Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

I totally loathe loud drivers and refuse to play them, yet I have no problem playing this one because imo its a metallic sound but not a loud or annoying one like that ****** Sq or the likes. There is still a solid nature to the metallic resonance.

It will definitely launch higher than the R15, due mostly to weight placement and design. At Club Clash, it launched quite high for a lot of golfers on the monitors and I found the same.
I was shocked to see a 9.5 launch higher than any 10.5 I've ever hit! Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I cannot wait to see how this one performs!

Last edited:
I went to a fitting at the PGASS. I have hit a bunch of drivers leading into this fitting. I expected to leave with the Ping G LS. The fitter had me hit the Ping G LS, Taylormade M1, Callaway XR 16. After the first round the M1 and the Pig G LS made it through. Then as I am hitting these two drivers and they where not wowing me. Then he brought over the JGR. This was exactly what I was looking for. I left the store with JGR 9.5* stiff stock shaft.

I went to a fitting at the PGASS. I have hit a bunch of drivers leading into this fitting. I expected to leave with the Ping G LS. The fitter had me hit the Ping G LS, Taylormade M1, Callaway XR 16. After the first round the M1 and the Pig G LS made it through. Then as I am hitting these two drivers and they where not wowing me. Then he brought over the JGR. This was exactly what I was looking for. I left the store with JGR 9.5* stiff stock shaft.

I love mine and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Make sure you get a Bridgestone ball fitting! I'm using the e7 now to lower my flight and I gained ball speed along with distance. I really think the face flexes more with a "Firmer" ball. Keep us updated!

Last edited:
I love mine and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Make sure you get a Bridgestone ball fitting! I'm using the e7 now to lower my flight and I gained ball speed along with distance. I really think the face flexes more with a "Firmer" ball. Keep us updated!

Going to get it on the range Wednesday and I am playing Friday. This thing just out preformed the other drivers I tested.

I think this driver might win out over the XR16, I really think it might.

While I'm not huge on the sound, what I am huge on is the launch and spin that I'm getting overall. Mine is paired with the 75g version of the stock NV shaft and tipped to play like an X and I'm consistently seeing in the 13-14* range which, for me, is a big damn deal.

The battle will continue, but right now I'd honestly say, advantage JGR.

While I'm not huge on the sound, what I am huge on is the launch and spin that I'm getting overall. Mine is paired with the 75g version of the stock NV shaft and tipped to play like an X and I'm consistently seeing in the 13-14* range which, for me, is a big damn deal.

That is quite surprising.
But, your bag is always in flux...

This has been pretty my much year as well, to this point. So many awesome drivers available, and it's about finding the one head that suits the current swing the best. In fact, I've got three drivers in the stable right now that suit draw bias, straight bias, and fade bias Dan swings that all produce excellent numbers. it's wild!

That is quite surprising.
But, your bag is always in flux...

It's not surprising. There are countless drivers on the market this year that are exceptional, and Club Clash confirmed that we all have an opportunity to find one that perfectly suits our launch and spin needs. It also won't be surprising in a month when a swing tweak puts the XR16 ahead again.

Well I saw you first hand do damage with both, big time heavyweight battle.

What kind of spin you seeing out of this? I know I for one didnt "elevate" it as well as the XR (by quite a bit).

Well I saw you first hand do damage with both, big time heavyweight battle.

What kind of spin you seeing out of this? I know I for one didnt "elevate" it as well as the XR (by quite a bit).

It and the XR16 are actually practically identical there for me. I saw 2500 out of this and 2650 out of the XR16, which really surprised me how close it was/is.

I just got the JGR on the range. This driver just works me. The sound doesn't bother me but it is loud. All I can saw it is hard not to hit the sweet spot. I found the right driver for me.

This club is amazing. This club just performs. I think I missed 2 fairways out 11 with this club. It plays a perfect draw. When I wanted to step on the club it preformed. This club will not leave the bag for a very longtime. I highly recommend this club.

Well, thanks to a great transaction with Nappy (thanks, Nappy!), I am in possession of this magical instrument. And, it is just that, magical! After two range sessions and 9 holes I can honestly say I think I've found my new gamer. With the R15 I was missing both ways and not elevating the ball enough to get appropriate carry for my swing speed. It seems the low forward CG just doesn't work for me. Well let me tell you, the JGR is exactly the opposite, high and straight and my ball seems to hang up there forever just carrying and carrying!

I can still hook it when I make a quick swing, but I CAN NOT slice this thing. After numerous straight tee balls, I hit 8-10 shots at the range tonight trying everything I could think of to hit a cut. There are some holes where I use this shot so I wanted to see if I could do it with the JGR. Now mind you, I've been a fader of the ball my whole career - I KNOW how to hit a fade - but I could not make this club go to the right no matter what I did!!!

High and straight to a small draw... this just might be a game changer for me!

