Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review

So far, these irons are everything that Callaway has claimed. Definitely longer, crazy forgiving. The thing that Callaway did not emphasize is accuracy. I'm hitting these irons very straight. Ball speeds are fairly consistent across the face. I'm finding the AW to be a killer around the greens. Love the recoil shafts. Great job Callaway!

Hit it again today on the sim. These are definitely going on the bag next spring when they aren't 1000 dollars. I hit the 7 iron at least 15-25 yards father than I ever have.

While I agree that the looks aren't sexy I like them. And to be honest I would hit with a shovel if it benefited me. The look of the iron in the bag on the back of the kart does nothing to help me write lower numbers on the score card. Maybe when I get better and not putt 40 times a round I'll play some guys who buy irons by there look for some money lol.

So far, these irons are everything that Callaway has claimed. Definitely longer, crazy forgiving. The thing that Callaway did not emphasize is accuracy. I'm hitting these irons very straight. Ball speeds are fairly consistent across the face. I'm finding the AW to be a killer around the greens. Love the recoil shafts. Great job Callaway!
I've played mine for 3 rounds and I have to agree with MBradley. These are very forgiving irons and the distance is better by 5-10 yards than any other set I have played. For us players that need help, I don't think you will find a better SGI set. Easy to hit, straight ball flight, VERY forgiving, and extra yardage. What more could a mid-high handicapper ask for, other than a putter that sinks the ball every time and when comes out, please let me know. Bottom line, these were well worth what I paid for them and will be my club of choice for a long time to come.

I really like the looks of these irons and what I am reading about them. But I tried twice to replace my Diablo Forged irons last year with the X Hot Pros and then the regular X Hots and both ended up being a miserable failure. So the next iron set is gonna have a tough time getting me to give them a swing. I'm gessing that once the prices start dropping next year, I'll start looking harder at the Big Bertha irons though.

I am loving what I am hearing.

I have a quick question here, and it might have been answered and I missed it.

Has anyone who hit these irons had troubles not being able to get the ball in the air ( high ball flight) with their previous irons?

I sometimes struggle getting what I feel is a nice high bald flight.

Has anyone who hit these irons had troubles not being able to get the ball in the air ( high ball flight) with their previous irons?

These definitely get the ball higher than my current irons. Just high and far. In fact, that was one of the bigger things I noticed when I hit these; the high ball flight.

These cost as much as the Apex?

These definitely get the ball higher than my current irons. Just high and far. In fact, that was one of the bigger things I noticed when I hit these; the high ball flight.

High flight but flat trajectory. These irons are spinning upwards to 2,000 rpm less than other irons, but still stop well on the greens. The lower spin gives pro-like flight. With irons this hot, I'm so impressed with the lack of hot spots on the face. Again, great, great job Callaway.

I'm finding the recoils to very much play to flex. With the lighter weight, I did not expect this. They are well matched with this head.

Finally hit some more balls with these, yesterday, at a not-very-busy shop. The look was keeping me away, and it was still a little "blech" while demo-ing. But, it's hard to argue with high and mostly straight. Didn't care for the steel shaft - the Recoil 460 stiff wasn't too bad, albeit a little light for my preferences. Sound also leaves something to be desired, but that's not why someone would buy these, anyway.

I've played my set for 6 rounds now. I have the Recoil Graphite shafts and I have no problem getting the ball up. Each iron produces a high ball flight with plenty of carry.

I hit the 5i today for a while and was quite impressed. I was hitting the Recoil in regular flex and was getting 5000 spin, 175 carry and dispersion was usually 5 yards in either direction. Those are nice numbers for a 5i for me and definitely rival those of my 5h.

I really want to hit these, just to see how much farther they will go than my current set. My guess is I'll just laugh at how easy it is to hit and the distance that comes from a 5 iron. lol

I really want to hit these, just to see how much farther they will go than my current set. My guess is I'll just laugh at how easy it is to hit and the distance that comes from a 5 iron. lol

The distances I saw yesterday were kinda ridiculous, though hard to trust an indoor LM at a big box store.

The distances I saw yesterday were kinda ridiculous, though hard to trust an indoor LM at a big box store.

They say two club lengths more, right? Soooooo, that means I should see around 20-30 yards more...more or less. That puts the Bertha 5 iron around 220-230 range, give or take 5 yards. lol I can't wait to see that!

Wouldn't count on seeing two clubs from the XHP's, but probably some added yards.

Got the Recoil Graphite Shafts in 6 to Pw now just waiting for the collar bone to heal. Lol. Too many thrills and spills.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Got the Recoil Graphite Shafts in 6 to Pw now just waiting for the collar bone to heal. Lol. Too many thrills and spills.

That is an interesting combo. I look forward to reading your feedback.

As soon as I can swing it. They are the stiff flex F4. Felt just like steel with lower spin during fitting.

Got the graphite to combat elbow pain.

This irons are intriguing to me and have me interested. Anyone remember the FTs or Fusion-wides from the 2008 timeframe? These resemble them a lot.

Finally saw these in person today in the pro shop at Nate's course. Looked pretty good, definitely bigger face and top line than Apex. Compared at address against JPX 825's and look was pretty similar. Looking forward to hitting these soon.

This irons are intriguing to me and have me interested. Anyone remember the FTs or Fusion-wides from the 2008 timeframe? These resemble them a lot.

Yep - definitely very fusion looking. Thought I also saw some RAZR XF in them as well especially with the sole design.

Looks in pictures are closer than in person. Then add the new technology incorporated and I think its a nice evolution from those irons.

When they are sitting in the bag They look humongous. But at address only the top edge is seen. Except for the bass in the 4 and 5 irons everything else is hidden.

But yes very fusión like in look and feel but, much longer than any iron i have hit before.

Back