Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

I got my Razr hawk tour today with the miyazaki dromos 61s 5534 shaft. Good looking club and felt nice. Bit long at 46 inches. I've hit the rip in the bay with launch monitor which is why I got the club. The dromos is one of the hottest shafts out there right now with mid launch low spin so loved that combo with the hawk and 160 ball speed I was getting. So take it to the outside range and WELLLL........

I didn't see any of the same results my ball flight was super high again where on monitor it was about 10 deg today about 17. The club felt I had a sock on it just super soft. I have no idea of distance but was at back of range but just don't know as feedback from club was minimal. I did put some good swings on it with a nice high but boring flight which would be fine but I'm afraid if I had any stiff wind in face I'd be a dead man and in Florida we get a lot of wind. Now I'm coming from a very boardy stiff club 8.5 cobra s 9.1 pro s with platinum graffalloy stiff shaft 75 g. Now I'm in a 63 g shaft and 9.5 but tested both on monitor and hawk won by a mile. I did go back and forth with clubs and felt my old club had more boring flight and roll but also harder to control. When I didn't put a good swing on it boy that ball shot 200 ft in the air ugly. The pull hooks have killed me with old club and those didn't seem so bad with hawk.

I don't want to take too much from one range session as playing on course at World woods so we will see but very disappointed from launch monitor to real conditions so far. My next step will be to shorten club to 45 and tip it about .5 to bring flight down and take some softness from the feel.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

I got my Razr hawk tour today with the miyazaki dromos 61s 5534 shaft. Good looking club and felt nice. Bit long at 46 inches. I've hit the rip in the bay with launch monitor which is why I got the club. The dromos is one of the hottest shafts out there right now with mid launch low spin so loved that combo with the hawk and 160 ball speed I was getting. So take it to the outside range and WELLLL........

I didn't see any of the same results my ball flight was super high again where on monitor it was about 10 deg today about 17. The club felt I had a sock on it just super soft. I have no idea of distance but was at back of range but just don't know as feedback from club was minimal. I did put some good swings on it with a nice high but boring flight which would be fine but I'm afraid if I had any stiff wind in face I'd be a dead man and in Florida we get a lot of wind. Now I'm coming from a very boardy stiff club 8.5 cobra s 9.1 pro s with platinum graffalloy stiff shaft 75 g. Now I'm in a 63 g shaft and 9.5 but tested both on monitor and hawk won by a mile. I did go back and forth with clubs and felt my old club had more boring flight and roll but also harder to control. When I didn't put a good swing on it boy that ball shot 200 ft in the air ugly. The pull hooks have killed me with old club and those didn't seem so bad with hawk.

I don't want to take too much from one range session as playing on course at World woods so we will see but very disappointed from launch monitor to real conditions so far. My next step will be to shorten club to 45 and tip it about .5 to bring flight down and take some softness from the feel.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Did you get this customized through Callaway? Or did you buy the Dromos and install it?

custom fit not through callaway though. What do they do that's different? I didn't get to to test shaft but went to fitting center which then says these shafts are best suited for swing and went with dromos as one of best shafts on market with the specs I needed.

Demoed the Octane tour 3w yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! This thing just seem to rocket off the clubehad. Distance was about 20 yards short of my R9 supertri driver and way past my old TM 3w. The head just sets up perfecly and I can even hit controlled fades with this stick! Also tried the RAZR Hawk 3w bit did not like it as much as the Octane. Just did not set up as easily and felt dull at impact. I have a tendency to hook fairway woods, but the with the Octane tour this is not an issue anymore. Ordered one right away. Cant wait to take it out on the course!

Clubs look awesome. I wouldn't mind trying to get my hands on one of these to demo.

From the sounds of it I may want to give the New Razr Hawk a little test spin. I play the FT-9 TA and love that driver so it's hard to believe I will even gain more yardage. But I guess there's only one way to find out!

I'm in serious research mode right now.

I'm in serious research mode right now.

I bet you are, you really only have two ways to go though. and I know which way I would go.

Right on Hawk, the shaft direction is key.

I've had two fittings and both came up with the same shaft, and luckily it's available.

Loved listening to this again, the R&D that went in to these clubs is amazing, and it shows in their performance.

Right on Hawk, the shaft direction is key.

That it is. Tell me again what driver you had from Cally at the outing? Was it the RH or the RH Tour? Sorry, this is surely a dumb question.

That it is. Tell me again what driver you had from Cally at the outing? Was it the RH or the RH Tour? Sorry, this is surely a dumb question.

The RH Tour was available but I won't be going that direction my friend.

That makes sense with your shot shape and preferences.

Razr Hawk driver 10.5* for Cap'n with a low launching low spin shaft is what I'm thinking.

Love all the research that is being done. The lucky Morgan Cup staffer have some GREAT options from Callaway and some big decisions to make! Both of these drivers are fantastic I think they truly have something for everyone in the 2011 line.

Razr Hawk driver 10.5* for Cap'n with a low launching low spin shaft is what I'm thinking.

Sounds like a winning combination to me. Razr Hawk 10.5, high launching, low spinning shaft for me I think.

Sounds like a winning combination to me. Razr Hawk 10.5, high launching, low spinning shaft for me I think.

Kind of thinking along the same ways. I love pondering mode

just tap it in!

Pondering over!

Sweet. I really can't wait to see what you end up with dude.

Me too. I'm really looking forward to putting my chosen Callaway driver to the test at the Morgan Cup!

Pondering over!

Can't wait!!!! Performance baby!

Back