Broken Nike VR Pro Driver

Jzier139

Reaction score
Handicap
8.0 GHIN
Anyone out there have one break or know of someone who broke one. Mine snapped at the STR8-Fit adapter. Hole before the shot felt wierd... twisty as if I hit it off the toe but the ball mark was in the middle of the face. Next hole...snap! Club was only 3 weeks old (8) rounds old.
View attachment 2717

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of the shaft breaking on these personally, but only a couple times... Did you buy it at a reputable dealer? Should be a quick replacement if you did.

I ordered it through a Golftec that has a Nike vending contract.
The nightmare continues.... I called Nike and they were great. Told me to take it to any Nike dealer and have them send it back so I don't absorb the shipping costs. Which I did. 2 1/2 weeks later I got it back and that's where the aggravation begins. I open the box at Golfsmith and it was covered in epoxy. The guys at golfsmith cleaned it up for me but that's not the point. 1) How do you as a major club manufacturer send a club back like that? 2) The clearly drilled out the adapter and re-used it on a new shaft which I guess isn't a big deal but it was a $399; 3-week old club! 2) They engraved, or as I referred to it when I called Nike, DEFACED my driver by engraving an "R" which I'm assuming stands for REPAIR or similar. Again, I get that they come across cases where people try to get over on them but the break was clearly in a place non-indicative of abuse and they had to the head to isnpect for abuse and it was flawless. When I called them back, clearly upset, I told them if I was aware they were going to deface my club I would have rathered buy a new shaft. Not to mention, the left over expoxy stained the top of the head near the hosel.
As of this writing I'm awaiting word back from Nike. They had me email them pictures of the "R", the re-used STR8-FIT and the stain. Hoping this results in the club being replaced..especially since I just purchased the Driver, 3 & 5, the Method 003, 52 & 56 VR PRo Wedges (on order) and am contemplating the Pro Combos. Fingers crossed.

Such a bummer Jz! I broke the shaft on my Razr Hawk midway through my first round with it during a practice swing (no, I didnt hit the ground with it or abuse it). I think it was just a defective shaft because I only had a few range seesions and that round with it and it snapped around the kickpoint. Luckily I took it back to the shop I bought it at, props to Golf Mart/Roger Dunn, and they let me just grab a new one. I am assuming they dealt with Callaway as to the repair/replacement. Anyways, hopefully Nike sends you out a brand new one, that just shouldnt happen with a $400 club.

Atleast they didn't blow you off

I now tap while I talk

Im pretty sure that one of those broke at demo day this year also.

That sucks..... Hopefully they will do the right thing for you.......

Looks familiar. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

That sucks..... Hopefully they will do the right thing for you.......

I'm hoping as well that they figure out a way to make it right. Sounds like someone in the repair section is doing work not at a high standard. Hope they look into it and fix the problem on both their end, and your end. News of bad customer service travels like wildfire. Keep us posted.

Im not sure if it works like this with golf clubs, but I played high school and some college baseball and whenever you would crack/break a bat, they would send you a bat with an "R" or the word "replacement" and they did this so if the replacement broke you couldnt send it back. Basically you got one repair/replacement if that broke you were SOL....

I hope this doesnt happen to you as I believe you deserve a new driver

Wow, Sorry that happened budd.
I'm a huge fan of the VR Pro, but haven't heard of any clubs breaking at the STR8-Fit adapter. Did Nike fix your problem?

Im pretty sure that one of those broke at demo day this year also.

Interesting, almost makes you wonder if perhaps they had a bad batch at one point.

As far as the glue, ie sloppy work it probably was in the hands of a tech whose only responsibility is turning around the clubs as fast as he can rather than as correctly as he should. It wouldn't surprise me if the club was in a box for pickup before the glue even dried.

I'm a huge fan of the VR Pro, but haven't heard of any clubs breaking at the STR8-Fit adapter. Did Nike fix your problem?

See my follow up post. They fixed the shaft but made the problem worse. I'm on my phone now at work or I'd retype the whole scenario for ya. Waiting on a word back as to whether or not they're replacing the driver. I'll keep everyone updated.

Interesting, almost makes you wonder if perhaps they had a bad batch at one point.

As far as the glue, ie sloppy work it probably was in the hands of a tech whose only responsibility is turning around the clubs as fast as he can rather than as correctly as he should. It wouldn't surprise me if the club was in a box for pickup before the glue even dried.

I know Aldila came out with a bad batch of shafts a few years back. I experienced this at a PGA National store when I swung and the shaft snapped in my hands.

Also, yes... Huge fan of the driver. I compared the R11, my old R9, the Titleist 910D and the VR Pro on my launch monitor. VR Pro provided me with the bet results. 325rpm less spin and 25 yds more carry than my R9.

Also, yes... Huge fan of the driver. I compared the R11, my old R9, the Titleist 910D and the VR Pro on my launch monitor. VR Pro provided me with the bet results. 325rpm less spin and 25 yds more carry than my R9.

dang buddy that is a serious increase for ya, i would be thrilled at 10yards more carry lol

Yup, it happened to my buddy SirSliceALot116. Head flew right off, I think at the same place as well.

Hmm maybe that's why I never hit this driver.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

Wow, this sucks.
I'm sure Nike will make it right for you!

dang buddy that is a serious increase for ya, i would be thrilled at 10yards more carry lol

Difference was from R9 to VR. Wasn't much of a difference between VR,R11 and 910 but VR was still better for me. Think most is due to R9 being off rack and I took time fitting shafts for the VR. Funny how going from Reg flex to stiff lowered by swing speed a tad but gave me more distance. Kick point must be better now. Most importantly, the driver used to be a club I avoided and is now a go to for me.

Difference was from R9 to VR. Wasn't much of a difference between VR,R11 and 910 but VR was still better for me. Think most is due to R9 being off rack and I took time fitting shafts for the VR. Funny how going from Reg flex to stiff lowered by swing speed a tad but gave me more distance. Kick point must be better now. Most importantly, the driver used to be a club I avoided and is now a go to for me.

I can definitely see the stiffer flex reducing swing speed but increasing yardage. They did studies and I will see if I can find them where someone with a 105 swing speed who hit it on the screws hit it equal or slightly past a swing speed of 115 that was mis hit less than 1/4''. It is definitely not all about speed but contact as well.

Do you have a picture of the R they stamped onto your driver. I think that would piss me off more than the epoxy and even the broke shaft. Keep us up to date, I'd love to see how Nike handles this.

Back