2020 Bridgestone Tour B Golf Balls

I was able to order a test 2 ball pack of both the XS and the RX. They shipped today so I should have them by next weekend's rounds.

Can't wait to try these out they look awesome!

Hit the new BX and BXS today on a launch monitor. Definitely pleasantly surprised with the BX - softer than last year and felt close to the previous BXS which was nice. Had used the BXS last season as a backup to the TP5 and would definitely consider both of them this year (still have several dozen TP5's though, which will probably last all of '20). Just a hair longer with the BX and similar launch if I recall, and maybe 200 or so RPM less spin. My driver SS is close to 110, so I could play them both comfortably, whereas I really didn't like the BX from last year since it felt like a rock.

Bridgestone RX 56* Wedge Testing vs the following balls:

2018 RXS
Prov1 and Prov1x (both current inline)
Callaway TT CSX ?
Callaway CS Truvis 2018
Srixon Z Star XV 2019 Ball

Club:

Cobra King Black Wedge 56* Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Versatile Grind

I took three swings with each ball with the wedge. This was toward the end of my session.

Dispersion:
View attachment 8925122

Prov1 was the big winner here, followed by the RXS and CS Truvis. Balls that performed poorly were ZStar XV CSX TT and Prov1X.

Trajectory:
View attachment 8925123

RXS launched the highest with one shot that was a bit of a miss. ProV1 was the most consistent and one of the highest launching balls. Z Star was the most inconsistent and poor performers. RX had one not perfect shot, but pretty much maintained a consistent mid flight. CS Truvis was another very consistent and high launching offering as well.

The Data:

Bridgestone Balls:

View attachment 8925126

Both of these balls performed well and felt good off face. RXS launched a bit higher and spun a bit more, was thinking it would be more spin compared to the others, it didn't. The new RX, I was shocked at how low spin it was compared to the rest of the balls. Didn't give up too much distance though, definitely playable. Shots were solid too, nothing really bad or anything flushed in testing these two balls.

Titleist Balls:
View attachment 8925127
Both of these balls performed well and felt good off face. Similar launch for both of these balls. With how much more spin the ProV1 generated than the Bridgestone balls it makes sense to see the consistency. My best shot during wedge testing was one of the shots hit with the ProV1 - absolutely flushed. My swings were a little bit better with the ProV1 vs the RX so definitely more testing needed.

Callaway Balls:
View attachment 8925131
Admittedly I did not have my best stuff with the CSX. Still playable and it launched in line with the other balls, spun a TON - but Club/Ball speed was down compared to the others. CS Truvis was a different story good club and ball speed, good launch, distance was in line with other non X balls which was positive, also dispersion as noted before was good.

Srixon VX:
View attachment 8925132

Just did not have the swing or performance with the XV today - similar performance in Driver as well. Club/Ball Speed was down - spin was up there though and carry distance was not good.

Overall Thoughts:

I don't think the RX is my ball based on the spin numbers, I would lean toward RXS - however spin was lower compared to other balls. The RX though, performed well enough, 115 yards of carry close to the RXS and some other style balls. I don't think I decided on a ball, but definitely removed a couple from the discussion when looking at wedges.

More data to come with head to head testing with driver.

See above for Wedge thoughts.

Bridgestone RX Driver Testing vs the following balls:

2020 RX - Orange
2018 RXS - Purple
Prov1 - Navy
Prov1x - Mustard
(both current inline)
Callaway TT CSX ?- Red
Callaway CS Truvis 2018 - Blue
Srixon Z Star XV 2019 Ball - Green

Club:

Cobra King F9 10.5* Head +1* LA Golf Shaft OLYSS 65 Proto D4 SW

I took four swings with each ball.

Dispersion:

All Balls

F9 Driver Ball Testing Trackman Dispersion 1.26.20.GIF

Just RX Style Balls:
F9 Driver RX Style Balls Testing Trackman Dispersion 1.26.20.GIF

RX, had some really strong dispersion here, lost one a little further left but the other three compared to all but the CS Truvis, had pretty strong dispersion.

