Bowling was a big part of my life growing up. My parents owned a bowling alley/bar/restaurant. I bowled in a league for a few years and would like to do it again when my girls are older.

I do have 2 balls and a pair of shoes.
Awesome!! Have been around bowling my entire life as my parents were league bowlers while we were growing up. We spent many evenings in bowling centers. Used to only go so I could play arcade games or for a huge plate of french fries.

Remember bowling leagues early Saturday mornings and having to walk to the center carrying my bowling ball bag. :ROFLMAO:

Started off great last night, then could not get any carry. Missing a few 10 pins didn't help things out. Neither did 2 pocket 7-10's.
Through the first 2 games, had 19 straight shots in the pocket.

244-226-192-190 = 852

Started off great last night, then could not get any carry. Missing a few 10 pins didn't help things out. Neither did 2 pocket 7-10's.
Through the first 2 games, had 19 straight shots in the pocket.

244-226-192-190 = 852

Good series. I hate those dreaded 10 pins. Last week I tried everything under the sun to get them to carry, but nothing worked...consistently.

Good series. I hate those dreaded 10 pins. Last week I tried everything under the sun to get them to carry, but nothing worked...consistently.
10 pins for me are almost always due to a bit too high of ball speed. (y)

10 pins for me are almost always due to a bit too high of ball speed. (y)
Pretty sure that’s reserved for an 8 or 9 pin haha

Pretty sure that’s reserved for an 8 or 9 pin haha
True, depending on angle to the pocket and whether ball is rolling out or still hooking into it. (y)

I miss bowling. Started juniors when I was about 10. I'd wake up at 5am, so excited for 10am league! Couldn't bowl much in high school, but when I got to college, I made the college team (my school had a bowling center in the student union). Junior year, I won a Tier I event and our team rose to Top 10 in the country. I wanted to make it a career, but at the time being left-handed on PBA Tour meant feast or famine. Settled into work life, a few classic leagues, then just faded as life got in the way. Five years ago, my wife and I bowled couples league and I averaged 224 over two seasons. In my career, I had five sanctioned 300s and an 800. Claim to fame, aside from the Tier I title, was being the only lefty ever to shoot sanctioned 300 in a bowling center that closed down after 70 years in business...

Bowling has changed so much. Now, bowling is part of "entertainment multi-plex" venues with theaters, arcades and whirlyball (basketball in bumper cars). People sit on sofas rather than hard plastic benches. Back in the day, when smoking was allowed in the center, you could take ash from ashtrays to apply to your sliding sole when approaches got sticky. Now, all the approaches are sticky because patrons think it's cute to hold a drink in one hand and bowl with the other and there's no ashes to be found.

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm just glad there's still a competitive aspect to it. Nice shooting, THPers!

I miss bowling. Started juniors when I was about 10. I'd wake up at 5am, so excited for 10am league! Couldn't bowl much in high school, but when I got to college, I made the college team (my school had a bowling center in the student union). Junior year, I won a Tier I event and our team rose to Top 10 in the country. I wanted to make it a career, but at the time being left-handed on PBA Tour meant feast or famine. Settled into work life, a few classic leagues, then just faded as life got in the way. Five years ago, my wife and I bowled couples league and I averaged 224 over two seasons. In my career, I had five sanctioned 300s and an 800. Claim to fame, aside from the Tier I title, was being the only lefty ever to shoot sanctioned 300 in a bowling center that closed down after 70 years in business...

Bowling has changed so much. Now, bowling is part of "entertainment multi-plex" venues with theaters, arcades and whirlyball (basketball in bumper cars). People sit on sofas rather than hard plastic benches. Back in the day, when smoking was allowed in the center, you could take ash from ashtrays to apply to your sliding sole when approaches got sticky. Now, all the approaches are sticky because patrons think it's cute to hold a drink in one hand and bowl with the other and there's no ashes to be found.

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm just glad there's still a competitive aspect to it. Nice shooting, THPers!
Yeah, I stay away from the entertainment places for bowling. Plenty still out there. Fortunately in Dallas area there are true centers that are owned by actual bowlers so they know their customers. I will only bowl in true bowling centers. (y)

I'm somewhat happy with Sunday's series. 225-255-215 = 695

The shot on both lanes broke down at the end of the second game and it took a few frames in the 3rd to figure out and then finished with a 6 bagger.

