Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid Preview

Anyone gaming this right now? I hit one early in the season and loved it.

Thinking I might need to get this one in the bag sooner rather than later. Possibly even replace the 4 iron as well.

Thinking I might need to get this one in the bag sooner rather than later. Possibly even replace the 4 iron as well.
I've been keeping an eye peeled but I just can't shell out the moolah I keep seeing even the used ones for.

I've been keeping an eye peeled but I just can't shell out the moolah I keep seeing even the used ones for.

The price is surprising -- Although it seems like many hybrids are going for a similar rate fresh out of the box.

I still have mine in the bag from #TheGrandaddy, but genuinely think I prefer the XR. I think its a comfort thing.

Yours is the one I hit actually, playing that ridiculously awesome bag at Mission Inn.

I lust for you hybos AND your bag, actually. hahahaha!

That bag and those clubs will never leave my possession. #TheGrandaddy wowed me. It isnt the same for everybody, but for me, that event sparked something.

Yes, a 4H and loving it. If I didn't like my 5 wood so much, I'd put a 3H in the bag as well.

As a disclaimer, with my swing, the intended "penetrating" flight from Callaway is not what I get. I see a nice high ballflight and that works for me.

Yes, a 4H and loving it. If I didn't like my 5 wood so much, I'd put a 3H in the bag as well.

As a disclaimer, with my swing, the intended "penetrating" flight from Callaway is not what I get. I see a nice high ballflight and that works for me.

I'm sure a shaft change would accommodate a lower launch if needed, although I'm seeing more and more that high launch, assuming the spin in line, is ideal.

I'm sure a shaft change would accommodate a lower launch if needed, although I'm seeing more and more that high launch, assuming the spin in line, is ideal.
It's what I needed for a 3/4 iron replacement. Much better for my skill set than the irons it replaced, that is certain.

Playing the 20* right now and love it. Great club off the tee for me and in the right situations I can play a nice cut from the fairway. Love it. Great head shape and the forgiveness off the toe I've found to be pretty good.

Bumping this up as I recently acquired a UST Irod hybrid shaft and I'm looking out for a 23* head to replace my 5i. Looking back at my rounds and course management the 5i isn't being used as much as this one would if it was in the bag. Easier to hit & great distances makes this a no brainier. Once I track down a head I'll report back.

I'm hoping this will gap just fine between my Heavenwood and 6i.

I'm still in love with these hybrids. XR has been calling my name but I can't get these out of the bag. Had a 205yd par 3 today into the wind, pulled the 18* out and almost made an ace. Check out the pic below.
ff3775c18930dd32a0a35ef764ab9000.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from Minnesota and this beauty was waiting for me. 18* model and I am looking forward to hitting it on the course this weekend.

I have the 23* replacing my 5i at the shop getting a new shaft put in. Once the monsoon season ends around here I'll be getting acquainted with this one.

Hit this today... 20* with the speeder. In love! Gotta give it another go and make a decision on it soon.

Hit this today... 20* with the speeder. In love! Gotta give it another go and make a decision on it soon.

I have this combo in the bag but cut down the shaft -0.5" and added weight to the sole and now it's an animal. Love hitting this club again.

I have this combo in the bag but cut down the shaft -0.5" and added weight to the sole and now it's an animal. Love hitting this club again.

Was hitting it about 238 on average. Great fit for a gap of mine. Gotta get at it again once I get back from camping Monday.

Used this yesterday in my round quite a bit after my ability to hit 5 wood decided to go awol. Great thing is that I only lose about 15 yards or so and it is such a consistent flight and a pleasure to use. I'm thinking about dropping the loft to 19 to take out the small amount of lefts I've encountered and unleashing some more distance.

Now, 1 small, cosmetic beef. I've used this primarily off the tee and it appears my trusty epoch tees are tearing into the sole. I've got several 2" long cuts in the sole towards the toe that I'm really surprised I have. All done by normal hits to the center of the face (out to in swing) but just a small cosmetic thing that my ocd nature doesn't exactly like. Otherwise, this thing is perfect.

First round with this one and I used it a handful of times. I enjoyed the distance and feel off the face. The head shape is larger than my X2Hot Pro's, but not something that put me off. Forgiveness wise they seem in line with the X2Hot Pro's, but the few times I hit this they were pretty close to the center and got the desired distance I wanted. One thing I like was the UST iROD shaft. It's hard to describe but the ball flight was a touch higher than the tour green I previously gamed, but didn't feel as stiff. I really enjoyed the feel throughout the swing.

Overall I'm impressed and this played nicely distance wise between my 6i & my Heavenwood.

Bumping this up. Surprised not that many people seem to game these, is the XR noticeably more forgiving?

I have been on the look out for the 23 degree ever since watching Rick Shiels' review, he was hitting lasers with these. Luckily was able to find one with Fukuki AX 70g shaft for a great deal on the bay. Can't wait to see how it plays on the course.

Nice bump Canuck_Ed!!!! I'll be getting one via ebay later this week as well, so we're going to have to compare notes!

Gamed one last weekend and did some absolutely ridiculous things with it. Can't wait to see if it can translate into a long term gamer.

I love my 815 hybrid. Got mine with stock 865 shaft. Cut down -.5", switched sole weight to heavier weight, UTX midsize grip and it's been great.

Mine is coming with the speeder in X. Still launched quite a bit when I tried it out, but seemed to control the spin reasonably well.

Looking forward to a confident 230 club again.

Back