Trajectory:
F9 Driver Ball Testing Trackman Trajectory 1.26.20.GIF

Just RX Style Balls:
F9 Driver RX Style Balls Testing Trackman Trajectory 1.26.20.GIF

RX was one of the more consistent balls here, I think I should still be playing RXS, but this shows that it performs pretty well, compared to similar style balls.

The Data:

Bridgestone Balls:

F9 RX and RXS Ball Trajectory Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 RX and RXS Ball Dispersion Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 RX and RXS Ball Testing Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Both of these balls performed well and felt good off face. RXS launched a bit higher and spun a bit more. The new RX, was right in the middle of the pack with spin. Didn't give up too much distance though, definitely playable. Shots were solid too, nothing really bad or anything flushed in testing these two balls. Validates my thoughts on going RXS over RX.

Titleist Balls:
F9 PROV1 and PROV1X vs RX Ball TrajectoryTrackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 PROV1 and PROV1X vs RX Ball Dispersion Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 PROV1 and PROV1X Ball Testing Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

With how the wedges performed, I thought these would perform better and spin more off of the driver, espcially the X. Compared to the RX, they were a bit longer (X launched higher) but dispersion was not that great.

Callaway Balls:
F9 CS TRUVIS and CSX TT Ball Trajectory vs RX Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

CSX Had the best trajectory here, maybe of all balls, but once again an X ball. The RX and CS Truvis performed similar from a Trajectory standpoint.

F9 CS TRUVIS and CSX TT Ball Trajectory vs RX Dispersion 1.26.20.GIF

As good a trajectory as the CSX was, Dispersion is lacking, or if I want something to go right, that is the ball. RX was fine, takeaway that outlier left and it's pretty tight. The CS Truvis had the tightest of all balls for dispersion.

F9 CS TRUVIS and CSX TT Ball Testing Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

I thought the CSX Diamond would perform with more spin, significantly more spin than the RX. Carry was better with these two compared to the RX though, I think that was more swing dominated than ball.

Srixon VX:

F9 ZSTAR XV Ball vs RX Trajectory Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 ZSTAR XV Ball vs RX Dispersion Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

F9 ZSTAR XV Ball Testing Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Similar story as the wedges, this ball was a struggle for me all day. Performed poorly across the ball, last in most categories.

Overall Thoughts:

The RX is quite competitive for an amateur, with an inconsistent swing like mine. I really want to try the RXS (which I was VFit into) and see how the Driver/Iron/Wedge spin is compared to similar balls and especially the 2018 RXS.

Awesome sets of data and write-ups @OITW ... thanks for sharing! Even though it's comparing '18 RXS to '20 RX, this info will help me be open-minded about RXS if I end up not liking what I see from the RX (I think my testers should arrive on Monday).

When I got home from work tonight I opened the Tour B RX up and rubbed two balls together and you definitely can feel the grab. I did the same with two brand new 2018 Tour B RX and they don’t feel like that at all. No grab.

Playing these tomorrow except #2 has too much OB left for just 4 balls. :)

Where do you guys get access to that information? Home? Club? Simulator? Working in industry?

39* and I shoot 4 over with this new ball? :) It’s amazing. More later.

E7C6843D-9552-4874-8A4B-0B6D3D40AB55.jpeg
63655D0C-E350-47D1-B482-F4149997A304.jpeg
547B4E36-815A-4F01-9552-0707354B6AF3.jpeg

Waiting for someone that doesn't like them is more like it....not gonna happen

RXS vs RX... Played both in 2019 rxs was great!

Dang!!!! We got some THP early feedback and I love what I’m seeing. Y’all are some lucky golfers. Can’t wait for the 14th

Dang!!!! We got some THP early feedback and I love what I’m seeing. Y’all are some lucky golfers. Can’t wait for the 14th

those that took our advice and did VFit early were rewarded with pre release golf balls.

