Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review

How are they forgiveness wise vs G30's or Karstens?

I didn't do a head to head on the monitor at the same time, but my impression based on testing and playing all three would be:

A little more forgiving than the G30. Similar to Karsten.

That actually surprised me as well uman. Even more so when you hear the name of the shaft (has the number 85 in it). The graphite option certainly covers the light weight side though.

Agreed Hawkster. I feel it was a mistake ( probably not the correct word) for Callaway to market the iron with that weight shaft as the stock STEEL SHAFT, given the intended market for the Bertha irons. I could be mistaken since they are excellent marketers. Hopefully they will correct that and have another stock steel option. Yes graphite is always there, but in iron performance I feel it is only the best option for a super senior citizen type ( I am old and seasoned but not there yet) or someone who has hand or arm and joint issues since there may be less shocking forces transmitted from the graphite. That's my take we will see what develops.

Nice one Hawk, I like the technology included in these but I am not too keen on the looks of them. Maybe the technology currently dictates the overall design and look of them, but if this technology could be fitted into a more compact club head I think I would be very interested in them

Not my taste in Irons but great review and they look like they do the job they were designed for

Good honest review Hawk. The '2 clubs longer' claim was pretty specific in this instance with the older Callys that they were comparing to. Forgiveness and high launching isn't a bad thing at all though.
The distance claims were very specific to the Razr X HL's, which I owned. Those irons are not that old and were longer than most bertha irons, if not all previous to them. The New Bertha irons way longer than the RAZR X HL's. You can say that "UP to" 2 Clubs longer is misleading, but it is very specific.

Well done Ryan! I will no doubt give these irons a try, but it is going to be spring before I get the chance as our course and season is about to end.

Terrific review Ryan....thanks !
Those are some real beauties.

The hollow body reminds me of my old Browning 440Plus irons from years ago.

I thought I was the only one that had ever bagged the old Browning irons. Real low profile irons and worked very well.

Maybe when the new Bertha irons are a few years old I can check them out too :D

Wow, my first set of irons were Browning 440s. Talk about low profile! What am I missing about these new Berthas being longer? The 6 iron 3 degrees stronger and 1/2" longer than my Ping G25. Of course it would be longer, right?

Just noticed this is my 1001st post! Long time follower, but less prolific than most.

I just got the Big Bertha Irons in last week and have played two rounds so far and thought I would give my thoughts on them. To begin with, my set is with the Recoil Regular Flex Graphite Shafts. First round played wasn't a fair evaluation (after working all night and then trying to play) so I waited til I got my second round in to give any kind of review on them, so here goes. The "2 club" extra distance isn't there for me, although I do get about an extra 5-7 yards carry, per club more than my last gamers (TaylorMade RocketBladez Max). The forgiveness in these clubs is what shines for me. Even on mis-hits these clubs still carry the ball (ie: 118 yards out, PW off toe and still hit the green). As said, these clubs are very easy to hit, very forgiving, and have a very good feel. Also, I always play a Titleist Pro V1x and with these Big Bertha's Irons, the ball hits and sticks to the greens. Overall I am very pleased with these irons.

After Playing with my set of Big Bertha Irons for a week I have also noticed that the biggest gains are in a ability to keep the ball in play and on the short grass and greens even on mishits.

Terrya22. Question? How do you like the graphite shafts. I have been thinking of switching my steel shafts out for the graphite secondary to the elbow pain. Sounds like from your review I have nothing to loss but the elbow pain.

Hey Johan....I love the graphite shafts in these Bertha's. Lite weight but doesn't take anything away from the performance of these irons. I know you have heard the expression "like throwing darts" well, that's what it was like today. I don't think you would regret the switch for one minute. The Recoils are awesome!!!

Thanks will be making the switch asap

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on the ease of use and accuracy of the AW and PW? Anyone?

I've posted some thoughts on the aw back in this thread. I shelved it.

Any thoughts on the ease of use and accuracy of the AW and PW? Anyone?

I had no problems with my PW or AW. As a matter of fact, my approach shot with the AW was dead on during yesterday's round. For me, it is easy to hit, has real good loft and distance.

I was underwhelmed by these when I hit them yesterday. I think with all the Big Bertha Drivers in the hands of better players they missed the boat and should have had a line of BB's for different skill levels. The offset looked really significant and nothing about them stood out considering the price. I think Cobra has the right idea of offering their SGI sets at entry level pricing hoping to pick up life long customers. These irons were good but not great and in my opinion nothing that justified the price

Great review Hawk, but for some reason the looks of the offset and topline have really put me off.

I was underwhelmed by these when I hit them yesterday. I think with all the Big Bertha Drivers in the hands of better players they missed the boat and should have had a line of BB's for different skill levels. The offset looked really significant and nothing about them stood out considering the price. I think Cobra has the right idea of offering their SGI sets at entry level pricing hoping to pick up life long customers. These irons were good but not great and in my opinion nothing that justified the price
It's worth noting that there's still the X2Hot, X2Hot Pro, Apex, Apex MB, and Apex Pro lines of irons available. Callaway offers irons for numerous skill levels, and they offer a lot of shaft pairings as well. The stock graphite shaft in the Big Bertha irons (in addition to being amazing) is offered at a pretty decent rate compared to buying them aftermarket. Yes, the Big Bertha clubs are a bit pricey, but are pretty worth it, IMO, given the shaft options.

It's worth noting that there's still the X2Hot, X2Hot Pro, Apex, Apex MB, and Apex Pro lines of irons available. Callaway offers irons for numerous skill levels, and they offer a lot of shaft pairings as well. The stock graphite shaft in the Big Bertha irons (in addition to being amazing) is offered at a pretty decent rate compared to buying them aftermarket. Yes, the Big Bertha clubs are a bit pricey, but are pretty worth it, IMO, given the shaft options.

PIE agree and think their products are excellent. Just thought from a marketing perspective the missed an opportunity to capitalize on the success of the BB driver

I need to do whatever I can to talk Jacqui into these! These could be just what I've been looking for.

PIE agree and think their products are excellent. Just thought from a marketing perspective the missed an opportunity to capitalize on the success of the BB driver

Maybe, but I think there are two possibilities: One, Callaway released a ton of irons in the past 12 months or so, but all prior to the reappearance of the Big Bertha line. So it's entirely possible future iron releases will be variants of the Big Bertha moniker, as they've done with their drivers.

The other possibility is that they'll continue to keep more differentiation in the iron line to use the brand names they possess. I think it's possible the X Hot line will be melted into the Big Bertha line in some form or fashion, while the Apex line will come to denote more player-type iron. I think the Apex is too good a name and lineage to own but not evoke somewhere in their lineup.

Also, and I could be wrong, but I don't think the Big Bertha irons were ever player's irons. They've pretty much always been cavity-backed, perimeter-weighted, bigger irons. The 2014 Bertha irons might be her slimmest look yet.

To me, the Big Bertha line is the "premium distance" line - while the Alpha was for better players, there's a ton of forgiveness in the Bertha. These irons fill that niche, I think.

Just hit this iron with the stiff speedster 80 shaft. Was hitting the 7 iron 175-185 versus my normal 160. I looked then and the didn't seem that big when I saw the results.

Just hit this iron with the stiff speedster 80 shaft. Was hitting the 7 iron 175-185 versus my normal 160. I looked then and the didn't seem that big when I saw the results.
I'd love to try these out and would cry if I could get 10 more yards...that's awesome

Back