Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Do you guys sweep it like a fairway or hit up like a driver from tee ? Guess I haven't found it out yet, so interested to hear other golfers experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shelved mine for now over the XR 3 wood. Just don't need it on my home course that much off the tee and it is easy to hit low liners off a tight lie. Great club none the less and I'll keep mine and rotate it in and out.
I've heard great things about that XR 3W. I live my mini abs pound it off the tee so stop talking about the XR, MY BAG IS HAPPY.

I've heard great things about that XR 3W. I live my mini abs pound it off the tee so stop talking about the XR, MY BAG IS HAPPY.
The xr was ok, easier off the deck obviously, but it hasn't been nearly as long for me off the tee. Its been relegated to the extras staff bag.

The xr was ok, easier off the deck obviously, but it hasn't been nearly as long for me off the tee. Its been relegated to the extras staff bag.
Nice to have a bag that most would kill for their #1 bag

The XR is easier off the deck for sure. The Mini is great off the tee, but I find myself needed the club in that loft slot off the deck more often and I have had a couple of low right liners with the Mini off the deck. The XR is so thin faced, it is super easy off the deck, and is longer for me on that shot, but shorter off the tee.

The Mini could just be a full time driver (maybe at some point). It is long, and the smaller head means less chance of twisting, which for me means easier to square at impact, but it is not nearly as forgiving as my XR driver.

I've actually been pounding this off the deck lately, found a good ball position and its been bombs away now.

As I mentioned in the homepage review though, it's def all about what you need. I've got enough distance in my heavenwood and hybo that this is hit off the deck maybe once every other round if I'm feeling frisky.

I've actually been pounding this off the deck lately, found a good ball position and its been bombs away now.

As I mentioned in the homepage review though, it's def all about what you need. I've got enough distance in my heavenwood and hybo that this is hit off the deck maybe once every other round if I'm feeling frisky.
I warmed up this morning with balls off the deck. Wasn't trying real.hard and saw some good action.

I would like to see a detailed test of this club vs the Aeroburner mini, both in 12* as driver replacement clubs. I know some have hit both but not sure they have hit the same loft in both clubs. My experience with the SLDR mini and the Deep series from Callaway lead me to believe that callaway probably is a little better in this category, should be interesting experiment. Might even throw in the XR Deep to the test.

My buddy received his the other day. Love the sound, didn't get a chance to hit it but he was pounding that thing. Think it will quickly become his go to on tight or short holes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sweep or Upswing

Sweep or Upswing

Do you guys sweep it like a fairway or hit up like a driver from tee ? Guess I haven't found it out yet, so interested to hear other golfers experience.
Depends what trajectory I want. Sweeping it produces a low trajectory for me. If I tee the ball slightly more forward (to catch it on the upswing) then I get a mid trajectory. When I use the more forward ball position I'm more likely to draw it (compared to hitting it straight with the sweeping ball position). Obviously you'll have to make your own decision, but I recommend you factor your preferences and course conditions. If you prefer the lower ball flight, play during windy conditions, or tend to hit hooks/draws as your mis-hits (and don't want that type of mis-hit) then the sweeping impact may be a good choice for you. If on the other hand you want more of a mid ball flight, prefer a draw mis-hit, or think you need a bit more carry then hitting slightly upward may be better for you. My preference is for the sweeping impact since I mostly use the club off the deck (and catching it on the upswing off a tee - with the more forward ball position may create a tendency for me to accidentally start putting it too far forward in my stance when hitting off the deck).

I'm a sweeper with fairway woods, but with the Mini, I did need to hit a little more down on the ball with the deep face.

Edit; Spelling.......

Last edited:
Found a good deal on a slightly used 12* with kuro kage on ebay today. Should be here before next weekend, excited to try it out!

Kang loaned me his 14* and I'm excited to put it into play today.

The motion of the swings are the same. Woods are generally swept and not hit down on. It's all about ball position and should be played slightly behind your driver position.

Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Kang's 14* mini with the 6.5 shaft - which should be too much shaft for me - is awesome. The only club I've hit straight all weekend. Best result was a downhill roll aided 268 drive right down the middle. Uphill drives have been in the 220-235 total distance range. I need to sell some stuff so I can buy my own.

Edit to add that I dropped kicked one on 18, which was a very uphill hole, into the left rough (ie, no roll at all). I lasered it back to the tee at 198. Not bad considering I hit Mother Earth before the ball.

