Inside 100, and on the FW with nothing to carry I use my 50 degree - the 50 is the club I am most comfortable with

75-100 with a carry I use the 50

FW under 75 use my 58 / Rough under 75 use my 54

for me it's my 50 degree that came with the set

75 - 100 with a carry I will use my 52*.
75 - 100 with no carry I will use anything from 7i to PW depending on where the flag is located.

My favorite short game shot is the 9i bump and run. I will use that shot from 40 on in if the green is open in front. I have practiced that 9i shot for ages and can usually put it within 6 feet of the pin. Chipped one in 2 days ago for birdie with the 9i from about 20 feet off the green...

I used to have trouble with this same distance and then I started hitting all shots 80 yards and in with my 60* wedge. This includes chipping and I have found that for me using one club all the time instead of using a 52* here and 56* there ect.. allowed me to practice with just the one club and the driving range and chipping green. Using just the one club, I know how the ball is going to react every time and it has taken 4 strokes of my average round now for the past few months. Might not work for everybody but for me it has been great.

For this distance range I use my 58*

When I need it on the short side, I open the face ever so slightly and choke down a bit.
On the longer side of the range, I keep the face square and my hands a bit forward.

My wedge set is all dialed in at 52* 56* 58*

I break out the ol' 73* Feel at closer than 30 yards. The 60* thru 68* in 30 to 75 yards.

I break out the ol' 73* Feel at closer than 30 yards. The 60* thru 68* in 30 to 75 yards.

How many clubs do you carry clam? You must have ~18 on your sig :act-up:. What is your normal wedge set up?

There is no single answer to what wedge to hit from a certain distance.

The key is learning to hit different shots with all your wedges. That takes practice. Once every two or three weeks over the course of a season, I suggest taking a day when you normally play, and work on the short game. It may not seem like as much fun, and I realize most people have a limited time to play, so when they have time, they want to get on the course. I suggest that after a season of one lengthy short game session every week or two in lieu of a round of golf, that you'll take 5-10 shots off your 18 hole score.

Then the rounds themselves are a lot more fun.

I've been battling an elbow problem. I can't hit mid-irons worth a crap because I can't drive down and through the ball. Saturday during my men's club round I hit five chip/pitch shots within one foot to save pars. Three were 58* floppish type shots over bunkers or mounds, one was a 30 yard bump and run 48* wedge into an open front green, and the fifth was a 52* from about 25 yards into a sloped green that hit about 20 feet in front of the pin, skipped twice, and rolled a few feet up to the cup. I shot an 80 which I thought was pretty good considering it was cold, really windy, and my arm hurt like hell the whole round. I can hit these shots because when I was younger I practiced with wedges all the time. I'm not saying every pitch I hit gets inside a foot, but I get up and down a lot, and I can't putt worth a damn. Hell, as a kid, I chipped in my back yard every single day in the summer. Anybody can do that for a half an hour a day. Throw a bucket out as a target and try to hit it from different distances. Just eye ball it and do it by feel. That at least will train you to look at a target and say "I want to land the ball there" and your brain and swing will let you do it. Do it with different wedges so you're not locked into one wedge from one distance.

You do need a sound grip and a good set up. I haven't seen it, but I hear Phil's DVD is excellent. It should teach how to use your hands, wrists, and shoulders on most any type of short game shot. Then it's a case of repetition to do the myelination.

Kevin

I used to have trouble with this same distance and then I started hitting all shots 80 yards and in with my 60* wedge. This includes chipping and I have found that for me using one club all the time instead of using a 52* here and 56* there ect.. allowed me to practice with just the one club and the driving range and chipping green. Using just the one club, I know how the ball is going to react every time and it has taken 4 strokes of my average round now for the past few months. Might not work for everybody but for me it has been great.

I find it interesting you chose the 60* one as the single club. when I had one in my bag I found it to be most difficult to hit. I think if I were to choose one clubs it would be the either the 52* or 56* but I am still tinkering with both for the moment. But thanks for the response.

