Club Glider. This may be the only category of gear in golf where there truly is one best option.

Ive had a few cases and Id have to agree

I’m starting to amend my answer on this one as a user. I have had two wheels on two different bags break. Fixable though.

I really enjoy the system, but I have explored options as of late.

JB - just out of curiosity how often do you use your Club Glider and how old was it before you experienced a wheel failure?

Recommendations for hard case or soft travel bags, pros and cons of each?
I will be in the market for one very soon :)

I know why!!!!

Edit: I got the Bag Boy from GolfDom here in VA for 80 bucks and then the spine thing that goes in the bag.

JB - just out of curiosity how often do you use your Club Glider and how old was it before you experienced a wheel failure?

The first one had a wheel fall off after the 4th use.
The second one had a wheel fall off after about the 12th use.

I contacted the company and had them fix it, I gave the first one to mikedean441.
I have used the Grandaddy Callaway travel bag the last two trips, but for Shaft Up, figured I would bring this one back as I am packing lighter. First time will be with the new wheel.

I also dont use a stiff arm. Never had an issue with breaking clubs (I travel quite a bit) and just take the heads off the clubs that can be removed.

ClubGlider above ALL else.

I have about 35 trips on mine now, and not one single issue at all.

I know why!!!!

Edit: I got the Bag Boy from GolfDom here in VA for 80 bucks and then the spine thing that goes in the bag.

:clap: The club glider sounds like the favorite here, but at @$250 for the minimal number of times I'll use it is a bit more than I want to spend.

I think there are several really good options out there. First thing I would say to you is, be honest with yourself on how much you might use it. I wouldn't spend 300 on a travel bag that might get used once or twice. I don't have one, but I like the slider bag a lot when going through the airport, it's so damn easy(James makes me push his bag when we travel). I've used a GTB Turtle 2(which looks like the Bag Boy T-10), it's a softer body with a hard shell top. I've had that thing since 2006 and it's been fantastic for me. Have used my grandaddy one once or twice and it's a good bag, but lacks the storage from my other. Nerfny has a Bag Boy(equivellant to their T-750), it's been used maybe 7 times and she hasn't had any issues with that.

Add me in for another Club Glider vote. The Ogio bag they gave us at the Grandaddy was awesome but the CG is just so easy to maneuver & has plenty of space (I have the Meridian). Stiff arm if you're concerned about breakage. I also recommend removing heads from applicable woods/hybos & putting them in the pockets or your baggage.

I think there are several really good options out there. First thing I would say to you is, be honest with yourself on how much you might use it. I wouldn't spend 300 on a travel bag that might get used once or twice. I don't have one, but I like the slider bag a lot when going through the airport, it's so damn easy(James makes me push his bag when we travel). I've used a GTB Turtle 2(which looks like the Bag Boy T-10), it's a softer body with a hard shell top. I've had that thing since 2006 and it's been fantastic for me. Have used my grandaddy one once or twice and it's a good bag, but lacks the storage from my other. Nerfny has a Bag Boy(equivellant to their T-750), it's been used maybe 7 times and she hasn't had any issues with that.
That is exactly it. I can't see using it more than a couple times a year if even that much so I'm looking for something reasonably priced that will do a good job of protecting my clubs (don't have a lot of faith in baggage handlers). I'll look into the ones you listed in your post. Thanks again.

:clap: The club glider sounds like the favorite here, but at @$250 for the minimal number of times I'll use it is a bit more than I want to spend.

Yeah man. I do not care how many positive reviews it gets that is way too much money for a suitcase.

Still curious, if price wasn't an issue, to the pros and cons of a hard case vs soft travel bag...any thoughts?

Yeah man. I do not care how many positive reviews it gets that is way too much money for a suitcase.

I totally get that take. I travel with mine quite a bit, plus, I have a **** ton of money in the bag, so I don't mind the cost on something that will make life better/easier.

Still curious, if price wasn't an issue, to the pros and cons of a hard case vs soft travel bag...any thoughts?

I prefer the give of a soft case. There are times I want to cram a few extra things in there and a hard case doesn't offer that. It does offer some extra protection though.

I'd go soft still, I'm not a fan of the weight of hard cases.

