is no way anyone in England is gonna pump the sort of money in that these foreign billionaires do. Football made a deal with the devil many years ago. You either want success, which means money, or you want an owner with a connection to the club which probably means drought.
I think they want owners who give a crap about the team. Kronke has put almost nothing into the club and lets his son tool around and try and run things.
The issue is they haven't pumped money in, Kronke only gives them what the club makes, none of his own cash, and the others have just put the teams into huge debt like Chelsea at over a billion dollars.

You have owners who are billionaires and care and don't do stupid stuff. Everton and Leister City both. Before his helicopter crash the LC owner had a perfect mix of being super rich and caring for the club along with winning. That is what others are looking for, because this isn't American sports.

I think they want owners who give a crap about the team. Kronke has put almost nothing into the club and lets his son tool around and try and run things.
The issue is they haven't pumped money in, Kronke only gives them what the club makes, none of his own cash, and the others have just put the teams into huge debt like Chelsea at over a billion dollars.
Don't forget Kronke owns like 4 other teams including the LA Rams. He just built that awesome stadium.
He probably just doesn't have the cash to give more for soccer.

Don't forget Kronke owns like 4 other teams including the LA Rams. He just built that awesome stadium.
He probably just doesn't have the cash to give more for soccer.
This has been long before he built the stadium, he has never spent money on Arsenal ever. Wanger used to moan about it, Emery moaned about it, fans moan about it, and giver Arteta some time and he will when he can't even target bang average players.

There is a reason Arsenal has guys like Chambers, Holding, Xhaka, and Elneney in the starting line ups. They have spent money on 2 players really and that is Pepe and Auba in the last 10 years. They let players like Fabergas go because they don't want to pay as it will cost him money. Arsenal is usually in the top 10 of money making clubs in the world and they spend almost nothing compared to the other larger clubs. It is not a wonder they are in 9th and cant make top 4, and cannot compete when you are starting guys that wouldn't even be on the bench for more than half the clubs in the EPL or Champions League.

My almost 3 year old asks to watch Pinky and the Brain all the time. Not as much now that we don't have Hulu, but the new stuff is pretty good!

What in the world is happening with my team.
Manager leaving 3 days after our first match of the season.

This Philly/Atlanta game is getting intense! I like it!

Getting chippy.......
Some breathing room heading into next week’s game. Considering getting tickets, but $75 for a 2nd leg game with a 3 goal lead where I won’t get home until after midnight on a Tuesday isn’t all that appetizing.

Back