5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

I have lost 30 pounds and quit smoking all since the first of December!!

Is it bad that right now I want to roll up some turkey and smoke it!! LOL

Congrats Tim - that is awesome dude!! You have made some serious improvements and changes in several aspects since December - happy for you.

Congrats Tim. Thats some seriously good stuff right there.

After being on the Atkins diet for a week and a half, I've already lost 7 lbs. Glad that this diet is working for me.

After being on the Atkins diet for a week and a half, I've already lost 7 lbs. Glad that this diet is working for me.

Just stick to it Nate, it truly does work and even in weeks when the losses slow you'll just feel better and better. The science in it is what sold me, it makes perfect sense.

Did you read the book or just kinds of jump in?

Just stick to it Nate, it truly does work and even in weeks when the losses slow you'll just feel better and better. The science in it is what sold me, it makes perfect sense.

Did you read the book or just kinds of jump in?

I've read one of his books, and the science just seems to make sense to me as well. My partner suggested it, and we're doing it together. He's lost 10lbs already. And it really hasn't been too difficult for me...just the no potato part - but I can live being the carnivore that I am.

I've read one of his books, and the science just seems to make sense to me as well. My partner suggested it, and we're doing it together. He's lost 10lbs already. And it really hasn't been too difficult for me...just the no potato part - but I can live being the carnivore that I am.

I hear ya, potatoes are still one of the tough things for me as well...that and milk.

I will say once you get higher up in the rungs fried butternut squash fries taste amazing, just like getting sweet-potato fries.

I hear ya, potatoes are still one of the tough things for me as well...that and milk.

I will say once you get higher up in the rungs fried butternut squash fries taste amazing, just like getting sweet-potato fries.

Ooh, that sounds great. Will have to do this when the time comes...

Cheated tonight. Have to do it. Had six whole hot butter and garlic wings from my favorite place - plus, it comes with amazing garlic bread.

Well worth it. Back on the grind tomorrow.

First, I would be careful on Atkins or south beach plans. They are not sustainable. And when people drop the plan it has heavy consequences.

My bad news: despite decent eating and good cardio workouts u was dead even for the week. Time to get more focus in my plan.

First, I would be careful on Atkins or south beach plans. They are not sustainable. And when people drop the plan it has heavy consequences.

My bad news: despite decent eating and good cardio workouts u was dead even for the week. Time to get more focus in my plan.

The Atkins plan isn't just cutting out carbs....later into the diet you introduce "good" carbohydrates back into your diet.

I don't know if you know much about South Beach or not but my doctor says it's one of the healthiest diets around. The first two weeks are similar to Atkins but after that you eat a really healthy and well balanced diet with lots of healthy carbs, lean meats, nuts, veggies, fruits, etc. It's very sustainable. I've done Atkins before too but I would say there is no comparison to the two.

That's awesome Tim!!

I started doing the Power90 gimmick (it's the one before P90X, I wasnt ready for that) on Jan 1st. Haven't lost much weight but I it's definitely helping. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs.

Completely false. You are not cutting all carbs or sugars, you are removing all of the processed CRAP. As for the meat, fat, butter being allowed when you cut the processed sugars your body maintains more constant insulin levels (no spikes from the sugars in processed foods) which prevents your body form storing excess fuel as fat.

If you knew about atkins you would know its not no carbs until you get down and then back to crap. Its finding how many daily carbs you can intake without gaining and over time re-introducing NON PROCESSED carbs into your diet. This isn't a fad diet, its science, nor is it a do it and drop it, its a lifestyle change.

If you doubt it I have phenomenal before and after blood test that show how much healthier I am now, even with the eating fats.

I hate the lumping and bashing on it because most who don't have not nor will they READ the science and facts behind it. Rather, they go with the governments ideas on what a healthy diet is and enjoy their pizza classified as a vegetable.

Sorry for the rant, but that is a repeated false assumption.

Completely false. You are not cutting all carbs or sugars, you are removing all of the processed CRAP. As for the meat, fat, butter being allowed when you cut the processed sugars your body maintains more constant insulin levels (no spikes from the sugars in processed foods) which prevents your body form storing excess fuel as fat.

If you knew about atkins you would know its not no carbs until you get down and then back to crap. Its finding how many daily carbs you can intake without gaining and over time re0introducing NON PROCESSED carbs into your diet. This isn't a fad diet, its science, nor is it a do it and drop it, its a lifestyle change.