(translation: I carry too many clubs when I travel, LOL)

I prefer the give of a soft case. There are times I want to cram a few extra things in there and a hard case doesn't offer that. It does offer some extra protection though.

Thank you. That was my biggest question was whether the added protection was worth it and it also takes up a lot more space when not in use.

I totally get that take. I travel with mine quite a bit, plus, I have a **** ton of money in the bag, so I don't mind the cost on something that will make life better/easier.

Yeah I get that it makes sense. I just do not use one enough to justify spending a ton of money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I get that it makes sense. I just do not use one enough to justify spending a ton of money on it.

Totally makes sense to me.

I remember reading before buying one last Spring that the snaps or buckles that close the hard case break often. I can’t remember if that was just a specific brand of bag just remember it sticking in my mind.

I've had my Sun Mountain Meridian Glider since 2010 with at least a couple trips a year on it and we've had a few less on the smaller journey we got a couple years later. Both have held up extremely well...only one small spot of rubbing on the Meridian at the bottom where it probably got hit hard unloading at some point. I've added duct tape to that small area as probably overkill protection.

Great padding but I still use a Club Glove stick with them.

Sorry to read that JB has has a couple of problems with wheels...not here. Being able to pull a loaded bag with literally one finger with the wheels out and the wheels supporting the weight is huge when standing in line at check-in. Compared to others supporting the weight of their travel bags as they go through the lineup.

I will say that strictly on an eyeball and feel test, the newer Glider bags don't seem to have quite as sturdy material as ours, especially my slightly older Meridian. But as I say that is strictly an eyeball test, and probably there continues to be improvements in material engineering.

What I don't get is not spending sufficient dough on a travel bag to protect your clubs. $250 bucks isn't close to the price of a new driver even, and even one broken club would really mess up one's holiday. If I was going for a short trip and only playing a round or two, then I can see just renting. Shipsticks isn't really an option from Canada but I suppose it might be consideration for folks in the US.

Travelled once with a foresome and one chap had a hard case. Unless you rent a van, pickup truck or huge SUV, it wouldn't fit sideways in the Ford Explorer we rented. Was a huge PIA. I have travelled probably 30+ times with soft vase with no issues. I remove driver and 3 wood heads, put a firm pillow in top and wrap a large towel between clubs and never had an issue.

It sounds like the Club Glider is pretty awesome. When (if ever) it's time to replace my 14 year old Club Glove Last Bag, I'll definitely consider it. That being said, the Last Bag has been a durable (granted I only use it a couple of times a year) and reliable travel bag that still looks practically new (other than the bottom scuff pad). I use a straight arm and haven't taken the heads of of my woods. I do take a couple of beach towels and wrap them around the woods and down into the bag as well as a couple pairs of shoes at the top to help cushion the punishment that our airlines like to dish out. So far so good. Getting mine out of storage next week for a trip down to Orlando.

I picked up a bag boy T10 hard top case last year and thought it was great. Light weight but also some additional protection.

Congrats on the Shaft Up.. super jealous.

Travelled once with a foresome and one chap had a hard case. Unless you rent a van, pickup truck or huge SUV, it wouldn't fit sideways in the Ford Explorer we rented. Was a huge PIA. I have travelled probably 30+ times with soft vase with no issues. I remove driver and 3 wood heads, put a firm pillow in top and wrap a large towel between clubs and never had an issue.

No pillow but I definitely put the rain hood on and stuff it a little with towels to keep them from shifting too much. TSA is going to ruin all of that hard work inspecting the bag so don't get too anal about it.

It sounds like the Club Glider is pretty awesome. When (if ever) it's time to replace my 14 year old Club Glove Last Bag, I'll definitely consider it. That being said, the Last Bag has been a durable (granted I only use it a couple of times a year) and reliable travel bag that still looks practically new (other than the bottom scuff pad). I use a straight arm and haven't taken the heads of of my woods. I do take a couple of beach towels and wrap them around the woods and down into the bag as well as a couple pairs of shoes at the top to help cushion the punishment that our airlines like to dish out. So far so good. Getting mine out of storage next week for a trip down to Orlando.

I will say that the CG has been great from a durability standpoint so far (my other travel bag wore a hole in the bottom on the first trip) and it does have some padding around the top, but I still do something similar.

Back