Thanks for this question! You guys gave some really great insight! With that said, I would like to elaborate even further

As a Collegiate Bowler for Georgia Southern University and as a low handicap golfer, I personally believe that golf is a much harder sport. For instance, you can shoot even par one day, and then the very next day under the same conditions shoot an 85. It's just so hard to consistently execute your shots for 18 holes let alone for an entire tournament. I still have yet to play a round of golf where every part of my game was working at its best, and i've been at it for 10 years...Yes, both golf and bowling have a lot of similarities. Both require consistency and accuracy with your shots and repetition in the swing. However, I do believe that the mental aspect of golf is much more physically and emotionally draining. Simply put, you hit more bad shots in golf and you deal with more pressure situations. So naturally you are going to battle emotions. Whereas in bowling, although it takes my full focus to throw the ball the same way every time and to make the right adjustments at the right time as the lanes break down, mentally/emotionally I don't ever go through many ups or downs like I do while playing a round of golf.

To elaborate further, many recreational bowlers don't understand the differences in oil patterns. They go to their local bowling alley and might get lucky and bowl a 200 and say, "hey I can compete with the pros". But they really can't. Even league bowlers who can average 220 would struggle to average 180 in a PBA Tournament. On a House Shot, if you throw a hook, all you have to do is get the ball to the outside part of the lane (the dryer boards) and it will come back in the pocket. You can throw at least 10 different lines with the same ball and get a strike. Pretty much, I can go up to the lane, close my eyes and get a strike on a House Shot. Obviously that's a hyperbole, but I averaged 244 the other day for 8 games in a row and my average in league is 215 and rising :). However, on a Sport Shot or PBA Pattern you cannot do this. First of all you have to find your line to get the ball in the pocket. Once you think you have it figured out, you have to throw it there every time. If you miss one board to the right, the ball won't come back because most sport shots are heavily oiled on the outside boards unlike House shots. If you miss one board left, the ball will over-hook. As well, there are longer and shorter patterns, which also affect the way the ball reacts. My average bowling on sport shots, granted I don't have that much experience, is around 175. That's a huge difference!

With that said, I still think golf is harder. With bowling, I can throw the same shot almost every time. It's just up to the lane conditions to determine if I can get a strike. With golf, even as a low handicapper, hitting pure shots every time is impossible. Even if you hit the shot pure, you might have been set up incorrectly so it goes in the wrong direction lol.

As a fellow Georgia Southern bowler and low handicapper, I have to completely agree here. I expect to roll at least a 200 every single time I pick up a ball, and have averaged around 237 my last nine games bowled. But, my last nine rounds of golf (9 holes) have ranged from +1 to +9. That's a pretty big difference. With bowling though, my scores are generally close to the same. So yes, I think golf is much harder to master than bowling, as I have bowled a few 300's but have never hit a hole-in-one, haha.

I threw my first 300 last night!

Congrats. I have a 298 and about 10 290s. Use to carry a 211 average. I need to get back into bowling

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Thanks!

Last week a guy in my league threw a 299. His last ball looked right in the pocket but didn't finish and left the 8 pin standing.
I really felt bad for him.

I would say bowling is expensive but so is golf. Bowled for years and got burnt out like Biggsy said. My uncle and Dad are both accomplished bowlers. Dad has 1 300 and 1 807 series while my uncle has 15 300s and 2 series over 800. Both of them have quit bowling in leagues as well. 35 straight weeks of bowling is just too much. You have got some great advice here and i wish you the best of luck.

Bowling makes my elbow hurt so I don't do it anymore. Messes up my golf game.

I bowled for quite a while back in the day. Did youth league for 6 years and played in leagues twice during college. Had 2 years where I was a 200+ avg bowler with some high scores and an 800 series but no 300 sadly. I haven't fallen out of love with bowling, I just don't know anyone anymore that enjoys it like I do, so I never go. Since my last league 3 years ago I've bowled 3 times I think. Once for fun, 2nd to get ready for a company charity bowl-a-thon, 3rd the bowl-a-thon! Sports just aren't as fun without some friends around. Same reason I never play a round of golf by myself.

Thanks!

Last week a guy in my league threw a 299. His last ball looked right in the pocket but didn't finish and left the 8 pin standing.
I really felt bad for him.