Overall Thoughts:

The RX is quite competitive for an amateur, with an inconsistent swing like mine. I really want to try the RXS (which I was VFit into) and see how the Driver/Iron/Wedge spin is compared to similar balls and especially the 2018 RXS.
Great stuff man, love all the stats and images.

The new Tour B RX not only sounds better off my driver (more muted than the 2018 BRX), it spins more on iron shots, and it's also durable. I hit 2 trees yesterday off my driver in my round and as you can see above, that ball is fine for today's round. I flushed a few iron shots with wedges and 7 irons and they just stuck on the green near the ball mark. Very impressive spin.

One shot I want to mention is we played in cold weather yesterday so there was some frozen spots around the greens where it was a guess if the ball would bounce or not on your approach shot. I had 60 yards in on a Par 5 for my 3rd shot, hit my 58* and it landed like a rock on the front of the green and bounced like a super ball. Figured that ball was gone and over the green. Nope, the damn thing came down and spun like a top stopping immediately. Guys were like what the hell was that, we couldn't believe it. It was like I hit a balata ball without the smiles. :)

A few years ago I was able to test the e6 and B330rx. I'd never played golf balls that pricey before... I'm usually an X-out, Orlimah, DDH, Snake Eyes, and Slazenger kind of player. You know, cheap.

Testing the e6 and B330rx, one really and truly helped tame my slice. I can't remember which it was but I was sold. Somehow some Wilson wound up in my bag. Must have been a sale or something. I'm looking forward to trying these new ones.

Which one would be best for a slow swinging hacker like me? Bridgestone's website fitted me to the e12 if that helps.

And it sounds like REACTIV is able to act like a non newtonian fluid in how it handles different levels of impact. Awesome

That's the first thing I thought of when they described the Reactiv material.

Hopefully my playing partner shows up this week so I can get a video for the Vfit. Last week he bailed. I’m thinking it will be BXS but what do I know.

I spent this week, when we could get out, crushing the souls of my HS kids on short game challenges and rotating through the four different golf balls. Sadly I’ve still only got a handful of on course time with them and that means limited tee game to see just how the cover does what it’s supposed to do.

That said, I’ve failed to NOT put action on these from most lies and shot types around the greens.

The XS has been like coming home for me, one that’s familiar but when you walk inside everything has been updated. The amount of bite I’ve seen is pretty hilarious here.

The RXS is dead on its heels in the short game for me but the softer feel of the lower compression is a lot of fun greenside.

With the RX I’ve done something I never did with the originals when I played them, make it sit down, and sit down fast.

The X I mention last because it’s the one I’ve hit on the course as well and early returns there are its the X I knew and used to play from the tee, which means long for me, but as I get closer to the green the way the reaction of the Ball changes has tweaked my mind out a little. It’s been too wet for monitor data, but man I really do feel like I’m seeing the peak height get better and the approaches are allowed to play more aggressively than I used to.

I’m doing all I can to get the other three out in the course soon, even if it means being sick from
Work tomorrow.

Hi, I have all four ball types. What’s your Q?
I know the answer is do VFIT, but it seems like there is a ton of overlap in terms of which ball will work best for which player. I loved the XS last year and I can’t put my finger on why. It was long, spun, and I just felt really in control of where it was going. I’m right on SS threshold and I’m mainly curious to see if I’d see similar results with the new RXS. And honestly, I’m really only considering it because I prefer a yellow ball!

I know the answer is do VFIT, but it seems like there is a ton of overlap in terms of which ball will work best for which player. I loved the XS last year and I can’t put my finger on why. It was long, spun, and I just felt really in control of where it was going. I’m right on SS threshold and I’m mainly curious to see if I’d see similar results with the new RXS. And honestly, I’m really only considering it because I prefer a yellow ball!
I think that if the cover proves to be what we have been told, and my early belief is that it is, we will see a lot more mid to upper SS players bleed over into the RX/RXS side for the feel but also because they’re potentially going to still see tee game benefits.

The hard thing not to lose sight of though is that even with all having the REACTIV cover, they’re still all designed for different people.

But hey, if yellow is your must then the choice is easy.

Back