I have carried as many as 20 clubs at one time. Lol.

I find it interesting you chose the 60* one as the single club. when I had one in my bag I found it to be most difficult to hit. I think if I were to choose one clubs it would be the either the 52* or 56* but I am still tinkering with both for the moment. But thanks for the response.

WR, I'm a bit the same way as coolB. Until I got the 60*, I felt like I could hit anything with the 56* by openning or closing the face a bit more, but from 80 yards and in my 60* just fits. It's helped me spread my shots out a bit better between the 52*, 56* and 60*.

i always use my 7i or 8i depending on how much roll im trying to get and I usually get within 15ft. i just up on it and the the amount of back swing depends on the yardage. Not a conventional method but its consistent for me.

I use gw wedge for this about 80% of the times..
the remaining 20% depends on the shot I need to do, sw for flop or almost flop or 9i for lots of roll shot

This is a very interesting thread reading how different players play these shots. The great thing about golf is there is no right or wrong club to pitch or chip with it is just what works for you.

This is a very interesting thread reading how different players play these shots. The great thing about golf is there is no right or wrong club to pitch or chip with it is just what works for you.
+1 on this...

I use 8i to SW for this yardage... really depends on what I think I'll be most comfortable with... I like to pitch it and have the ball roll most of the time... I've been experimenting on using different clubs with these shots and I'd like to think I'm getting better... LoL... when I pitch and get within 10-15' from the hole, I call it a very successful shot...

I wanted to revive this thread cause it was one of the better ones I recall for information how different people played these shots. I have fallen back into a bit of a rut with the 70-85 yard shot as I can not figure out hot to hit it properly (too long for a full 58* and too short for a full 54*). I am sure with all the new people that have joined this site since 10/10 there will be new insight posted on this topic.

Grip down to the steel on your 54, and swing away.

I wanted to revive this thread cause it was one of the better ones I recall for information how different people played these shots. I have fallen back into a bit of a rut with the 70-85 yard shot as I can not figure out hot to hit it properly (too long for a full 58* and too short for a full 54*). I am sure with all the new people that have joined this site since 10/10 there will be new insight posted on this topic.

Do you ever try knock-down shots? Even with the 54*?

As for me from say 60+ I'll hit my 56* but less then that I like hitting my 60*
My 56* is a 110 yard club give or take on the day and I love hitting knockdowns with it I just choke down on it and let it rip, gets some roll out but lands softly.

It depends on the situation, what the greens are like, are there bunkers or other hazards in the way?

From those distances I can hit 7iron punch or a full lob wedge and just about anything in between. Most of the time I use a 54* sandwedge for most of these shots, but as I said it can vary depending on the lie and situation.

If there is no wind I'll hit my 62* wedge and try to put it right beside the pin. If there is wind that I think will blow it around I'll use a lower lofted club and will try to roll it out or even a 50* 3/4 swing. It is a distance that I struggle with though selecting the right shot. I will more often go for the LW simply because I know I can hit it consistently.

I was having big problems w/ the old 30-40 shot. Found that w/ a 60* wedge I can play the ball back almost to my right heel, forward press hard, bring it back to waste high and accelerate through w/ hands low, almost "dragging" the wedge through the shot. This produces a low, high spin flight that bites hard a bit in front of the flag and then rolls out 5-10 feet. Beautiful shot. I love it!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

58* if I have to go over a hazard, otherwise anything from my 54* to my 8i....have on the odd occasion used my Mashie to bump and run from thick rough

I was having big problems w/ the old 30-40 shot. Found that w/ a 60* wedge I can play the ball back almost to my right heel, forward press hard, bring it back to waste high and accelerate through w/ hands low, almost "dragging" the wedge through the shot. This produces a low, high spin flight that bites hard a bit in front of the flag and then rolls out 5-10 feet. Beautiful shot. I love it!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Look at you rocking the new handle, I like it bro.

Feeling like this is something I need to work on as well. I just need to get an idea of the yards I'm covering with different shots. I feel like I have no touch coming out of winter.

Back