Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

My buddy picked up a Mav 5w off CPO. Looked brand new. His first two swings with it last higher were 225 carry/243 total, and 224 carry/244 total. He’s very happy with the purchase, which cost him $75 after trading in a well-used Rogue.
I absolutely love the three and the five wood. I have the Maverick Max. I got the three after the five and was amazed at how easy it was to hit and get in the air. The three is like hitting the five only longer lol. These fairway woods are confidence inspiring.Really great fairway woods and I can't wait to get them back on the course.

My buddy picked up a Mav 5w off CPO. Looked brand new. His first two swings with it last higher were 225 carry/243 total, and 224 carry/244 total.
Yeah, guys here last year were getting so much distance out of the 5w that, coupled with my not being able to execute with my Ping G30 3w, I decided to get just the 5w and 7w. But then, late last week, I got to re-thinking that after reading a bunch of comments here about the Mav Max 3w :ROFLMAO:

I absolutely love the three and the five wood. I have the Maverick Max. I got the three after the five and was amazed at how easy it was to hit and get in the air.
Comments like that ^^^^^

So I'll give the Mav Max 3w a go. Worst that can happen is I just plain don't get along with 3-woods and I put it up for sale. Given that what I bought is in like new condition, I'll probably be able to sell it for little less than I paid for it.

Or I just pull it from the bag, set it aside, then go back to it later and try again.

Anyone notice the top line marking up quickly on the max fairways ?

I had both the Heavenwood and 9w and within 2-3 shots the top line had bad marks. I’ve played the Flash fairways for a season and no marks on Them at all top line wise.

i still love the mav 4h so freaking much. hit it twice in my round today, both times after poopy drives with the mav max. 205 iirc, and i had to hoist it over a tree. necked it a little, but ended up past pin high greenside in the right rough. the second time was on the 18th hole, 210 in a little light/bare rough. pin on the right, so aimed at the middle for a little cut. came off with a perfect mid flight, the smallest cut, carried to a couple yards short of the green and released a few yards to the back. set me up for a birdie chance that i didn't deserve after a poor tee shot.

the mav max had some really nice moments today, but that low spin toe jammer hook is absolutely killing me on the course. i'm ready to get something else in play and see if i can have some more success.

Just picked up a Mav driver and Max 3 & 7 woods off CPO, pretty excited

My fairway metals are consolidated into 1 club, a Mav 4w. I had it out for the first time this past week and really didn't hit it that well, it felt too long. So I cut it down to my last 4w length down 3/4" to 42.5". Haven't hit it yet at the new length but am confident it will be good. The Mav line of clubs are very solid when striking the ball.

Hit the SZ 3W a couple times today off the deck. Still amazes me how easy it is to get these fairways to launch. I can use it off the tee and into the par 5's on my course. I think these fairways are my favorite clubs from my Grandaddy fitting in 2019.

Whoo hoo!
banana.gif
Took a week to do it, because apparently Mav Max 3-woods are a hot item at CPO right now, but my guy at CPO finally snagged one for me!
You will enjoy that. Glad you where able to pick one up!!!

The Max 7w was so easy to hit today! Hit two long par threes in regulation - it's basically point & shoot. Now I'm thinking I might need the 5w too

3 wood has been a little hit or miss for me since putting it in the bag, but I think that's more an issue with me and my winter swing more than the club. Still loving the hybrids though. I don't think I'll ever tinker with this setup. They're good enough that I'm almost afraid to regrip them!

3 wood has been a little hit or miss for me since putting it in the bag, but I think that's more an issue with me and my winter swing more than the club. Still loving the hybrids though. I don't think I'll ever tinker with this setup. They're good enough that I'm almost afraid to regrip them!
I have a Mav 4w that I am not hitting so well, but like you said, it's the 'winter hangover' that is causing it, not the club. Fairways always take a little longer for me to get into form because they are a longer club trying to hit off the turf. I am totally confident that it will be a great club for me. The Max driver I am just killing though.

