Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

I wouldnt recommend iron covers. Whenever i see someone with those, i dont take them serious. I dont believe they are willing to get them dirty. If you are going to cover the irons, depending on the finish, the nickel finish is alot different than the shiney finish for the fact that they dont get the bag chatter as often.

Well with a +2 handicap you should probably only take yourself seriously.

Do people that wipe their clubs after each shot make you not take them seriously? Those would be some terribly clean clubs. What could possibly be wrong with someone who doesn't want the look of their irons to diminish with bag chatter?

I take pride in how my clubs look. I paid the money for them. And I want to get the most I can when I'm looking to sell them and get new. So I do wipe and cover them, and if that makes you not take me serious then oh well. I don't judge anyone really, unless their wearing flip flops on the 8th hole.:banana:

I've had a number of sets of clubs, and mostly forged. I've always used covers - I hate them getting dinged up in the bag plus it helps for resale.

Each to his own, and plenty of people don't use them on the other hand i also see plenty of people who do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be purchasing some iron head covers stat. I want to keep my new RXT's in pristine condition.

I will be purchasing some iron head covers stat. I want to keep my new RXT's in pristine condition.

I've been debating this too, I hate using them to be honest, but I want to clubs to be nice and shiny for TMC!

I took soooo much heat for using covers on another thread last year :confused2: This one cracks me up. Guess I'm not the only un-serious golfer here.

I just got some callaway iron covers and they are perfect for the ping anser irons I have. The covers are very easy to manage and are snug, but not to tight to where it's a pain getting them off (literally takes a second to take them off and 2 seconds to put them on).

grab your product from an online store because there where you could get the much more option's to choose the better one for you and it could be discountable also so chose a fine store for you.

I just picked up some club glove neoprenes for my Pro Combos when I go to Florida. You never know how those airlines handle your clubs, scares me to think about it. Anybody have an issue with the club gloves being a pain to get on and off? Or is this going to happen when they're new?

Head covers for irons. Am I alone?

Head covers for irons. Am I alone?

I picked up my set of NOS Taylor Made R9's today and the Woman in the store asked me if I wanted a set of matching head covers to keep them pristine.

I've never used head covers for my irons before (but this is only my 3rd ever set), so after looking at her in a confused way for a couple of seconds I declined.

Now I'm wondering if I'm in a minority here and if Iron covers are actually a good idea when you start spending more on your equipment.

What does the forum say? Store trying to cash in on the excitement of new gear or a genuinely good idea to protect my investment?

Your hitting the ground with a hunk of metal on the end of a stick. Theyre going to get dirty and scratched. Bag chatter is all the same IMO

Merged with a recent thread on the subject.

Thanks Smallville, I obviously don't have the hang of thread searches yet :)

I just picked up some club glove neoprenes for my Pro Combos when I go to Florida. You never know how those airlines handle your clubs, scares me to think about it. Anybody have an issue with the club gloves being a pain to get on and off? Or is this going to happen when they're new?

May be just the opposite. My friend has a set of blades and they're always falling off. The Pro Combo, even the cavity backs have such a slim profile to them that if anything you may have trouble keeping them on

Thats because iron covers are for people who play shovels. Not serious blade golfers. :alien:
May be just the opposite. My friend has a set of blades and they're always falling off. The Pro Combo, even the cavity backs have such a slim profile to them that if anything you may have trouble keeping them on

Thats because iron covers are for people who play shovels. Not serious blade golfers. :alien:

The Pro Combos are so pretty, I'd cover them too. Even if I had to
buy new ones every week bc they fell off.

The Pro Combos are so pretty, I'd cover them too. Even if I had to
buy new ones every week bc they fell off.

It's not even for rounds. I understand bag chatter, which is normal, but when I travel, I'd rather not have a big chunk of my 6 iron missing because some airline jerk decided to throw my clubs 20 feet across the floor. haha. I only have a soft covered case too.

