2022 Hurricane Season Thread

My buddy and downstairs neighbor in Naples who is waiting to find out how badly the floodwaters damaged his unit just sent me this video. Port Royal Club in Naples this morning after the floodwaters receded.

Just terrible. My parents have not heard how their club or house fared yet. But I'm guessing it's going to be similar.

My buddy and downstairs neighbor in Naples who is waiting to find out how badly the floodwaters damaged his unit just sent me this video. Port Royal Club in Naples this morning after the floodwaters receded.

man, that is wild.

Wow…

Tampa has rescinded its evacuation order so my daughter is returning back to her apartment. She has power and the University is resuming classes on Monday.

Tampa has rescinded its evacuation order so my daughter is returning back to her apartment. She has power and the University is resuming classes on Monday.
Was it not too bad there? That seems quick.

Got super lucky my dude. There’s still 400-500k people in the counties that hold Clearwater/St Pete, Tampa, and my old county that are without power. We didn’t even get a direct hit and down that many homes.

She stayed with a family near Clearwater. No damage there. But, there appears to be only minimal damage in Tampa. Some downed trees and lines and traffic signals out. Most of Tampa has power and never lost it.

My brother has a place in the North Port area. DeSantis mentioned it during today's press conference. North Port has 3'-4' of flooding. I haven't been able to talk to my brother since the power and cell towers went down yesterday afternoon. He said lots of trees were coming down. This part of Florida was saturated before Ian arrived. 105-110 mph winds shredded their lanai. They did routine maintenance to the roof last year. Fingers crossed the roof stayed intact. As Floridians know, it often takes months for a replacement. This storm likely doubled the timeline due to demand.

Glad to read through this and see a minimum loss.

My in laws in Venice (not on the island itself) got their power back

We are experiencing 75mph gusts right now and rain by the buckets. I’ve let 8” of water out of the pool in the last 24 hrs.

My parents are getting ready for the storm in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. Their house is newly rebuilt after a total loss from a tornado last February. 45mph wind expected with 75mph gusts and 3-6 inches of rain.

1664467216883.jpeg

Good news from Naples now that the water has receded. Our homeowner's association president is on-site and checking the units. No damage to the impact windows(pic upper right) that we put in 18 months ago or the shutters and sliders on my friend's unit below us on the first floor. His unit got water into his screened in patio but very little into the inside of his unit as he has newer sliding doors that mostly held the water out. The neighbor next to us on the lower level had some water intrusion into his unit because his original 1968 aluminum shutters didn't hold up to the waves/storm surge as the picture shows.

The second photo is from the other side of the condo, and I expected a worse washout where the steps are going to the garage as the storm surge was raging through there much of yesterday. There is obviously a ton of tree/landscaping damage througout the complex but surprsingly little stuctural damage to the buildings so far. Several of the first floor units don't have any water in them and some that have been checked only have an inch or two. A great outcome considering the extensive damage throughout much of Florida. I'm surprised the garage doors are intact and the steps and landscaping needed to be redone anyway. :)

The buildings are about 60 yards form the Gulf so I'm surprised that the damage wasn't worse as this record 6+ foot storm surge was almost twice as high as any surge since 1950(all these condo's in Naples are 1965 or newer).

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 10.46.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-29 at 10.48.32 AM.png

Last edited:
We are experiencing 75mph gusts right now and rain by the buckets. I’ve let 8” of water out of the pool in the last 24 hrs.
You be careful over there.

absolutely horrifying to see the damage!

Quite simply rapid intensification is gonna be the new normal these days. They said the water in the gulf on average is 3-4 degrees warmer than it use to be. Ian went from nothing to like a 600 mil wide cane with a tail reaching Greenland in like a day.

Schools are closed here in Wilmywood tomorrow.

NHC:
We now expect Ian to become a hurricane again by this evening.

Since it exited FL a little farther south and earlier than forecast, it will travel over the Gulf Stream for a little longer than expected, too.

Last edited:
We've got some decent bands that come and go. It just looks like steady rain and some wind gusts through tomorrow morning is in our forecast. The St Johns river also seems to have avoided major flooding which is good.

These videos are something to see, realizing just how powerful Mother Nature is and what she’s capable of never seems to amaze. Hope everyone is staying safe and able to recover quickly.

My in laws got pretty lucky. Just some of their screens on the screened in patio needing to be replaced. Some landscaping damage. The golf course has a lot of debris and standing water on it. Some of their neighbors had palm and live oak trees come down. No water in their house. Super lucky.

This was just 2.5 miles from their house:

Nothing to see here. Just a friend trying to come in from the storm at a neighbors house a few houses down. I would **** my pants if I went outside to take the4E909A10-C1EE-4E23-822B-69B4CFC84198.jpeg dog out.

Nothing to see here. Just a friend trying to come in from the storm at a neighbors house a few houses down. I would **** my pants if I went outside to take theView attachment 9124051 dog out.
Is that real? I have seen a few of those around the net. Easy solution is animal control will come and bring the critter back to a safe spot

Back