If you doubt it I have phenomenal before and after blood test that show how much healthier I am now, even with the eating fats.

I hate the lumping and bashing on it because most who don't have not nor will they READ the science and facts behind us. Rather, they go with the governments ideas on what a healthy diet it and enjoy their pizza classified as a vegetable.

Dr James?

If you knew about atkins you would know its not no carbs until you get down and then back to crap. Its finding how many daily carbs you can intake without gaining and over time re-introducing NON PROCESSED carbs into your diet. This isn't a fad diet, its science, nor is it a do it and drop it, its a lifestyle change.

I hate the lumping and bashing on it because most who don't have not nor will they READ the science and facts behind it. Rather, they go with the governments ideas on what a healthy diet is and enjoy their pizza classified as a vegetable.

What I said is not a false assumption-- You are arguing the wrong point - I did not take issue with Atkins or South Beach plans- Typically all diets are based on science and I am not bashing that.

My point is that those that fall off either of those diet plans typically have bad regression of weight gain counteracting the loss. There is an abundance of studies to prove that point. I am a chronic eater and on my own journey down 80 pounds since last Feb. I did lots of research and met with nutritionists, doctors, dieticians etc,.

On a side note--Over eaters don't eat because they hungry it is an emotional response to other issues.
The hardest part for most over eaters is not the plan it is the behavioral change that is required.

What I said is not a false assumption-- You are arguing the wrong point - I did not take issue with Atkins or South Beach plans-
My point is that those that fall off either of those diet plans typically have bad regression of weight gain counteracting the loss. There is an abundance of studies to prove that point. I am a chronic eater and on my own journey down 80 pounds since last Feb. I did lots of research and met with nutritionists, doctors, dieticians etc, My weight journey

I've read that too. My own experience with South Beach is that it changed my overall eating habits for the better. I have gained 15 lbs back in 4 years but I'm certain it would be more had I not changed a lot of my daily food choices because of SBD (i.e., whole grain breads/cereals, leaner meats, nuts, etc.). If they ever close the Dairy Queens down, I might have a chance of losing the 15 again. :D

What I said is not a false assumption-- You are arguing the wrong point - I did not take issue with Atkins or South Beach plans- Typically all diets are based on science and I am not bashing that.

My point is that those that fall off either of those diet plans typically have bad regression of weight gain counteracting the loss. There is an abundance of studies to prove that point. I am a chronic eater and on my own journey down 80 pounds since last Feb. I did lots of research and met with nutritionists, doctors, dieticians etc,.

On a side note--Over eaters don't eat because they hungry it is an emotional response to other issues.
The hardest part for most over eaters is not the plan it is the behavioral change that is required.

I think alot of the people that gain large amounts of weight back are also the people that weren't doing this as a lifestyle change but doing it as a quick fix to weight lose.

I think alot of the people that gain large amounts of weight back are also the people that weren't doing this as a lifestyle change but doing it as a quick fix to weight lose.

Couldn't agree more Nerfny. There is no quick fix, it has to be a lifestyle change. I learned that when I used weight watchers (and was still hungry all the time) but with Atkins I've successfully made that change and my body is thanking me for it every day. I feel better than I have in years.

No matter the method if you aren't 100% in it for a change, you'll always struggle.

Started a new mass gaining program today. Workout was extremely tough. Upped calories some and going to lift full body 3 times per week and do cardio one to two times.

Just finished my night time protein shake. 400 calories and tastes just like a giant Reeses but has 45 grams of protein. Yum!

Just finished my night time protein shake. 400 calories and tastes just like a giant Reeses but has 45 grams of protein. Yum!

Do most protein shakes have that many calories? I drink them during the week while I am working out however I am not trying to gain weight, just the opposite :D.

Do most protein shakes have that many calories? I drink them during the week while I am working out however I am not trying to gain weight, just the opposite :D.

I use Muscle Milk "Cookies & Cream" and it is 310 calories for 2 scoops which is 32 grams of protein. So, I think that is right inline with what Schweitzer referred to.

I use Muscle Milk "Cookies & Cream" and it is 310 calories for 2 scoops which is 32 grams of protein. So, I think that is right inline with what Schweitzer referred to.

Well it's not so bad if I look back at the calorie intake I used to consume from a weekend packed with cold beer. I will now have only a couple of them after my round of golf. I guess I finally figured out my body can't hang like it used to with the party type behavior.:drinks::bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:
Back