Very good (y) I'm at same average on house shots. Highest for a season has been 231. I've shot 13 300's and 3 800's in sanctioned play.
l

Nice. Pretty equal there. Bowl twice a week. 225 at one house 231 at the other. Shot my 12th 300 last Tuesday and my 6th 800 was at the other house back in Nov.

I'm somewhat happy with Sunday's series. 225-255-215 = 695

The shot on both lanes broke down at the end of the second game and it took a few frames in the 3rd to figure out and then finished with a 6 bagger.
Great shooting! ? I'd be happy with that set for sure.

l

Nice. Pretty equal there. Bowl twice a week. 225 at one house 231 at the other. Shot my 12th 300 last Tuesday and my 6th 800 was at the other house back in Nov.
Awesome! Congrats on your honor scores (y)

Well last 2 nights were pretty rough
223-258 looking good, oh wait 147 last game---I don't know

Ok wed night league I'm avg 231
204-221-203 Not as bad but nowhere near where I needed to be.

Rough night last night that I will chalk up to a bad pair of lanes and their pin racks.

223-205-199 for 627 and was high man on team.

Now for the rough part, I left 12 single pins on the night. 10 of those, yes, 10 were 10 pins left. Didn't matter if I change angle to pocket, ball speed, ball, anything. It was just not wanting to budge for me. Good thing though is I covered all of them. (y)

8th and 9th grade I was high average in our school league...In college the school I went to had one.....yes just one....intercollegiate team......Bowling....Ha So I lettered in bowling in college. Our mascot was the Turtles....And we bowled in Greenwich Village in a building with the lanes on the 2nd floor....Still wear my shoes from 1973...Have a new ball circa 2006 but only play once twice a year.

Rough night last night that I will chalk up to a bad pair of lanes and their pin racks.

223-205-199 for 627 and was high man on team.

Now for the rough part, I left 12 single pins on the night. 10 of those, yes, 10 were 10 pins left. Didn't matter if I change angle to pocket, ball speed, ball, anything. It was just not wanting to budge for me. Good thing though is I covered all of them. (y)

All 10 of those 10's?
That's great !

All 10 of those 10's?
That's great !
Yes sir! Picked up all of them.
I am usually in the 85-90% conversion of that pesky pin. (y)

Yes sir! Picked up all of them.
I am usually in the 85-90% conversion of that pesky pin. (y)
That's good. I'm close to that on 10's. Here are my current stats from both leagues combined. Screenshot_20200130-115435.pngScreenshot_20200130-115456.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-115435.png
    Screenshot_20200130-115435.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200130-115456.png
    Screenshot_20200130-115456.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 2
This includes tournaments which most are bowled on sport patterns and not the typical "house shot".

FB756D43-5AD6-4721-AED1-57A62A5B8949.png

D49D27AA-665D-4DBB-AF27-E177F5DA86A3.png

You have about 400 more games and slightly better numbers on most categories. Our first ball avg was almost identical 9.29 vs 9.27. My problem before was spares. Have improved a bunch on that. But our leaves are almost identical in frequency. 2 and 9 pin are flip flopped and a few others but otherwise pretty close. My guess is the next one that is cut off on your screenshot is the 4-6-7.
Screenshot_20200130-141053.pngScreenshot_20200130-141113.png

Last edited:
I won a new ball at the end of December. I won an Ebonite V2 Vortex, which I wasn't enthusiastic about, but who am I to turn away a free ball. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So I traded the ball and got one that I really wanted, a Roto-Grip UFO.

1580493868069.jpeg

Well, being a new ball, I of course had to use it right away. My Thursday late shift league is not the place to use such a strong ball since the lanes are typically oretty fried from the early 5 person team league. But, I put it into play anyway just to see what it would do.

Surprisingly it lasted a good 2 games last night with me going 255-234 and keeping my speed up. :cool:

Game 3 it was just done as I left 2 splits, a multi pin open and I was left at 61 in 5th frame and then I made a ball change. Salvaged a 179 game 3.

Game 4 my ball change was still working and ended with 247.

So a nice 915 series for our 4 games.

One of the things I struggle with is recognizing the need for the ball switch early. Usually say to myself that I messed up and if I just got it out a little further would be OK but then make a similar miss. Good set overall even with the 3rd game.

Back