I think this is a great thread to bring back because I've seen a LOT of discussion about the idea of using iron covers, and I really want to see why people are so strongly for or against them.

For me, it's all about that damn bag chatter. My Mizuno MP-32 blades had lots of chatter on them, and more recently, my Mizuno MP-63s have started to get noticeably more chatter... So I am personally seriously considering it for my Nike VR Pro Combo irons.

What do you think? Why or why not?

I think this is a great thread to bring back because I've seen a LOT of discussion about the idea of using iron covers, and I really want to see why people are so strongly for or against them.

For me, it's all about that damn bag chatter. My Mizuno MP-32 blades had lots of chatter on them, and more recently, my Mizuno MP-63s have started to get noticeably more chatter... So I am personally seriously considering it for my Nike VR Pro Combo irons.

Couple reasons:

1. played with several people who had them and every one of them took forever to play because of the iron covers. Whether it was taking them off or putting them on or just losing them and having to go back and find them. It never failed, they'd hold up play.

2. Irons are gonna get beat up. They are designed to take the beating, I think you are just postponing the inevitable. I babied my irons when I first got them too... I wouldn't even hit out of bunkers for the first month, so I get the idea of saving them :D

Plus I like that sound of the irons clanking together, it's one of those sounds that iron covers are taking away...where will that clanking go??? The way of the metal spikes on concrete? I miss that one.

3. Ridicule factor off the charts in my group. Just not going to subject myself to that.

It's just an opinion and honestly, could care less if people use them as long as they don't hold up play. I could see using them for dust covers in storage or maybe travel.

Good reasons!! I know I cringe when I hear my irons clanking around in my trunk (well, backseat I guess - Hatchback) and always think about how the iron covers would save any chatter there..

I do hear the keeping up with play and it's silly to me that people can lose 5 dollar balls every couple holes but can't deal with losing a 2 dollar headcover.. I guess I struggle with the slow play thing, considering everyone uses headcovers on Drivers/woods/ hybrids already.. Seems like those slow players may just be slow players in general!

I keep everything covered. I haate hearing the clanking, and I diffinately dot want to scratch my driver...

Couple reasons:

1. played with several people who had them and every one of them took forever to play because of the iron covers. Whether it was taking them off or putting them on or just losing them and having to go back and find them. It never failed, they'd hold up play.

2. Irons are gonna get beat up. They are designed to take the beating, I think you are just postponing the inevitable. I babied my irons when I first got them too... I wouldn't even hit out of bunkers for the first month, so I get the idea of saving them :D

Plus I like that sound of the irons clanking together, it's one of those sounds that iron covers are taking away...where will that clanking go??? The way of the metal spikes on concrete? I miss that one.

3. Ridicule factor off the charts in my group. Just not going to subject myself to that.

It's just an opinion and honestly, could care less if people use them as long as they don't hold up play. I could see using them for dust covers in storage or maybe travel.

+1 What he said.

I keep everything covered. I haate hearing the clanking, and I diffinately dot want to scratch my driver...
I Need to shoot a picture of how I keep my driver in my bag uncovered, yet protected.

I keep my putter, hybrids and 3 wood always covered, and it's mainly from the irons hitting the graphite shafts. I had one snap before from a buddy that ran off the path and hit something and almost killed me.

I will usually just jump in the cart with my club and drive to the next shot or tee box or whatever and put the cover back on there. There are ways people can use the covers and still keep playing quickly, I've just never met them.

When my wife came home on Wednesday and saw the Nike's on the table she said "you are getting covers for those, right". We had already chatted about it as I was torn both ways on the subject. Now that I got them, I am very glad that I did. My only reason for not getting them before was the perception issue.

I always walk so I have time to take care of my clubs while I walk or waiting on others since my bag is always within a few feet. I could see how being a cart rider it could be slower. The Club Glove Glove Skin's are nice!! Only wish the PW cover was a tad more snug but hard to find decent covers for some of the smaller headed irons.

Back