Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Ordered the Heavenwood and Divine 9 today. Looking forward to hitting these.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pulled the Heavenwood twice yesterday, absolute smoke shows! Pushed one a little right but the ball just seems to jump off this club, really fun to swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. Right now it's going to play at 40.5 inches (heaven wood normally plays at 42.75) with an 86 gram shaft. I think it'll suit the number I'm pursuing and will add a little elevation and control compared to the hybrid.

I'm excited.

Canadian
Did you try the shorty HW yet ?
My local shop has the GBB and I thought about throwing a Bertha hybrid recoil shaft in it just to mess around with.

Welcome back Divine Nine!

Could not agree more, the Divine Nine is just that, it replaces a 4H for me, so I no longer carry a hybrid. The Divine 9 for me sits between a 5-iron and a 5-wood. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the GBB fairway woods. I have the driver and use them in the lighter Bassera shaft. I think the finish on these heads are amazing and just exudes classic club making. The smokey rough finish, with the slightly raised chevron just looks cool. Versus the TM product, which for me looks like a black&white cookie, and the new Ping offering which has that manic tubulator stuff....Callaway really gets it in my opinion, not only are they the best woods on the market, and the best looking, but I think they are the best built and just feel like a high quality product, something Titleist has always been known for. I have SO much confidence in my 5-wood now. I have added loft and closed the face and I'm able to hit a high shot that is either straight or a draw. I can't say enough good things about these fairway woods....

Canadian
My local shop has the GBB and I thought about throwing a Bertha hybrid recoil shaft in it just to mess around with.

I'll be honest, IMO, its defeating a large part of the purpose of the club. But thats my take.

Dan though, is a unique case with his swing capabilities and speed (LAUNCH for days).

Canadian

I did, but most of it was dead into wind and my swing is that of a circus elephant when I am hitting into large winds.

Hopefully I've have more to share eventually, but as of right now I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing.

I'll be honest, IMO, its defeating a large part of the purpose of the club.

It is. At that point, one is merely taking a higher lofted fairway wood.
It doesnt mean it wont work to fill a gap, but its not really a heavenwood anymore.

I agree with you.

It is. At that point, one is merely taking a higher lofted fairway wood.
It doesnt mean it wont work to fill a gap, but its not really a heavenwood anymore.

I agree with you.

For what it's worth, that's basically the plan. I just happened to have a line on a great fairway that I could set to 19* to fill a gap.

For what it's worth, that's basically the plan. I just happened to have a line on a great fairway that I could set to 19* to fill a gap.

Oh no, absolutely, I know you are trying to hit a gap. My only statement is to people thinking about randomly hacking off a lot of length on this and what it will do to the design. You're a unique case-study, if you will.

There is a reason though that the design has worked SO well for SO many over all the evolutions, and at the length it is normally.

I ask this sincerely, but isnt this what we advise against at most times. Fitting based on loft rather than total package?

I ask this sincerely, but isnt this what we advise against at most times. Fitting based on loft rather than total package?

Of course. And that's why 19* is a starting point, not a guarantee. I've got a 23* hybrid in the bag as well, something I'm not familiar with.

...but the only way to gain a better understanding of what and how seems to be to get it out there and try it. I suspect I am nowhere close to being finished with this experiment, which may very well end with AMart upgrading his heavenwood and me returning to what I know.

I suppose i could have been more telling with my plans early on, but now is as good of a time as ever. I hit the stock V-Series heavenwood setup in Myrtle with you and 441 last year and saw incredible distance with great height. I thought if I could take that type of head and bring the launch and distance down a bit, it would fit well in my bag progression to be a bit more versatile.

Can't wait to get the Heavenwood out of the house now that it's here. If things work well, I've already been eyeing a D9 just because I want to try it. Never bagged a FW higher than a 7 before. I'm expecting the HW to fill my 5W spot and it will be my longest club for shots off the turf unless the Mini surprises me there.

Of course. And that's why 19* is a starting point, not a guarantee. I've got a 23* hybrid in the bag as well, something I'm not familiar with.

...but the only way to gain a better understanding of what and how seems to be to get it out there and try it. I suspect I am nowhere close to being finished with this experiment, which may very well end with AMart upgrading his heavenwood and me returning to what I know.

I suppose i could have been more telling with my plans early on, but now is as good of a time as ever. I hit the stock V-Series heavenwood setup in Myrtle with you and 441 last year and saw incredible distance with great height. I thought if I could take that type of head and bring the launch and distance down a bit, it would fit well in my bag progression to be a bit more versatile.

So you did not get to hit the GBB Heavenwood as set before it became shorter? Or you did hit it at standard? I might have missed that.

So you did not get to hit the GBB Heavenwood as set before it became shorter? Or you did hit it at standard? I might have missed that.

Not yet, but I will. It was head only when it arrived. This just happened to be a shaft that I had with a Callaway adapter already on it. Seemed convenient enough for a try.

After seeing a lot of these in various bags this weekend I am very curious. I should've asked a few if I could take some swings with the heavenwood as it is exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Heavenwood haunts me in a good way. For the life of me I can't understand how it and the D9 overlapped in distance like they did at ECPC. numbers don't lie and I trusted the fitter, but I enjoyed the VSeries version so much I want to add one of these.

The Heavenwood haunts me in a good way. For the life of me I can't understand how it and the D9 overlapped in distance like they did at ECPC. numbers don't lie and I trusted the fitter, but I enjoyed the VSeries version so much I want to add one of these.

it's because that range is crazy difficult to swing normally for a fitting. It's usually into the wind and with a bit elevation which just messes with the mind. Of course that could just be me and my lack of concentration.

it's because that range is crazy difficult to swing normally for a fitting. It's usually into the wind and with a bit elevation which just messes with the mind. Of course that could just be me and my lack of concentration.

Funny thing is that the wind really wasn't an issue that day and I felt pretty good with my swing to give accurate feedback. I went in trusting the fitter and I did (one reason I didn't question the DBD suggestion). I've played several times since then and my D9 is just really good for me in that spot and covers a yardage I need. I think the HW is on the mind because it's adjustable and I can dial the loft. Right now the D9 is 24* and my Apex 5HY is 26*, even though i'm not seeing any overlap with the yardage gaps, i like the versatility of the HW...... it's a good problem to have.... lol

I don't think I have ever hit the heaven wood better than I did today including 3 times off the deck and carrying 220+

I just swapped out the XR 16 for a GBB 3W which I'll be playing at N +1. I was absolutely smoking it on the GC2 and I'm excited about putting it play!

I don't think I have ever hit the heaven wood better than I did today including 3 times off the deck and carrying 220+
The shot on the Par 5 was absolutely smoked. Still cant believe that ball went that far.

Canadian - any updates on the shorty Heavenwood?

I did have a chance to take the Recoil shaft out of a Bertha 3h and attach the HW head. It was a pretty fun club to hit.
But I don't care for the feel of the Recoil. I seemed to do better just choking down 2-3" on the stock HW Kuro shaft.

Also distance didn't appear to be anything special. My normal K15 5w looked like it was flying much further on the range.

The shot on the Par 5 was absolutely smoked. Still cant believe that ball went that far.

Yes sir. You layered it at 229 to pin I believe. I flew it just past the pin (ball mark) and it stopped 5 feet from there. Only birdie of the day for me too.

I need to try this version and see how it compares for me vs the v series edition for me

I need to try this version and see how it compares for me vs the v series edition for me

For me its lower flight by a good margin, but I liked both of them a lot.

Back