Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid Preview

Anyone out there with updates on this club? There's still a ton of snow on the ground here so I have no idea when I'll be able to hit this one, but I really want to compare it side by side with the X2Hot Pro.

Anyone out there with updates on this club? There's still a ton of snow on the ground here so I have no idea when I'll be able to hit this one, but I really want to compare it side by side with the X2Hot Pro.
I've bought one, coming from the X2Hot. But like you I'm waiting for the snow to melt. It was a more penetrating flight than the X2Hot for me and maybe a tad bigger head. I really enjoyed demoing it, so add in adjustability and it was a nice upgrade for me. Now I'll just have to see if I can play it as well as I played the X2Hot

Last edited:
Photo below, BB on left and 815 on right.

081b67c71c4fb94c24bc97704afad1d7.jpg

Is it just me, or does the 815 look a little Adams...ish.

Is it just me, or does the 815 look a little Adams...ish.
That sorta look and design goes back to the X2Hot line as well. Subtle differences to Adams, but the similarities are there.

I've bought one, coming from the X2Hot. But like you I'm waiting for the snow to melt. It was a more penetrating flight than the X2Hot for me and maybe a tad bigger head. I really enjoyed demoing it, so add in adjustability and it was a nice upgrade for me. Now I'll just have to see if I can play it as well as I played the X2Hot

I've got the X2Hot Pro in my bag right now, and I just wish that the head was slightly bigger to give me a little more confidence. I used to have the RBZ Tour hybrid and I really liked that head shape, and it was a beast off of the tee but I couldn't elevate it well enough to have it stay in my bag. If the Alpha 815 hybrid sat in between the XR and XR Pro (or X2Hot and X2Hot Pro), that would be awesome.

I have the 20* with speeder 865 in stiff flex and I love it. There's something about the weighting on this club that allows the head to be felt throughout the swing. The turf interaction so far is great. This club is so great I'm debating adding the 23* in the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought one tonight (20 degree, stiff) and intend to give it a go tomorrow. For comparison I use a 913h that is very consistent, easy to hit and long. I'll report back. Normally I'd shy away from the smaller head but the DBD was so easy to hit I figured maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised again.

Hit the Alpha hybrid tonight at the range and was very pleased with the initial results. I couldn't see how far it was going but it seemed comparable to the distance of my 19 degree 913h despite being 20 degrees and half an inch shorter. I was making very consistent contact favoring the heel slightly. The ball flight was slightly higher than the 913h and seemed to have a fade bias whereas I hit the 913h with a consistent draw. Maybe when I pick up my 915h I can compare it to the Alpha on the launch monitor at the shop and get some numbers to make a more informed decision.

Hit this thing today at golfsmith and man i could be making a purchase soon. Compared it against the xr and xr pro hybrids and the alpha was by far the winner. Longer and more consistent for me. It's amazing how much longer this thing is that my x hot pro hybrid (original). Before that was my 200-210 club. The alpha was consistently carrying 220+ some flying 230. Both in 20 deg

This thing was a blast to hit today. Wow. Hit every single fairway I hit off the tee and hit it off the deck once and flew the green, into the wind. That's special for me.

This thing was a blast to hit today. Wow. Hit every single fairway I hit off the tee and hit it off the deck once and flew the green, into the wind. That's special for me.

Saw the same thing, if not better, while playing Sunday. This hybrid is uncontested right now, just perfect for me in performance, looks, and play-ability. I feel comfortable taking this off the tee AND the deck, it's amazing.

I have an Alpha 815 18° hybrid that should be delivered today. I went with the Project X LZ pro shaft instead of the Speeder 865. I can't wait to see how this bad boy performs on the course.

Added the 4H to the bag, today, and it was pretty stinking awesome. Loved the ball flight with this; mid-high (better than my 4 iron, for sure), but not ballooning. Can't wait to get back out there and hit it, again.

Played my first round with the 815 hybrid today. I only hit 2 shots but they were both really nice. I played a course I don't usually play so there just weren't that many opportunities to hit hybrid.

War Eagle from my iPad

Got another round+ in with this today. Continues to be a deadly weapon off the tee for me. Aim and shoot, simple as that. I am also learning how to play it off the deck, thinking I need to account for a cut but man is it killer into the wind. ZERO hybrids will be pondered for the foreseeable future.

Got another round+ in with this today. Continues to be a deadly weapon off the tee for me. Aim and shoot, simple as that. I am also learning how to play it off the deck, thinking I need to account for a cut but man is it killer into the wind. ZERO hybrids will be pondered for the foreseeable future.
I would love to try that club, but you would kill me if I switched hybrids :D

I want one. Maybe 2.

You would be wise to do so. Such a great hybrid. What you thinking as far as loft?

Whatever gets me to 215 and 230 yards repeatedly.

Whatever gets me to 215 and 230 yards repeatedly.

I have the 20* w/ stock speeder 865 stiff and that's about 10 yds longer than my yardages. I think based on your yardage need, this would work out for you.

The 18* is absolutely nuclear for me. Check it this one from the 3rd at Chicago GC. Was playing 220. It went 236.
dd3b56f23d18b98494dd7690e1233d3c.jpg

I think you are getting in too much Grandaddy practice. That is LONG.

I think I need one.

With iROD.

I need to find one of these to spend some time with.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid Preview

I need to find one of these to spend some time with.

Say the word. I got the 3h with Recoil 680.

Back