Callaway Prototype Utility Iron

Normanator

Reaction score
Combe, Witney, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Handicap
Just seen a new prototype from Callaway and once again they have made a amazing looking club. Can't wait to try that thing out.

Callaway-X-Proto-Utility-Iron_640.jpg

I like it too. I'm sure we'll hear more about it from THP soon.

This thing looks pretty sweet, it screams hit the stinger.

whoa! that thing looks crazy! I'd love to swing it. Anyone know what loft it is

I thought I read they were not going to release this to the public.

Ernie Els won the Open Championship with three of these in the bag. Callaway has hinted at a possible public release in the future.

Ernie Els won the Open Championship with three of these in the bag. Callaway has hinted at a possible public release in the future.

I hope your right, would love to see one in person and try hitting one.

I'll hold judgement for more pictures and info, however its tough to envision Callaway introducing something less than spectacular. From this pic alone it looks Niblick'ish?

There are more photos of these on golfwrx.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

It will be released to the public, they already gave one away through a Twitter (??) contest. It is just a matter of when...

I really dont like the looks of it just based on that one pic.. I will withhold judgement until I see it in person.

I'm not sure what niche this fills. Driving iron? Hybrid for people whose egos don't let them use hybrids?
Love to see/try one of these in person. Certainly a solid looking sort of club.

I wonder if that's a weight in the bottom. I wonder if it is removable or what it is for if not just decoration.

I plan on bagging the 3 iron version if it is as solid as I hope it will be...I am holding off on buying and i20 3 iron to wait for it.

What is the difference between this, and a big shovel-like iron like the ones in my set?
Would this go after those big Cleveland irons?

I really dont like the looks of it just based on that one pic.. I will withhold judgement until I see it in person.

Kinda what I was thinking. Need to see these in hand because every picture it seems is different that I see haha. But if its good enough for Ernie Els should be good enough for us :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

The green reminds me of THP, and its probably preforms just as well as it looks.

I would LOVE to try one of these in a 3 iron model!

I'm not sure what niche this fills. Driving iron? Hybrid for people whose egos don't let them use hybrids?
Love to see/try one of these in person. Certainly a solid looking sort of club.

I believe you've answered your own question...along the same lines, I'm also interested to see the rumored Titleist 913Hd. Either might fiind it's way into my bag, as I think it's about time tio give my old KZG U-Iron a rest.

Some new pictures I discovered! And I can confirm that this Utility Iron is a forged club as on the last photo you can see the 'FORGED' lettering on the hosel of the iron.

elsprototype.jpg
Callaway-X-Proto-Utility_640.jpg
640x480px-LL-0b0b7a5f_callaway_utility_x_prototype_hybrid_4.jpeg
ErnieElsCallawayUI_1000.jpg

What is the difference between this, and a big shovel-like iron like the ones in my set?
Would this go after those big Cleveland irons?

No. These kinds of "driving irons" are really intended for the better player who wants a lower ball flight than a fairway wood or hybrid can give them. They are forgiving yes, but they don't have nearly the perimeter weighting as found on shovel/game improvement irons.

These are going to be marketed toward the better player as an alternative to hybrids, and I believe Callaway has said that these are actually more versatile than hybrids in certain conditions as far as working the ball and cutting through weird lies.

Those things just look wicked.

No. These kinds of "driving irons" are really intended for the better player who wants a lower ball flight than a fairway wood or hybrid can give them. They are forgiving yes, but they don't have nearly the perimeter weighting as found on shovel/game improvement irons.

These are going to be marketed toward the better player as an alternative to hybrids, and I believe Callaway has said that these are actually more versatile than hybrids in certain conditions as far as working the ball and cutting through weird lies.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation.
You mention better players - why would these not be condusive to a newb such as myself?

Back