Reaction score
Handicap
girs
i need a new wireless router
which ones are considered the best?
which do you have?
are you having problems with it?
whats good about it?

I am fond of Belkin. Good range, quality price, ect.

There are a couple ultra high end that are designed for gaming, but they are overkill.

I've used Linksys and Netgear. Both were reliable and easy to set up.

Linksys here. Make sure you 1)Don't broadcast your SSID; 2)Use MAC filtering; and 3)Use WAP-2 Encryption. Also change your router name and password.

I'm still going to put wireless cards in my desktops as well so I don't have wires all over the place. We have to run one around the room to my desk since Jacqui's desk is by the router. I may leave it here since it's here anyway - I can use it for other people's computers that I am working on.

I've got some 5 yr old Linksys that still works like a charm! I echo what Smally says about using WAP-2 encryption for sure. I don't worry so much about broadcasting my SSID or MAC filtering as long as I have encryption setup I don't imagine anyone will be cracking into my humble little config...until now I guess. Hehe.

Linksys here. Make sure you 1)Don't broadcast your SSID; 2)Use MAC filtering; and 3)Use WAP-2 Encryption. Also change your router name and password.

I'm not a network expert (my teams support applications), but I'm pretty sure you mean WEP2. Not familiar with WAP...

Edit: You DID mean WAP-2. My bad. See, I told you I'm not a networking expert!

I'm not a network expert (my teams support applications), but I'm pretty sure you mean WEP2. Not familiar with WAP...

Actually, no not WEP. It's actually WPA-2 and WPA (not WAP hahaha). WEP is the old outdated encryption.

It's a little on the pricey side, but I have the Apple Airport Extreme, and it's rock-solid. Setup was very easy on my Macbook Pro (yes, I'm an Apple fanboy).

It's a little on the pricey side, but I have the Apple Airport Extreme, and it's rock-solid. Setup was very easy on my Macbook Pro (yes, I'm an Apple fanboy).

This is my setup.

Russ, you really can't go wrong with a lot of what's out there just make sure it has good security (WPA2 is a must these days), it's cheap enough now to get a WirelessN as well. Some of your stuff might not even use it but at least if you buy anything that supports it it'll be there for you (plus if you get the dual band one the microwave or the cordless won't interfere with it). Good time to buy since there are tons of sales out there... good luck dude.

+1. I have the Time Machine set up with an Express to expand the signal. Dead easy to set up and zero problems.

thanks guys... ill look into all this and its funny you guys mention security cuz apparently my neighbors no nothing about it
im getting poor connections to about 5 neighborhood routers from my living room hahaha

I've used Linksys and Netgear. Both were reliable and easy to set up.

+1 I like netgear better

I don't always post remotely but when I do, I use Tapatalk.

I like the Airport Extreme too. Simulatenous dual band, you can connect hard drives to it for network storage and easy to set up.

Currently use a Netgear since my old Belkin went belly up. Nice Router for a small price

I have a new Netgear that seems to be working pretty good. Cant complain.

I've had several NetGear and Belkin.

Several because I seem to buy one everytime I move instead of just boxing the durn thing up and taking it with me, instead I just give it to a neighbor :)

Linksys router with Tomato Firmware update (Tornado being the second best)

Apple Airport Extreme - easy set-up easy to expand the network and rock solid stability.

I just set this up at home last month but cannot figure out how to change the username and password for Tomato. If you get a chance can you point me in the right direction? Thank you

Netgear for me. Had it for a couple of years and it has never missed a beat.

Linksys is good, AVOID SIEMENS AT ALL COSTS. They are absolute pieces of horse excrement.
We had a wireless gateway given to us by our internet provider that was a modem/router combination, and the stupid thing couldn't hold a connection for more than a couple hours.
It only had WEP security, and it even said to re-start it every two weeks or so.

They all have pros and cons,get one that fits your budget and house size and you will be fine,hell even the most basic ones are decent.

Anyone have any experience with the Apple Time Capsule. Seems a little pricey but a cool idea and Im sure simple to set up.

do wireless routers go bad?My laptop is only finding one wireless router out of two in my house.I'm having to use the back up one that is installed in the junction box in the closet wall.this unit connection is always poor due to being in the wall,while the other one was plugged into one of the outlets in one of the bedrooms.

Do you think the wireless router went bad or is it an issue with our computers?

I was thinking of picking one of these up today, our Belkin is awful and we are just about fully converted to Apple in the house with 2 airbooks, 2 iPads, 1 mac, 1 touch, and 2 iPhones.

Back