2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my physical activity being somewhat restricted due to my knee issues, I've more-or-less maintained my healthier diet. I'm down to 195 lbs., from 202 lbs. in January, my 36 in. waist jeans now have perceptibly more room than they had three months ago, and, when I catch my profile in reviewing our surveillance camera footage, I can see I have less belly than I had.

This week is a bit of a lost cause for me. With Arrow's surgery and basically needing to watch him 24/7, there is no time to work out, and honestly I am on less than 8 hours of sleep combined for the last three days, so my tank is just empty. I have done the best I can diet wise, and will just write this week off and start again next week. Although, he doesn't get his stitches out until next Thursday, so depending on how he's doing, next week could be lost too.

At the end of the day though, his health is way more important than mine, and I will bounce back once he is back and healthy and I don't need to monitor his every move.

I even purchased a travel blender that charges via USB. Each charge will do 10-20 blends and it works rather well.

There are some real crappy models out there so I went with what America’s Test Kitchen recommended.

Thr whole thing is about the size of a water bottle and is perfect for my shakes while on the road.
92E24B50-89D8-4048-8E7E-88BA12AFE416.jpeg4C23FEE4-70B5-4200-A4AD-247C6A6279C7.jpeg

I even purchased a travel blender that charges via USB. Each charge will do 10-20 blends and it works rather well.

There are some real crappy models out there so I went with what America’s Test Kitchen recommended.

Thr whole thing is about the size of a water bottle and is perfect for my shakes while on the road.
View attachment 9007963View attachment 9007965
How do these compare to the blender bottles that have a wire ball that you shake up manually? Any experience with both kinds?

How do these compare to the blender bottles that have a wire ball that you shake up manually? Any experience with both kinds?
Yes. I use a blender ball normally. Quite different as that is more of a shaker and this blends and even crushed small ice cubes.

Sounds more versatile then.
I imagine it would be very helpful to have the crushed ice capability on the road

I finally got under 190 lb yesterday. First time in at least 25 years.
Main reasons I think are:
1) no diet soda in 2021
2) healthier food choices overall - I've cut way down on processed foods
3) no snacking between meals
4) intermittent fasting
5) rowing about 100 km/month

It's been a hard couple of weeks. I was out in Austin with some Morgan Cup boys last weekend so I've cut my self some slack on that one. It's been hard to get back on track. I'm only up 2 pounds so all is not lost.

My goal was 192 lbs. by May 27, which is the last weigh-in day of my gym's fat loss challenge. I'm down to 194 lbs. as of this morning. My 36 in. waist jeans definitely have breathing room now.

I think I can hit 192 lbs. by the end of the month. The trick now is to hold the line.

I am down 17 lbs in 2 weeks. This whole working from home and not doing much I was already heavy and put on a ton more. Been active and trying to do everything I can. Wish I could lose it faster but I will keep pushing.

I finally got under 190 lb yesterday. First time in at least 25 years.
Main reasons I think are:
1) no diet soda in 2021
2) healthier food choices overall - I've cut way down on processed foods
3) no snacking between meals
4) intermittent fasting
5) rowing about 100 km/month

So rowing actually works? I've been rowing every day now for about an hour and man....I guess I need to add in some of the other stuff too Because I seem to be getting nowhere.

So rowing actually works? I've been rowing every day now for about an hour and man....I guess I need to add in some of the other stuff too Because I seem to be getting nowhere.
If you're talking about weight loss, fat loss, in particular, you can run, row, what-have-you until the cows come home but if you don't amend your diet you won't lose fat.

Despite my reduced workouts, and no cardio at all, I'm still losing fat, because I've amended my diet. I've cut out nearly all snacking. The only alcohol I've had in at least a month was two beers with a neighbor, yesterday. I've reduced portion sizes and no longer go back for seconds. Because I'm doing a fat loss challenge and can't do the exercise, I've interval fasted five days/week (no food between dinner and lunch the following day) and 24-hour fasted once/week (I'm doing so today).

My 36 in. waist jeans continue to get roomier. I weighed-in at 192.5 lbs. this morning. Unless a significant portion of that was water weight (will only know from subsequent weight checks), that's an additional three pounds in the last twelve days.

I don’t put too much into my weight, even though I weigh myself every Monday morning. How my clothes fit is a far better indicator for me, and after dropping a waist size down to a 36 from a 38, I’m now having to change the top half of my wardrobe as I’ve gone from an XL to an L. That being said, today I was below 225, just for the first time since I can remember. That’s 29lbs lost since I started working out last December. Pretty pleased. Goal is still to get somewhere around the 200 mark.

