Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

Distance vs flight, are you seeing any noticeable difference in ball flight going with the hybrids over the fairway/iron? I.e. Do the hybrids have a lower flight and run out to match the distance you had with your 4w?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 hybrid and 4w are almost going same distance with the hybrid flying a bit lower and rolling out less. 3i and 3 hybrid are just about same distance (perhaps the hybrid a bit further) but hybrid flies higher and rolls out less

Ended up with the Motore in X in these for #TheGrandaddy since my fitter put me in something that's not being made anymore and they're brilliant. This setup is so so so solid.

2 hybrid and 4w are almost going same distance with the hybrid flying a bit lower and rolling out less. 3i and 3 hybrid are just about same distance (perhaps the hybrid a bit further) but hybrid flies higher and rolls out less
First hybrids I've actually considered since removing them from the bag. Very nice club and really enjoyed hitting KC720'S . Thanks buddy!

Harvmp can vouch today... And the caddy and Harry... That I spank these hybos. The 4 and 5 were weapons for me today.

This club did the impossible. It took the Cleveland Altitude 5 out of my bag that has been in there for close to 3 years.

They had a used 5h at the shop when I was trying clubs the other day, so I took a few swings. I love the profile of this. Not huge, feels like you're swinging an iron. Kuro Kage shaft felt like a great pairing.

Compared to the 5i it's like cheating.

The 2 and 3 hybrids are so good I'm thinking of adding the 4. Such a surprise as I've never liked hybrids but these are fantastic

My 3H is making me think the same thing. Ive always struggled with hybrids and never thought Id consider having more than one in my bag. My 3H is probably one of my favorite clubs right now. Anyone that is even slightly considering looking at these needs to find a place to hit one.

I will admit that most of these hybrids were not a good match for me as my ball flight is too high, I had too much spin, and there is an awkward overlap with yardages. I was surprised to see Garrett from ECPC keeping me in the apex cf16 all the way up to 4 iron, then needing the 2 hybrid to fill the space gaps. I think this is more a compliment to the long irons in the set than a negative against the apex hybos (the long irons are a lot more forgiving than I expected, but that is for a different thread). That said, that 2 hybrid is a beast, played it off of the tee on a few short par 4s and loved what I saw. I'll update with the specs a distances after work, and I'm curious to hear more opinions on these.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Callaway Apex Hybrids Review Thread

Callaway Apex Hybrids Review Thread

Harvmp can vouch today... And the caddy and Harry... That I spank these hybos. The 4 and 5 were weapons for me today.

The launch you put on that 4 when you needed a number and still hit with that height, is awesome! Those are going to land soft on greens for you with with a flight like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the 4h and 5h really shined for me this week, I actually probably should have gone more 4hy off tee's at times on the shorter par 4's. Was fit to a Graphite Design hybo shaft that they ended up being out of so WHILE ON THE TOUR the guys were texting with E-Dog (Ethan) and he and I were communicating back with them. Ended up going with Fuji Motore 9.8 hybo shafts in X-flex which hit that 98ish g range. I was a bit worried about the change from the fitting but first swings on the range ended that as I saw the same beautiful flight. Harv got to witness me destroying the 4hy on day 2 and Big Leishman did as well on day 1, I'm taking HIGH, beautiful, and LONG off the deck. They're truly really really versatile.

I want to get out more with this club before giving too much feedback, because honestly I didn't get to hit it much at the Grandaddy because I just didn't get that yardage too often. What I can say is that when I put a good swing on it, this hybrid goes high and far. At ECPC I was bombing this thing, high with a baby fade (needed to be bent 1 up to get it to dead straight). However, when I miss I see a pretty good slice. To me, the small profile of the club doesn't promote the confidence that I'm used to when looking down at my mini-FW sized hybrids, and that's obviously a mental thing for me, but I need some more time with it to really tell myself that I can hit this club. I don't know that I can say that it's the most forgiving club out there, but for it's profile it really has more forgiveness than I'd expect, and I do think better ball strikers will gain a lot from this hybrid.

I really need to try one of these out. While the Big Bertha hybrid has been ok, I really felt like the head was a bit too big for my eye and for whatever reason I'm just not that consistent with it.

Last edited:
I am going to have to hit these next to my x2hot. The x2hot has been good to me though.

I really need to try one of these out. While the Big Bertha hybrid has been ok, I really felt like the head was a bit too big for my eye and for whatever reason I'm just not that consistent with it.

I tell you now you are going to love this thing.

They're freaking addicting.

Really wish I grabbed another instead of the d9. Just didn't end up using that club more than once. But I loved the VTS Silver combo with my 4H

Really wish I grabbed another instead of the d9. Just didn't end up using that club more than once. But I loved the VTS Silver combo with my 4H

D9 is your 5i "replacement"? How often would you hit the d9 at courses you normally play?

D9 is your 5i "replacement"? How often would you hit the d9 at courses you normally play?
I hit it a lot when I was reviewing it. Loved the flight I got from it.

I hit it a lot when I was reviewing it. Loved the flight I got from it.

I'll trade you a Apex 5 hybrid for a certain Oban shaft.

I know I have no shot, just throwing it out there :)

I'll trade you a Apex 5 hybrid for a certain Oban shaft.

I know I have no shot, just throwing it out there :)
You want reg flex eh?

This fall I've been in hybrid test mode and it came down to the apex and 815, both at 20 degrees with the same shaft. I had the Apex first and thought it was a done deal. It's that good.

My club has 3-4 holes where I need it off the tee and I may need it on one or two par 5's for second shots. The apex is impressive in both situations. My problem with it is I got a little more out of it than the 815, which wasn't good for the distance I need it for. I know others have said it's not as hot or long but I had a different experience. But those distances were very repeatable. No flyers like I got with the x2 hot pro at times. I also found it a easier to turn over than the 815. My miss is off the toe and having the longer face on the apex only accentuated that for me. The 815 looks beefier but plays smaller IMO.

In the end, I'm looking for a certain distance and flight I can depend on and at +1 degrees in the 815 (the adjustability came into play) I locked right in with the 815.

Back