Man that would be tough, haha.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Another burned-out bowler here. Haven't played in about 2 years.
I enjoyed it, but was never that serious about it, which is why my average never went over 150 and my highest score ever is a 221.
As a recreational bowler, joining a league was the worst thing I could do, and that's also why I will probably never join a golf league. I used to play when I had the time and the money. Once I joined a league, it felt like a job. I had to be there whether or not I wanted to, I had to pay for it whether or not I could afford to, etc.

Taaaaap-a-talk....tap tap taaap-a-talk....give it a little tap-a-rooonie...

I have also "retired" from bowling. It was just getting too expensive and time consuming. I decided to take up golf more than once a month and joined a inexpensive club near my house. I figured I reached my goals in bowling, shoot a 300 game and an 800 series(814), so now I have set my goals for golf. Plus I was going to need a new bowling ball(s) which runs $150-200. At least with golf clubs you can trade them or sell them for a decent percentage of the purchase price.

Grats!!

I had bowling league last night but I think I knocked down more beer cans than bowling pins.

I am a bowler, been bowling since I was like 8. I was on the bowling and golf team in high school. I got burned out and took a 8 yr hiatus in which I played softball about 5 nights a week.

I've been back bowling now for I think this is my 5th year back. I average 216, have shot 300 and the 800 still eludes me. Once I decided to just make it a fun night out with the boys I didn't care anymore. I have a few brews and hope I get lucky and win some $$$. I do get much more enjoyment out of a 41/2 hr $50 round of golf however, but living in michigan I have to find something to do with my winters.

Congrats Drumdog, I bet that 12th shot was nerve-wracking! I saw a friend once have a shot at his first 300 and got a 2 count for a 292. I bet he couldn't do that again if he tried.

I am a bowler, been bowling since I was like 8. I was on the bowling and golf team in high school. I got burned out and took a 8 yr hiatus in which I played softball about 5 nights a week.

I've been back bowling now for I think this is my 5th year back. I average 216, have shot 300 and the 800 still eludes me. Once I decided to just make it a fun night out with the boys I didn't care anymore. I have a few brews and hope I get lucky and win some $$$. I do get much more enjoyment out of a 41/2 hr $50 round of golf however, but living in michigan I have to find something to do with my winters.
The 800 was the one thing I walked away from without ever reaching.

My friends are trying to get me back into it. I just devote my time to golf now, it's more challenging and fun for me. I miss my old bowling buddies though. Hope you get your 800 this season.

I got my first and only 300 and 800 on the same night last year. I choose to get the plaque for the 300 and the ring for the 800. I carry the ring on my keychain now and sent the plaque to my mom. It was a surreal night. I was the most proud of the 800 since I thought that was something I would of never be able to accomplish.

Congrats Drumdog, I bet that 12th shot was nerve-wracking! I saw a friend once have a shot at his first 300 and got a 2 count for a 292. I bet he couldn't do that again if he tried.

My friends are trying to get me back into it. I just devote my time to golf now, it's more challenging and fun for me. I miss my old bowling buddies though. Hope you get your 800 this season.

Thanks, its definitely a tough one to get.

But yeah thats what happened to me. I had some friends that wanted me to bowl as they were short a guy and heard I was decent, that's how they sucked me back in. Like I said though its a fun night out with the boys. I try not to take it serious, but hey last years bowling winnings, paid for my new driver/3wood this summer!!

I was really surprised how calm I was on the 12th ball. To be honest, the one I felt the most pressure on was in the 9th frame.
After that went down, so did my nerves. Don't get me wrong I was a little nervous standing there on the lane for the last ball.
The nerves actually went through the roof a half second after releasing the last ball.
I had seen that 299 the previous week and as soon as the ball left my hand, the nerves exploded.
I knew that I had thrown a good ball, but we all know there are lots of well thrown balls that result in a 9 count.

This league I am in is a mixed league, so it's a great time to get Mrs Drumdog, me, my brother and his wife together for some family fun time.

Good stuff. I still remember the feeling of my first and have the bowling pin trophy they gave me on my desk still.

Bowled a 299 tonight

Bowled a 299 tonight

like the title says I bowled my high game of 299 stuck the 7 pin....pretty pissed.

Wow! That crazy. 1 away from 300! Congrats dude

Very nice.

You'll be thinking about that last pin for a long time...

I know that is frustrating, but still an awesome score congrats.

My best is a measly 211. Felt pretty good about it till now.

Dang. That is impressive man. Be proud of your accomplishment! Keep at it, you'll get it.

Back