BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Prime rib on the 26 inch Weber at the beach. Turned out epic. Salt brined for 24 hours. Heavy dusting of fresh cracked pepper. Stuffed with garlic and Rosemary between ribs. Brushed with garlic butter for last hour. 225-275 for 4 hours.

IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
IMG_3660.jpg

Found the capacity limit yesterday of my Summit Kamado. It's 4 chickens:
0w8g2ut.jpg
Those look fantastic! I can taste summer bbq from your photo.

Also, not everyday you see someone grilling 4 whole chickens!

Those look fantastic! I can taste summer bbq from your photo.

Also, not everyday you see someone grilling 4 whole chickens!
Haha I agree, bbq chicken really is such a highlight taste of summer for me too!

4 chickens was the result of COVID really - since the family can't come over to eat I have to make takeout versions of everything.

Haha I agree, bbq chicken really is such a highlight taste of summer for me too!

4 chickens was the result of COVID really - since the family can't come over to eat I have to make takeout versions of everything.
I actually just bought a bunch of chicken to grill this week. I'm going to try making fajitas solely on the BBQ. We'll see how that turns out...

That is some great takeout!!

I think I'm nailing this 3-2-1 rib method... IMG_20210531_180248.jpg

Didn’t smoke anything this weekend but did spend some time in KC. Went to Jack Stack and had the Jack’s Best (Crown Rib, Burnt Ends, and Ribs). Meat sweats started about 90 min after I was done…. 😃

1AA66BA5-354B-40B1-BD9D-0AFB78746827.jpeg

What a Thursday thru Monday Meat-a-palooza... I hardly ever bother to take pictures but here it goes. Thursday started with brisket & pulled pork, sauteed veggies and corn on the cob. Friday, since we had our 5th winter in Ohio, I thawed out a gallon of chili. Had to enhancify it a little bit and we grilled some Nathans hot dogs to go along. Saturday my buddy smoked a rib roast and we grilled scallops & shrimp on the flat-top, sides were street corn and roasted red potatoes with baby spinach in mustard sauce. Sunday I was up early and smoked four racks of ribs with some lump charcoal and apple wood chips. Red beans & rice, mac'n'cheese topped off the carb end of things.

Yesterday, while I fired up the charcoal for fresh ground beef burgers & hot dogs, my son played Taps at our friends' flag pole. He did very well for his first time playing it (he ran thru it a few times earlier in the day). The grill temp was reading 500 degrees. I tried to keep some under medium but most were medium well as requested. I had sauteed some mushrooms and topped the burgers with white cheddar. Sides were mostly leftovers, though I did redo the mac'n'cheese, adding in some chopped rib meat and topped with cheddar and italian bread crumbs.

I may need to go on a Phil-fast after my morning coffee....

Did some wings in the Recteq yesterday, 250° for 90 minutes and 5 minutes in the air fryer to get em crispy. Yum!!!

AD98BB0B-9E75-49B2-A6E1-46CF2315496A.jpeg

Stumbled into owning a Traeger this past weekend... any recommendations for a maiden cook? Preferably not pork and something that won't take all day (brisket).

Stumbled into owning a Traeger this past weekend... any recommendations for a maiden cook? Preferably not pork and something that won't take all day (brisket).
Some sort of poultry - whole chicken, turkey breast? I love smoked poultry!

Ribs are easy and not a crazy long smoke.... Chicken and/or Turkey is fantastic.... the sky's the limit. Enjoy!!

Turkey breast! Give it a brine, and pull at about 155 degrees. Slice as thin as you can with a knife and pile it on a sandwich with crunchy lettuce, salt and pepper seasoned tomato slices, and mayo. Just about a perfect lunch right there :hungry:

Congrats and welcome to the club. Whole chicken. Super easy and super yummy. Spatchcock if you wanna get crazy.

Get a beer stand from Target/Walmart. Super easy.

Turkey breast! Give it a brine, and pull at about 155 degrees. Slice as thin as you can with a knife and pile it on a sandwich with crunchy lettuce, salt and pepper seasoned tomato slices, and mayo. Just about a perfect lunch right there :hungry:
155? Are you letting it rest for a long time to cook through?

155? Are you letting it rest for a long time to cook through?
Just a couple minutes. Salmonella is killed in less than 2 minutes at that temperature, plus it's likely going to keep rising a little

Edit: This article is about sous vide, but it covers the food safe time and temperature numbers that I use for turkey

Last edited:
Yep - I never cook my poultry breasts to 165 anymore if I have them as standalone cuts. I probe till I get 150, then let it cook for a few more minutes to make sure that it maintains that temperature and by the time I pull it they're generally 155F.
In a SV I will generally choose to go even lower for longer.

I pull poultry off at 155-158 now. My wife still wants me wait for 165 but I find it a bit too dry at that point. 150 and rest is plenty safe so I go 155 to compromise.

Pork getting ready to go on for a low and slow. This butt is from a local farm called Smokin Oaks known for their pork.

8399F677-5483-4147-9413-85C751E83DD7.jpeg

Picked up some ribs, they only had st Louis so I cut off the top portion.. do I smoke the top part for the same 2-2-1 or maybe just the last 3 hours?
20210608_125328.jpg

85D167FD-F3A1-4122-9E6E-C3F49941CCD1.jpeg

Not too much longer.
E00EC1B7-A549-42EA-8042-449DD6474D7A.jpeg

Did not know I was supposed to take pictures - but smoked chicken wings - about 3 or 4 lbs of them 2 hours at 250ish indirect and then 5 min each side on high direct.

They are great - and I am lazy, just buy the ready to cook from costco - mostly garlic seasoned. But smoke - makes it really good.

Back