Callaway Super Hybrid

I like the offset (or lack thereof ?)!

Great write up @JB this one will be in a few folks bags very soon I imagine.

Never been a fan of hybrids, but with the placement of the tungsten and how it says to help launch and forgiveness then it may be worth trying for me. Maybe as a 7W replacement.

Just went to the preorder site and dropped my preferred hybrid shaft into it and the price jumped to $439. Yeah, that's not happening.

I'm guessing this will appeal to the person that doesn't hit fairway woods very well and wants to benefit from the look and shorter shaft of a hybrid, but still not give up much distance compared to a fairway wood. I stink with a fairway wood off of the deck, the one that would intrigue me here is taking the 17 degree one and lofting it down to 16 and playing it on the tighter courses around here.

I really like the look, and glad to see more hybrids getting the adapter added for adjustability. Could be a great replacement for someone that doesn't like a large FW off the tee or even a par 5 2nd shot.

That looks, large.

Interesting, though I'm honestly not sure how on earth it could creep more into the fairway wood length realm than the Flash already does. If it does, that’s scary.
I was wondering something along the same lines. How does it compare in size to the Big Bertha '19 hybrids?

While I heard rumblings of a Super Hybrid coming out, waking up to the news today was a surprise. I am interested to see how long these babies are. Sounds like this thing is loaded with tech.

i definitely like the looks of that....has a throwback look to the sole

When I first opened the box, I was thinking "man that is big". As you dive in a bit more, it kind of rounds off of that. If that makes any sense. Kind of like saying "boy this is a tiny fairway wood" vs "this is a large hybrid".
I prefer the look of a FW over a hybrid. The hybrid I have now is quite large so this is something I’m definitely interested in testing

Big Bertha, Epic Flash, Apex and now these. I am not sure...I guess my immediate reaction is kinda in the realm of why do we need 4 lines of hybrids? Also, not sure about that name. I’m a big Callaway fan but this one feels like a bit of a miss for me.

I'm always game for something new in the hybrid market. I will try this one for sure.

Sort of a hybrid/fairway mix here, blurring the lines some?

As an idea I like this alot. I'm just skeptical that I'll see any gains over my Big Bertha hybrids after the Flash hybrids didnt deliver any.

Big Bertha, Epic Flash, Apex and now these. I am not sure...I guess my immediate reaction is kinda in the realm of why do we need 4 lines of hybrids? Also, not sure about that name. I’m a big Callaway fan but this one feels like a bit of a miss for me.

I agree with this, 4 lines of hybrids in less than a 12-month period seems bit ridiculous. Not a huge fan of them name either.

I agree with this, 4 lines of hybrids in less than a 12-month period seems bit ridiculous. Not a huge fan of them name either.

Out of curiosity why? Its not ridiculous when a company releases 5-8 iron sets why are hybrids different? Genuine question.

I think when this hits more mainstream in stores, it will be a different animal, as more of a new category for some. Its larger than most hybrids, and smaller than most fairways.

Very interesting by yes, the price?

Does this mean my trusty Adams Idea Black Super Hybrid is no longer super?

Seriously though, the way technology is moving forward it may have only been a matter of time before someone created a hybrid that was as long as a FW. That 17 degree model just screams 5 or maybe 4 wood replacement to me. I know the Flash hybrid ball speeds and distances have been silly, but I don't recall Callaway saying those hybrids had FW distance.

I'm not connected like some of you guys are: Did this just drop out of left field?

I honestly do not know how it could be any longer than the Epic Flash head, although the larger size certainly could make it easier to launch and more forgiving.

I honestly do not know how it could be any longer than the Epic Flash head, although the larger size certainly could make it easier to launch and more forgiving.

I can think of a couple of reasons. First, the titanium face will hold ball speeds a little better in my opinion (at least outside the sweet spot). Second, the shaft I believe is an inch longer than the Epic Flash as well.

Titanium used throughout aligned with the carbon crown leaves them nearly 70 grams of weight to move around. That means more mim'd tungsten where they want it for both lateral forgiveness and launch control.

With that said, I don't think that is its direct competition. I think this really veers towards people that don't normally enjoy hybrids and want a long club that is easier to hit than FW or they do enjoy hybrids and want something that is easier to hit than the FW.

Out of curiosity why? Its not ridiculous when a company releases 5-8 iron sets why are hybrids different? Genuine question.

I think when this hits more mainstream in stores, it will be a different animal, as more of a new category for some. Its larger than most hybrids, and smaller than most fairways.

To be fair, I also think it is ridiculous to release 5-8 iron sets in less than a year.

To be fair, I also think it is ridiculous to release 5-8 iron sets in less than a year.

Im not sure I can think of a single company that doesn't have that many irons in line at the same time.

the article in the op had some great information. i also think this video with doc hoc explains a lot, and maybe helped me understand a bit better who this is targeted to.

maybe the most interesting thing to me is this is geared toward faster swingers. when i think distance hybrid, that is not the player i generally think about.

This has me interested. Mainly bc in most par 5s I’m usually stuck between my hybrid or 3 wood, which a 5 wood would do but I’m not a fan of 5 wood bc it doesn’t fit my eye at address. So this could be a good balance between wood and hybrid in that gapping space and provide more bite on the green with a good descent angle.

I use 3 wood for 265+ off the deck and I need something for 225-250 range for those par 5s Or short par 4s.

maybe the most interesting thing to me is this is geared toward faster swingers. when i think distance hybrid, that is not the player i generally think about.

I think the conventional thought aligns with you, at least on the internet. With that said, in some ways it is a new category and if it makes it easier for a faster swinger to work with this rather than a fairway, I like the addition.

I think we are going to see quite a bit of this type of club coming in the future throughout the industry. That transitional spot in the bag as irons get longer.

@DNevsCG was quoted in the Golf Dogest article as saying, “It’s really a fairway wood power in a hybrid, mostly directed at a better player but also extending out with the 23-degree to a game improvement player.”

He said they thinks it’ll be as long or longer than a lot of fairway woods but will provide more versatility.

Really seems like this is a worth a test and seeing how it fits into the bag with gapping etc.

I have never been a hybrid fan, but I’m excited to give this a try for some reason.

Back