Last edited:
I am still trying to wrap my head around this club, do you use it instead of a 3 wood? I would think off the deck it would be a harder to hit then say a ALPHA 815 3 wood or is it? Does it take some serious SS to get the numbers some are seeing? Heck my full on Driver is not getting the numbers some are seeing.

Very interesting product for sure.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this club, do you use it instead of a 3 wood? I would think off the deck it would be a harder to hit then say a ALPHA 815 3 wood or is it? Does it take some serious SS to get the numbers some are seeing? Heck my full on Driver is not getting the numbers some are seeing.

I talked about it a good bit in the homepage review (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-bertha-mini-1-5-driver-review/) but there just isn't one standard answer for that. For me, it is indeed in the bag in place of my 3w, because 3w is a tee club for me anyways so this is a more reliable and longer tee club. Turns out, I can hit it well off the deck now, scary well at times, but yeah that effectiveness level IMO will come back to being better the stronger swingers out there. Callaway themselves admit its a niche product, which is cool IMO.

Thanks Jman, I have been following along and read the review and it seems some get real long with it. Since my full on Driver is only 220-240 on good days, I need to hit Driver off most Tees to be decent position for the second. But I will be trying one in the near future, maybe it is just what I need and it would be new and shiny so that counts.

@jim - I tried it once today for fun. The ball got about 5 feet off the ground, hit a cart path and rolled forever. I would want to work on it more but my initial impression is the profile may make this not super compatible for us regular hackers off the deck.

I haven't tried off the deck except at the range and won't be attempting it again. I played my 12* today off the tee on most of the par 4s and par5s and other than a couple holes where I put a not so good swing on it this thing works and is just as long as my driver. I may be swapping driver out for this and putting 3w in bag for my next round.

Hit it off the deck twice this weekend. No issue elevating but two big huge cuts. I doubt in a serious round I would ever consider pulling it for off the deck

Had my first round with the Mini Bertha and I am sold. Used as a driver replacement in every hole and also used it three times from the deck on par 5s. I am a 15 handicap with a mid to high 90s ss and had no issues from the deck. However, the club shined from the tee. I got pretty close to my driver distance but far greater control. Shot my best score of the season.

No two people swing exactly the same, and results are relative for each user. When people report that they hit it 270,250,230,etc that is his/her distance (assuming they 1:know how far they really hit it and 2:aren't lying to look macho).
Like Jman I've replaced my 3 wood with the mini. I occasionally hit blocks and block fades on my mishits with my 3 wood from the fairway (not good when water is on the right, and you're trying to hit a par 5 in two). I have yet to hit that shot with the mini. That could be the club, could be my setup, or it could simply be luck (that it hasn't happened yet). Regardless I'm liking using it in place of my 3 wood. If I want to take something off of it distance wise I can always grip down on it a bit. Depending on what loft and shaft people used with their 3 woods it may not play all that different in trajectory. Mini loft can be anywhere from 11*-16* depending on what head you get, and how you configure it. 3 woods tend to range from 13-15* in loft, so loft wise it could be identical or close to what your 3 wood already is. The big differences between the 3 wood and mini are the length of shaft, larger head with potentially different center of gravity. Regardless of your swing speed you should see distances that fit somewhere in-between what you get with your driver and what you get with your 3 wood (assuming your other clubs, and the mini all fit roughly to your swing, and aren't drastically counter to optimal specs for you).

Thanks Jman, I have been following along and read the review and it seems some get real long with it. Since my full on Driver is only 220-240 on good days, I need to hit Driver off most Tees to be decent position for the second. But I will be trying one in the near future, maybe it is just what I need and it would be new and shiny so that counts.
Since you report your drives to be 220-240 (guessing yards not meters), and most people report 10-15 yards less than their drivers you might get something in the realm of 205-230 depending if you get somewhere in the 10-15 yard difference others report. If the club really fits your swing you could get equal or more distance than your driver. Some people don't have drivers that fit them (they don't get optimal launch angles with their drivers), and in cases those people hit their fairway woods as far or further than their drivers (because they get more optimal launch conditions with their fairway woods). You will not really know until you try one for yourself.

Has anyone with the mini played the 2 deep prior to having the Mini? I've been gaming the 2 deep for over a yea, and have taken a few passes with this mini, and I've yet to see where it's advantageous to swap them out.

Has anyone with the mini played the 2 deep prior to having the Mini? I've been gaming the 2 deep for over a yea, and have taken a few passes with this mini, and I've yet to see where it's advantageous to swap them out.
I had the X2Hot 2 deep but couldn't hit hit well lol. The mini is providing more ball speed. It's almost driver like.

Back