At what point does more spin help?

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
It seems like I get the most carry distance (and total distance) I'm capable of when I can get a 16* or better LA and less than 2200 rpm spin with my ~100 mph club head speed. I know this not only from hitting on an LM (GC2 and trackman), but also on the range where I lasered the actual distances.

More spin helps from the 8-9 iron and down. Imagine hitting a gapwedge into a green and the ball doing hop-and-stop or even spinning back.

On longer clubs less spin is more distance *and* straighter. For both a draw and a fade you want spin :)

On longer clubs less spin is more distance *and* straighter. For both a draw and a fade you want spin :)

This is not entirely accurate. Spin can elevate the ball, therefore it is completely dependent on the person swinging if they need more or less spin to maximize distance.

In my experiences, moderately elevated amounts of spin are a very good thing if you launch the ball too low. Like JB said it gets the ball in the air. Also, speaking in generalities, the more back spin you have the less side spin the ball will have. Meaning if you struggle with a slice of hook a little more spin might actually make you a little straighter.

By no means an expert, just what I have seen.

So more spin is good for a low launch?

So more spin is good for a low launch?

It can be. Its not a yes/or black and white thing, as it depends on the person. For years I was plagued with low launch and high spin. I needed to raise launch without raising spin and was able to do so with the golf ball and finding the right head, along with some swing tweaks.

It can be. Its not a yes/or black and white thing, as it depends on the person. For years I was plagued with low launch and high spin. I needed to raise launch without raising spin and was able to do so with the golf ball and finding the right head, along with some swing tweaks.

Makes sense, thanks. I've always been the opposite, always hit the ball high and struggled to hit it lower. When I finally was able to hit my driver lower I found it doesn't go as far.

Quit worrying so much about spin and focus more on ball speed and launch angle.

At your ss, 16° is a good driver launch angle as long as ball speed isn't affected and you're not on some extreme end of the spectrum with spin.

Not worried about it, just curious. Plus I am kind of a numbers geek. I'm actually very happy with my driving at the moment, never hit it better, but I am always looking for more. (as we all are I suppose)

Come on out to the live driver testing next month and you can test out just about everything and find out real numbers outside on the range.

I'm pulling all the strings I can to make that happen. I might have to do a turn and burn that day though.

Sorry that was probably worded wrong given what I was trying to say.

Taylormade's assertion that 17° LA and 1700rpm will produce the most carry and roll is a good one if we are looking at total distance and taking misses out of the equation. However, if you look at the carry numbers, which are really all you can rely on in many cases, the difference between distances with 140mph ball speed (reasonable at 100mph SS), 17° LA and these spin rates goes like this:

1700 - 228
2700 - 232
3700 - 226

Now, if we drop LA down to 12 at all the same metrics, we see this:

1700 - 206
2700 - 220
3700 - 221

Launch angle and ball speed are your friends, spin can dial you in and certainly help with total distance after impact with the ground and there are some wind-related implications there too, but if I was picking one thing to worry least about it would be spin.

Taylormade's assertion that 17° LA and 1700rpm will produce the most carry and roll is a good one if we are looking at total distance and taking misses out of the equation. However, if you look at the carry numbers, which are really all you can rely on in many cases, the difference between distances with 140mph ball speed (reasonable at 100mph SS), 17° LA and these spin rates goes like this:

1700 - 228
2700 - 232
3700 - 226

1700 - 206
2700 - 220
3700 - 221

Launch angle and ball speed are your friends, spin can dial you in and certainly help with total distance after impact with the ground and there are some wind-related implications there too, but if I was picking one thing to worry least about it would be spin.

Good info, thanks.

1700 - 228
2700 - 232
3700 - 226

1700 - 206
2700 - 220
3700 - 221

This is fantastic sir.

if I was picking one thing to worry least about it would be spin.
I think it's amazing that so many people are worried about lowering their spin numbers. Why do you all think that is?

I think it's amazing that so many people are worried about lowering their spin numbers. Why do you all think that is?

Well, there is some benefit it we look at landing angle and the roll that is associated with that. Flatter impact will increase total distance in almost every situation.

However, that's in a perfect world. Fact is, most ams have to compromise or pick and choose what gets them the most bang for their buck. Very few will be able to attain a perfect combo of high LA and low spin.

Marketing and the confusion most amateurs have about how high is too high. I tried for years to bring my spin and ball flight down, for no reason at all. I played X stiff low launch shafts and heavy iron shafts. I now play XP95 irons and higher launch stiff driver shafts. I can't tell you how often I hear "that's too high". I just grin and say "yeah". I know I'm now longer and straighter than before.

Because too much spin off the driver can create turbulence and drag. At least that's the way it was explained to me by someone a lot smarter than I am when it comes to physics.

Well, there is some benefit it we look at landing angle and the roll that is associated with that. Flatter impact will increase total distance in almost every situation.

However, that's in a perfect world. Fact is, most ams have to compromise or pick and choose what gets them the most bang for their buck. Very few will be able to attain a perfect combo of high LA and low spin.
And there is some benefit as the ball can only spin on one axis, therefore accuracy comes into play, but that is not what most are usually discussing.

As is usually the case, its more complicated than just 'spin.' Here is a table. There are many like it out there, and some of them probably even say different things. I know there are some that differentiate between carry and total distance, which may be important depending on the usual turf conditions you play on. I also include another table that purports the show the best launch angle and spin for various ball speeds. Use at your own risk. I'm not a number chaser, so I can't possibly verify the accuracy of the information.

launchSpace_driver.gif

post-17212-1175593825-1.jpg

There are literally dozens and maybe even hundreds of tables like these. But again, I'm not about to tell you whether they are accurate or not. I simply put them here to demonstrate that several factors go into distance. Note that these are referring to driver only.

~Rock

As is usually the case, its more complicated than just 'spin.' Here is a table. There are many like it out there, and some of them probably even say different things. I know there are some that differentiate between carry and total distance, which may be important depending on the usual turf conditions you play on. I also include another table that purports the show the best launch angle and spin for various ball speeds. Use at your own risk. I'm not a number chaser, so I can't possibly verify the accuracy of the information.

launchSpace_driver.gif

post-17212-1175593825-1.jpg

There are literally dozens and maybe even hundreds of tables like these. But again, I'm not about to tell you whether they are accurate or not. I simply put them here to demonstrate that several factors go into distance. Note that these are referring to driver only.

~Rock

Like you said , there are tons of opinions, but for my ball speed, that launch looks low for optimal, and the spins seems a little higher. It's always so interesting what is thrown out there.

With trajectory optimizer from FlightScope you really don't have to guess or use the outdated charts anymore. It's all there at your fingertips.

Location plays a part in that too no doubt. Having a really high launch and no spin is great on firmer conditions, but if you play in soft or really windy? Not so good. Also, too low spin and it knuckles something stupid and just falls out of the air. Also not so good.

Not worried about it, just curious. Plus I am kind of a numbers geek. I'm actually very happy with my driving at the moment, never hit it better, but I am always looking for more. (as we all are I suppose)
Actually no, there's quite a few of us that are willing to sacrifice distance for precision. I'm one of them, though compared to many others I am quite long hitting :)

This is not entirely accurate. Spin can elevate the ball, therefore it is completely dependent on the person swinging if they need more or less spin to maximize distance.

True. This is why I use a ball with some spin and a higher lofted driver.

Back