If you're talking about weight loss, fat loss, in particular, you can run, row, what-have-you until the cows come home but if you don't amend your diet you won't lose fat.

Despite my reduced workouts, and no cardio at all, I'm still losing fat, because I've amended my diet. I've cut out nearly all snacking. The only alcohol I've had in at least a month was two beers with a neighbor, yesterday. I've reduced portion sizes and no longer go back for seconds. Because I'm doing a fat loss challenge and can't do the exercise, I've interval fasted five days/week (no food between dinner and lunch the following day) and 24-hour fasted once/week (I'm doing so today).

My 36 in. waist jeans continue to get roomier. I weighed-in at 192.5 lbs. this morning. Unless a significant portion of that was water weight (will only know from subsequent weight checks), that's an additional three pounds in the last twelve days.

Nappy - I agree with Seamus. It's been my experience that I cannot out-exercise a bad diet. I do think rowing has helped me to burn a lot more calories easier & by adding muscle, I think my metabolic rate has stayed higher.

The real change for me has been diet. Just cutting out diet soda has eliminated almost 100% of my snacking - and especially those times when I would have a weak moment & end up eating an entire bag of pretzels or chips (because I needed a "little something" to go with the soda):rolleyes:

Bought a scale on Amazon that gives body composition. While I don't trust those numbers to be accurate, they can at least give me a baseline so I can track the numbers from there. See if weight is not changing but body fat is decreasing/muscle mass is increasing, or if it is just weight staying the same in which case I will need to reevaluate things.

The trick to those, @GolferGal, is to do the check at the same time of the day and with about the same amount of hydration every time. First thing in the morning, just after you've arisen and visited the loo, is most often recommended.

The trick to those, @GolferGal, is to do the check at the same time of the day and with about the same amount of hydration every time. First thing in the morning, just after you've arisen and visited the loo, is most often recommended.

Thanks, but I’m not looking for accuracy, I don’t trust those to be accurate, I’m just looking for consistency. If I wanted a true body composition reading I would get in a BodPod or get a Dexa scan.

Thanks, but I’m not looking for accuracy, I don’t trust those to be accurate, I’m just looking for consistency.
Understood. The pointers I gave were to aid consistency. Your state of hydration affects those devices' "accuracy," such as it is.

So... Just did the weigh-in and body fat test for my gym's fat loss challenge. As I feared: Much of my weight loss was muscle mass loss due to an abbreviated and inconsistent weight training schedule. Only 2% fat loss in the sixty days.

Understood. The pointers I gave were to aid consistency. Your state of hydration affects those devices' "accuracy," such as it is.

So... Just did the weigh-in and body fat test for my gym's fat loss challenge. As I feared: Much of my weight loss was muscle mass loss due to an abbreviated and inconsistent weight training schedule. Only 2% fat loss in the sixty days.

I have a lot of experience in this department so I’m real familiar with how they work, but I appreciate your input.

Well, I’m officially interviewing a few personal trainers because I’m finally motivated to achieve some goals. This is gonna hurt. :LOL:

I hurt my wrist a few weeks ago and I feel like my workouts have suffered a bit. I'm still grinding though and completed my 5 week program this past Friday on the Tempo and started a new 6 week one today. I think it's time I start adding cardio back into my routine, but I really hate it, so this is going to be a challenge. My previous workout program was endurance based so I was good with the amount of cardio I was getting from it, but this new one is more strength based, so it's time to stop fighting it and just get the cardio done.

I've been dreading seeing this thread pop up. I've totally lost sight of what I was working toward. Pressures and uncertainty at work, family issues surrounding my mom needing to go into assisted living, her growing mental deficits, my knee preventing me from getting out to walk, ride my bicycle or play as much golf as I'd like to, and my poor handling of the anxieties attendant to each, have lead to me falling back on my bad eating habits and worn on me emotionally and mentally. I'm back to where I started from and then a few. The weight gain is not the end of the world. All I can do is regroup, put one foot in front of another and have at it again.

Sorry to pour this out here but I started this thread, among other reasons, to be accountable. So, here I am.

Kinda hit a bit of a milestone today. Started March 1 but just registered a loss this morning of 30.8 lbs. Still have a way to go but it feels doable anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back