ANNOUNCEMENT AMA - Ask me Anything About THP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does SoundCloud garner more listens than other platforms for the podcasts?

I always listen to the bar below the SoundCloud link.... I find SoundCloud restarts the podcast if I pause and have to walk away.

Are you still in touch with Snell? It just popped into my head, thinking there was an event with them years back.
Yes. I spoke to someone there just a few weeks ago actually.
I genuinely do not believe that is a long term product. I say this strictly as my opinion though.

How does something like the Vokey Experience come to be? There’s obviously a relationship in place already with Titleist, is it them coming to you asking if you want to set something up in concert with a specific release, you going to them, or a little bit of both?

The pressing question, who is the next conference call with today?

Now? Haha.
We will probably cut back next year.
I was wondering how you were going to swing this year because it seems like a ton of travel! That on top of your OEM visits and I’m sure other trips that take place

Is the DTC ball market at the peak of a bubble currently? Do you anticipate seeing companies start to disappear?

what do you see as the biggest current challenge facing amateur golf? biggest opportunity?
Oh great question and something I have analyzed quite a bit.

Biggest right now are two things. Pace of play. Without question is one of the biggest issues. People just do not have 6 hours to be gone from family between drive there, practice, play, settle up or eat and drive home. THe other is cost. While everything is more expensive, people dont have a ton of cash lying around it seems. While the reasons are faily obvious as to why, they borderline getting a bit political, so will leave that part out of it. But every facet of golf is more expensive.

Interesting side note to that. I was with the head of golf balls last week for a major OEM. Price has gone up across the board for them. For those wondering and for those that keep screaming the big man is all about profit? Margins havent grown one bit, in fact shrunk on a number of skus. Every aspect is more expensive. Materials, labor, packaging, design, shipping, fuel, electricity, etc etc etc.

No. Nothing comes close to the service/course/food and hospitality currently offered and its not even close.
As a follow-up, do you miss not having events at Hammock Beach? That place is special to you, and it has become special to me since it was the site of my first THP experience. But the pricing lately has been rough.

I’d like to know more about how you arrived at such a diverse set of shafts in your bag.

I think you noted once a regular or senior in a driver and stiff in irons.

I get that different shafts bend and measure stiffness differently but it seems hard to control such a disparity, more so if the driver is ultra light and irons are conventional around 110gms?

Thanks!
I was fit for them by brilliant minds.
My irons are stiff, my second driver is stiff, my wedges are X, but my driver is a prototype that is X in the hands, X towards the tip, S at the tip and Ladies flex in the middle.

I would understand if you skipped this one, but has there been pushback from the Dormie Network on experience pace of play? I know specific events have had some pros ask to pick it up, but is it problematic as a whole?

Does SoundCloud garner more listens than other platforms for the podcasts?

I always listen to the bar below the SoundCloud link.... I find SoundCloud restarts the podcast if I pause and have to walk away.
Oh goodness no. In fact I dont even like the service, but it makes it easy to put on the forum and website as well as take individual clips from a certain show out for social media.

How does something like the Vokey Experience come to be? There’s obviously a relationship in place already with Titleist, is it them coming to you asking if you want to set something up in concert with a specific release, you going to them, or a little bit of both?
No, all of our experiences start similarly, which is me coming up with a hair brained scheme and then GolferGal toning it down a bit and then me reaching out to a company I think can host it well. To me its about the equipment and the people in place. If the people at a brand suck, it means we wont do an event with them. I say that as genuinely as possible as we do them with a lot of brands. Who we host with is 100% our choice.

For Vokey specifically I was speaking to the head of the wedge department about a different idea. He asked if we had a spot to do it with them now and I said possibly. The rest is history.

I was wondering how you were going to swing this year because it seems like a ton of travel! That on top of your OEM visits and I’m sure other trips that take place
About 100-150 days on the road this year is ambitious. But I think we can pull it off.

Seems like those in the golf business don't get to play all that much golf.
Depends. I think I will play close to 75 rounds this year when all is said and done with the Experiences.

Is the DTC ball market at the peak of a bubble currently? Do you anticipate seeing companies start to disappear?
It depends when the next sale is on Alibaba. :ROFLMAO:

As a follow-up, do you miss not having events at Hammock Beach? That place is special to you, and it has become special to me since it was the site of my first THP experience. But the pricing lately has been rough.
No. I love that property for a lot of reasons, and the finishing holes (9 and 18) at the Ocean Course are two of my favorite in all of golf. Might actually be my favorite. But it is so crowded currently that its just not ideal.

Is it safe to assume 2024 is planned and finished? Or are there still things in the works being setup for this year?

I was fit for them by brilliant minds.
My irons are stiff, my second driver is stiff, my wedges are X, but my driver is a prototype that is X in the hands, X towards the tip, S at the tip and Ladies flex in the middle.
So that driver what is it ‘rated’ or is it s one off? And one’s driver swing would seem to be different with that middle flex, to maintain control?

X wedges! Nice do you make full swings with them or are they mostly finesse around the greens clubs? I’ve often wondered about stiffness in wedges for finesse (sort of like the all in putter shaft.

I would understand if you skipped this one, but has there been pushback from the Dormie Network on experience pace of play? I know specific events have had some pros ask to pick it up, but is it problematic as a whole?
Yes. In fact a lot recently.
If you notice a few of our larger fields we have gone to shamble instead of best ball for final rounds because of it.
It is something I am working on currently with some ideas.

he keeps declining my offer to do a weekly show about cardboard nonsense and general tomfuckery.
I did not make a mental note about that slipping through the profanity filter. 👀

Also yes please.

Is it safe to assume 2024 is planned and finished? Or are there still things in the works being setup for this year?
I would not assume that sir. Not everything has been announced or even planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back