Guys, I have had this driver since February and I agree with everything you have said. It's a Magical Instrument. High and straight, high and straight. Gives me all the confidence in the world.

So I played with 2 THP'ers on Monday - 36 holes - This driver performed so well that they just started to call me "Mr. Fairway" Wasn't the furthest however I was the straightest. So much confidence with this magical instrument. With that being said, my cart partner, Dhartmann34, let me take a swing with his Mizuno 850 X Flex Diamana Kai'li shaft, which is a lower launch and I hit it 20 yards further. He suggested that I look at low launching shaft to gain more yards. So I'm going to Club Champion to see if we can't get more out of the driver with a lower launching shaft.
Updates to come....

So I did a "Test Drive" Bridgestone last night - I have the following clubs being UPS to me:

JGR Driver 9.5 Degrees (RH) – Tour Green S Flex shaft
$379.00
JGR Driver 9.5 Degrees (RH) – Fujikura Pro 63 S Flex shaft
$358.00

I got charged $20 for shipping and they put they put the price of both clubs on my card to be refunded when I return them. Wife is going to scream about that one.:angry::stickbeat:

I'm on the clock as of today and have until June 9th to give it to UPS or get charged, so I have to get on it when I get them. - I did find out that they will be used clubs, not new.
If I want to keep one, I just need not return it, however don't know if I to pay full retail for a used club.
Might be cheaper to get the shaft in my current club switched out instead.
Thinking the Tour Green might be what I'm looking for as it is a lower launching shaft however, we will see.

Updates to follow.....

Last edited:
Markm,
Why are you looking to change? The previous posts you were saying it was perfect.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the 2KXV. Especially in the 75g version that is in mine.

So I played with 2 THP'ers on Monday - 36 holes - This driver performed so well that they just started to call me "Mr. Fairway" Wasn't the furthest however I was the straightest. So much confidence with this magical instrument. With that being said, my cart partner, Dhartmann34, let me take a swing with his Mizuno 850 X Flex Diamana Kai'li shaft, which is a lower launch and I hit it 20 yards further. He suggested that I look at low launching shaft to gain more yards. So I'm going to Club Champion to see if we can't get more out of the driver with a lower launching shaft.
Updates to come....

Markm,
Why are you looking to change? The previous posts you were saying it was perfect.

lots of perfect drives, then one drive goes farther so therefore a massive change is in order. we golfers are a funny breed!

lots of perfect drives, then one drive goes farther so therefore a massive change is in order. we golfers are a funny breed!

Based on everything I have read, I honestly don't think a lower launching shaft change will do much here. It's the Internet golfers quick fix scenario though...haha

He took a lower launching head and compared it to a high launching head. Part of he reason for perfectly straight is backspin based on posts throughout the thread. Higher flight comes with that.

So I picked did a "Test Drive" Bridgestone last night - I have the following clubs being UPS to me:

JGR Driver 9.5 Degrees (RH) – Tour Green S Flex shaft
$379.00
JGR Driver 9.5 Degrees (RH) – Fujikura Pro 63 S Flex shaft
$358.00

I got charged $20 for shipping and they put they put the price of both clubs on my card to be refunded when I return them. Wife is going to scream about that one.:angry::stickbeat:

I'm on the clock as of today and have until June 9th to give it to UPS or get charged, so I have to get on it when I get them. - I did find out that they will be used clubs, not new.
If I want to keep one, I just need not return it, however don't know if I to pay full retail for a used club.
Might be cheaper to get the shaft in my current club switched out instead.
Thinking the Tour Green might be what I'm looking for as it is a lower launching shaft however, we will see.

Updates to follow.....

yes, that's how the test drive program works. and i think it's a fantastic idea.

i hope it all works out for you. the tour green is a great shaft if you're looking to bring launch down, but i will take more carry over more distance every day of the week. if i can reasonably predict carry, i can make reliable decisions off the tee. i don't like the idea of letting too much roll dictate where my ball ends up.

Markm,

JB, just to support your question, my stats have me hitting par 4's and 5's at 60%. Last Saturday it was 71%

With that be said, I'm look to see if a lower launching shaft will give me more carry. One disadvantage of the Bridgestone line is to fine tune a fitting due to limited shafts availability in the store. - Two weeks with some dry weather coming to Chicago will allow me to get these on the course and see how they perform.
plus I'll get it on a Trackman, if the numbers don't support it, then I stick with what I have and move on.

In the end, I hope to eliminate any self doubt for $20. Seemed worth it.
It's what I love about Golf - always room for evaluation.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the 2KXV. Especially in the 75g version that is in mine.

i was pleasantly surprised with this shaft as was tested at club Clash. Prior to the event I was pondering what shaft to go with if i bought it but afterwards I would have no problem gaming this shaft and even with the 10.5 head there was nothing about ball flight I didn't like. High launch with mid 2k spin and 260+ carry on GC2

Back