Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid Preview

My friend has one & loves it. My current hybrid is a 20* but thinking about getting an 18* in this model.

I love my 815 hybrid. Got mine with stock 865 shaft. Cut down -.5", switched sole weight to heavier weight, UTX midsize grip and it's been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What weight did you switch to? Did you just want to feel the clubhead more in the backswing? If so, that's the thing I noticed with this club too when I tested it in store. I thought that's a result of having a heavier than average shaft. Dispersion and feel at impact was great though. Love the more muted sound as well, which I thought is similar to the 588 hybrid I'm gaming, but the Alpha definitely gives me more confidence at set up.

What weight did you switch to? Did you just want to feel the clubhead more in the backswing? If so, that's the thing I noticed with this club too when I tested it in store. I thought that's a result of having a heavier than average shaft. Dispersion and feel at impact was great though. Love the more muted sound as well, which I thought is similar to the 588 hybrid I'm gaming, but the Alpha definitely gives me more confidence at set up.

One of the first times I've ever adjusted weighting due to cutting down a shaft. Wanted a heavier head to aid in feeling where the club is during my down swing.

Mine is coming with the speeder in X. Still launched quite a bit when I tried it out, but seemed to control the spin reasonably well.

Looking forward to a confident 230 club again.
You won't be disappointed. I just got my new one in and put it to work yesterday on the range. Just take aim and fire with this thing, sooooooooooo impressive.

Mine is coming with the speeder in X. Still launched quite a bit when I tried it out, but seemed to control the spin reasonably well.

Looking forward to a confident 230 club again.

Don't you mean 280 club?

230 carry. And after tonight, it's already got a lot of work to do to stay in the bag.

That makes it sound like you didn't have success with it, what happened?

I want to like this one so much, but every time I hit it in a golf shop, I hate the feel and the performance is lacking. I think it's because the Speeder shaft isn't a great match for me, would love to try it in the same shaft as my X2Hot Pro hybrids. I like the head size of this hybrid more than the X2Hot Pro.

That makes it sound like you didn't have success with it, what happened?

I want to like this one so much, but every time I hit it in a golf shop, I hate the feel and the performance is lacking. I think it's because the Speeder shaft isn't a great match for me, would love to try it in the same shaft as my X2Hot Pro hybrids. I like the head size of this hybrid more than the X2Hot Pro.
I don't have it yet, however each time I've hit it, it's fantastic.

I put a Srixon Zu45 20* in the bag and hit it incredibly well.

Still in love with these hybrids. By far the best I've ever played. For me, an 18* hybrid going 220 is crazy. And the 23* going 195-200. Wow. Here's a couple of pics from today's round at Steele Canyon.

c517737a45f460398ce5313516f76c45.jpg

a448e95098b5e170bf716389b716a946.jpg

Still in love with these hybrids. By far the best I've ever played. For me, an 18* hybrid going 220 is crazy. And the 23* going 195-200. Wow. Here's a couple of pics from today's round at Steele Canyon.

c517737a45f460398ce5313516f76c45.jpg

a448e95098b5e170bf716389b716a946.jpg

That is awesome and right in line with what I'm seeing out of my 20*, which is 215. Sits perfectly on top of my 4 iron and is such a pleasure to hit. I'll be getting a backup soon because I like it so much.

Anyone know why the 23 degree 4H disappeared from Callawaygolf.com? I've been loving my 20 degree 3H and was debating ordering the 4H from their website and it's gone. They have some on CPO, but no still flex.

The 23* is currently sold out on the website but could be available through your local retailer. Hope that helps.

I found a brand new 20° stiff on the clearance rack at Golf Galaxy today. Based on Tyler's gushing over this, I had to try it out. After a few swings I see what he is talking about. It left the store with me. Great balance in the weighting, and a much less than expected distance and accuracy penalty on mishits.

I found a brand new 20° stiff on the clearance rack at Golf Galaxy today. Based on Tyler's gushing over this, I had to try it out. After a few swings I see what he is talking about. It left the store with me. Great balance in the weighting, and a much less than expected distance and accuracy penalty on mishits.

It's such a good club. Was it a ridiculous price?

First practice session with it.

a56ba12883e1d2e53e06a6179421b57a.jpg

These hybrids are great - got one early in the summer from CPO. I've found it easy to hit off the tee, from the fairway, and from the rough.

old post but a new club to me. i had gamed x2hot 3 and 4 hybrids as of 3 weeks ago. I sold them and bought xr pros. i found the pros to be okay in every aspect, feel, forgiveness, distance, and appearance. But honestly, I was regretting getting rid of the x2hots. I loved the distance, feel, looks, and forgiveness of them but i felt the flight was a bit too high. I sent the pros back to cpo and bought the 815 alphas with the speeder 865 stiff shaft. when they came in, i was initially concerned that the shafts were more for a tour player than an average joe. that fear was unfounded as i played them a lot today. the head shaft combo proved to be deadly accurate. the wing was blowing at 22 mph all round long and the balls struck with these irons were unwavering in their flight. the shaft feel great. i can't say longer than the x2s because of the conditions today but i can say i am not disappointed i bought them.

Just picked one of these up on CPO, and it is such a phenomenal club. It did absolutely everything I asked for it to do today, and bailed me out numerous times. Perfect distance that I need it for, and I can easily flight it down to have it run out if needed as well. Wow. I've been pondering this hybrid for a while but never pulled the trigger...so glad I finally did.

Hi lads,
Just got one and just want your experiences with the 7g weight. What if you go heavier, what if you go lighter? What's the diff?

Cheers,
Ace

Anybody played these compared to the apex

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back