I have a Mav 4w that I am not hitting so well, but like you said, it's the 'winter hangover' that is causing it, not the club. Fairways always take a little longer for me to get into form because they are a longer club trying to hit off the turf. I am totally confident that it will be a great club for me. The Max driver I am just killing though.

I'm sure that's it too. 3W is usually a second tee option for me. Ironically enough, in my small sample set, I've been more successful off the deck. Crazy game...

The max 3W continues to be pretty reliable for me. Two rounds this past week and I hit some shots that made me want to keep this club for a while. I have it paired with the VA Composite VYLYN and it's a great combo for me. It's making some par 5's reachable when previously I was playing for front of the green.

Dropped my Max 3w/5w off at the fitter yesterday to switch out shafts. Going from the Riptide 60 6.0 to the MMT 70x. I didn't realize I had 60 gram shafts in them and as my swingspeed has went up this year, I wanted a heavier and stiffer shaft than what is in the driver to help reduce a little spin and see if it straightens these back out. I didn't realize I had 70g shafts in my Taylormade JetSpeed fwy woods, which I think are among my all time favorite woods and I used to smoke them. I hit the Mav Max woods good, but not like my TM I had. Thinking and hoping the shaft switch gets me back to what I am looking for/wanting.

I really need a high launching, long 3W for the course I now belong to. With my Epic Flash, even set at+2 I have a problem getting it to launch very high off these really tight fairways. However, my 5W is another story; I hit that very well by comparison. So, I just ordered the Max 3W based on supposedly how easy it is to hit off the turf, hoping it is the Holy Grail of 3-woods for me! :)

The SZ fairways are great, they handle the wind well and easy to move the ball either way when needed. Stock shaft in these are a great pairing.

The SZ fairways are great, they handle the wind well and easy to move the ball either way when needed. Stock shaft in these are a great pairing.
I have the stock shafts in the Mavrik Max 3 and 5 as well. They are great. First two real rounds of the year this weekend and both of these clubs continue to amaze me with how much easier they are to launch than any fairway wood I have ever hit.They are long as well. I can really get the five up quickly and over trees that in the past I probably would have hit a six or seven iron. Love these fairway woods and im not even interested in looking at or hitting anything new that has come out

I know the Max is supposed to be the easiest to hit off the fairway. How do you find the SZ as far as ease to hit and type of launch you get? I went with the in-between standard Mavrik but haven't played it yet. Curious as to what I might expect.

I really need a high launching, long 3W for the course I now belong to. With my Epic Flash, even set at+2 I have a problem getting it to launch very high off these really tight fairways. However, my 5W is another story; I hit that very well by comparison. So, I just ordered the Max 3W based on supposedly how easy it is to hit off the turf, hoping it is the Holy Grail of 3-woods for me! :)

While I've never hit the standard Mav 3w, the Max 3w is the best 3w I've played, by far (although there's not tons of things to compare it to). It's a really good companion to the Max 5w, for sure.

First round with my Mav Max 3+ FW with the VA Nemesys 75 Four shaft.
I'm in absolute love with this combo!
I hit all of the deck yesterday and got some really nice yardages - It's great off the first cut of rough where the ball is sitting up a bit.

Last edited:
I know the Max is supposed to be the easiest to hit off the fairway. How do you find the SZ as far as ease to hit and type of launch you get? I went with the in-between standard Mavrik but haven't played it yet. Curious as to what I might expect.
SZ launches easy for me. No issues at all. I would say mid launch with mid/high trajectory that goes out and rolls over nicely. Great tee club for me on tighter fairways.

SZ launches easy for me. No issues at all. I would say mid launch with mid/high trajectory that goes out and rolls over nicely. Great tee club for me on tighter fairways.
Thanks! 3 woods have never been kind to me. I can crank my Epic Flash 5W but can't consistently hit the 3 worth a darn. I picked up the standard Mav and am anxious to see the results from it.

The Mx 5w has been a life saver on longer approaches and my 2nd shots on par 5s, I can't wait to keep using is this year.

Back