Auto Racing Thread

I heard an idea floated that they should make the race a mandatory 3-stop.

Yes, it's contrived but it couldn't hurt the 78 lap procession it currently is.

It would be even better if they just put sprinklers on the track and teams were guaranteed that 60% of the laps would be wet or something. Just MAKE IT INTERESTING.

The historical grand prix a few weeks back was just fantastic. They may have wrecked Niki Lauda's historical car, but the racing was so entertaining!

I’m hoping the 2022 will be better for overtaking, it will definitely help that they will be smaller (length) than the current cars and the change in aero regulations might let them follow closer.
Not sure Monaco has ever been great for F1 since the 90’s/20’s - the only thing that made the races exciting was the unrealability of the cars. I’m sure they could do something about tyre degradation too… they spend way too managing tyres. I want to see fast tyres that last 10 laps at best but are sooo much quicker than the next softest tyre and then make the teams make a decision. It would mix up the grid, make it harder for the strategists to find clear areas of track to drop in to. I think refuelling should come back too as that will mix it up also.

Gah. I'm gutted.

Pirelli should probably stick to rubber duckies.

I don’t know if there are any MotoGP fans in here, but today’s Spanish Grand Prix was superb. Fabio Quatararo riding the last 3 laps with his race suit unzipped after his airbag inflated took some pretty big balls, although he probably should have been black flagged on safety grounds.

Was out this morning and dvr'd the F1 race. Pretty crazy ending. Max had em covered easily today. Happy to see Ferrari near the front again the last few weeks though. I fear it won't last but it's been awhile

That was finally an entertaining F1 race and an entertainingly unpredictable weekend all around. Personally I like the idea of tires not lasting a whole race distance - force multiple stops if possible!
Of course I am glad that no one was hurt but maybe Pirelli should issue an edict that their tires simply just don’t last and the teams are up to managing that.

I know I'm late to the party here, but does anyone else follow 410 winged sprint car racing? Or wingless/USAC National midgets? By far the most "edge of your seat" exciting form of racing there is. It is a way of life here in Pennsylvania.

Mercedes really on their back foot. Been awhile.
They might be quite a bit behind after 2 weeks at the red bull ring.

Mercedes really on their back foot. Been awhile.
They might be quite a bit behind after 2 weeks at the red bull ring.
We can only hope.
I pulled a few muscles in my arm fist pumping when Max made the overtake. Exciting race from start to finish.

Max should not have been allowed to make that overtake. Mercedes flubbed that BADLY. Poor Valteri.
I find 90% of F1 drivers to be whiny and annoying in their radio calls but Max really took the cake this weekend.

I’m hoping the 2022 will be better for overtaking, it will definitely help that they will be smaller (length) than the current cars and the change in aero regulations might let them follow closer.
Not sure Monaco has ever been great for F1 since the 90’s/20’s - the only thing that made the races exciting was the unrealability of the cars. I’m sure they could do something about tyre degradation too… they spend way too managing tyres. I want to see fast tyres that last 10 laps at best but are sooo much quicker than the next softest tyre and then make the teams make a decision. It would mix up the grid, make it harder for the strategists to find clear areas of track to drop in to. I think refuelling should come back too as that will mix it up also.

Just watch IndyCar instead. What you are hoping F1 to be in 2022 is exactly what IndyCar is now. 231 on track passes (194 for position) at Road America yesterday. IndyCar has produced the best racing for quite some time now.

Just watch IndyCar instead. What you are hoping F1 to be in 2022 is exactly what IndyCar is now. 231 on track passes (194 for position) at Road America yesterday. IndyCar has produced the best racing for quite some time now.
I wish they could port the F1 announcers over to Indycar, or at least train them. Every time I watch the highlights on youtube, the announcers really kill it for me with it being so overdone - the podracer announcers in Star Wars Episode 1 really come to mind.

Max should not have been allowed to make that overtake. Mercedes flubbed that BADLY. Poor Valteri.
I find 90% of F1 drivers to be whiny and annoying in their radio calls but Max really took the cake this weekend.

I think Sir Lewis likes playing radio games. Bottas had the strategy figured out, but I don’t think the engineers did. I like seeing 2 Redbulls on the podium, and would love a McLeran up there.

I think Sir Lewis likes playing radio games. Bottas had the strategy figured out, but I don’t think the engineers did. I like seeing 2 Redbulls on the podium, and would love a McLeran up there.
Agreed. I'm team Mclaren so I'm happy with their performance and their head-down nature.

The Miami F1 track will be an indicator of what F1 will or won't be in the next 10 years. The track is being designed for the modern F1 car, which several DRS zones and a couple long straights. It should be a spectacle. Monaco is unwatchable at this point.

Max is on a roll in F1. If it weren’t for a blown tire he would be running away with the Driver’s competition. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s race.

The Miami F1 track will be an indicator of what F1 will or won't be in the next 10 years. The track is being designed for the modern F1 car, which several DRS zones and a couple long straights. It should be a spectacle. Monaco is unwatchable at this point.
The outside scenery is pretty good if you are there from what I hear! 😀

The outside scenery is pretty good if you are there from what I hear! 😀
I know exactly what you are taking about, and yes. Yea it is. If you are ever in town let me know.

I know exactly what you are taking about, and yes. Yea it is. If you are ever in town let me know.

I definitely will be letting you know. I would love to see a race in person. Only been following F1 for a year after watching the Netflix docuseries and love it.

Does karting count as auto racing?
539E990A-ECF6-4E0A-ABA8-9A20D8547AEB.jpeg

Back