Callaway to discontinue support for UPRO product 12/31/14...

bigdaddy

Reaction score
Handicap
Went online today and saw this notice on the website where you add new courses...
"As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the www.callawayuxplore.com website will be shut down after 12/31/2014. Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices.

More FAQ for your device: • Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable.

• No new course updates will be processed.

• The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

For questions and more information on these updates, contact our support center at: www.callawayuxplore.com/supportThank you for using upro and supporting Callaway Golf!"

A little annoying as my GPS works OK , but has never been great. They promised features and never came through on them. The features that were added never worked correctly and NOW they decide to pull the plug on the GPS business . To be totally honest, I am ticked off.

They essentially are leaving their customers out in the cold looking in holding $400 paper weights (I was an early adopter....stupid me...)

I will never buy a Callaway Product, no matter how much I like listening to Harry...

Ok you have to remember this product was before he got there.

The decision to create something that didn't work right from day 1 had nothing to do with him or his new team/style of running things.

I think it is more of a shift in focus, the older Callaway leadership looked to get their name on a wide range of golf related items the new leadership wants to focus on clubs and hard goods. I would rather them do that, unfortunately there will always be people stuck when an item is no longer going to be serviced or supported.

It sucks for people that bought the product, but I like that Callaway is becoming more focused.

"The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates."

So you will still have a functioning unit, it just won't add new courses.... Not the end of the world. Plenty of tech becomes obsolete or loses support.

True, but when do you need a GPS most??? When you are on a new course!!!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think this has been out there for a couple months. I understand your frustration, but if it's not to your liking, sounds like moving on won't be that painful. It's a tough call I'm sure but it's definitely not a reflection on how Harry and his team and the entire company work anymore.

Everybody company that sells something containing software eventually has to quit supporting it. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, Sony, etc. do it all of the time. It isn't profitable to maintain dinosaur products and sell newer technologies.

FWIW, I also have a UPro. I'll update it with all of my local courses and go on about my business.

But, I don't hit 2 shots in a row, within 5 yards of each other. So, IMO, GPS/Lasers/Rangefinders are not worth anything near what they cost, in relation to strokes saved.

True, but when do you need a GPS most??? When you are on a new course!!!

Unfortunately they have gone in a new direction. The new leadership has come in and decided this isn't a good market for them. The thing was basically a failure from the start.

You can find GPS watches and standalone GPS units for 150 and even cheaper in cases. I would suggest finding a new one if need be, but this unfortunate situation doesn't have anything to do with Harry and his new team

They have lost me as a customer, plain and simple. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you created the mess or not, you still are part of a team that created it. At least fix it or make it right with the people who you bamboozled into buying your "new and innovative" product.

At least it will make buying clubs a little easier this year

Fair enough. Everyone has their opinions on things, but as one who went and spoke to them I was excited to hear that with his leadership they are going to refocus their efforts and get away from stuff like GPS units.

Regardless, every manufacturer quits supporting their units at some point.. But your mind is made up no use in explaining that one

Oh and just as an aside, I also have one of these units...

I would email them your thoughts, we can't do anything for you on here, but maybe they will. At least explore that route before giving up entirely.

How long has the UPro been around?

the MX+ released about 2 years ago.. The original, no idea.

They have lost me as a customer, plain and simple. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you created the mess or not, you still are part of a team that created it. At least fix it or make it right with the people who you bamboozled into buying your "new and innovative" product.

Sorry you're upset, but I think swearing off the company because you were an early adopter of a failed product probably hurts you more than them as they are releasing great gear year after year. You still have a GPS unit that will work on 50 courses of your choosing, and if that isn't acceptable, maybe you should get a rangefinder that doesn't have these issues.

Do you believe if you bought an original Sony Playstation it should still be supported?

How long does a company have to support a product before it's okay to move on? Is Taylormade okay for not making xft face plates? Is Nike okay for not making the same adapters they made on their original changeable drivers? When is a company allowed to move to New products?

the MX+ released about 2 years ago.. The original, no idea.

This isn't any different than a company like Apple saying they're no longer doing updates for a phone like the 3GS then. It's frustrating, but there are so many good GPS devices out there that the someone could find for cheap. Sell what you have while someone can still make good use of it, buy something different.

This isn't any different than a company like Apple saying they're no longer doing updates for a phone like the 3GS then. It's frustrating, but there are so many good GPS devices out there that the someone could find for cheap. Sell what you have while someone can still make good use of it, buy something different.

That was my point from earlier. Get a unit for 100 or even less used. I am just glad Callaway is focusing on making clubs, because this year they did that very very very well

Can't fault you for your decision, as I am sure I would be disappointed if I was you, but man this is a bad time to leave Callaway in IMHO

Definitely contact the customer service line and see if they'll offer something to ease the pain, it does seem like a dickish move for them to do that but it doesn't happen with regularity with Callaway. They usually treat their customers really well and I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for them to do that.

I get why you are frustrated, this kind of situation sucks, but instead of throwing the towel on them, may I suggest that you contact them and tell them that you are feeling let down as a customer, I am pretty sure that a stellar company like Callaway will take the time to liste/read what you have to say and that they will try to make up for it.

Callaway should do something for the people who own them.

Why? Does Apple do something for me when they stop supporting my products? Or Microsoft or any other OEM? Things eventually have to be replaced... Companies cannot continue to support outdated things forever.

Why? Does Apple do something for me when they stop supporting my products? Or Microsoft or any other OEM? Things eventually have to be replaced... Companies cannot continue to support outdated things forever.

Because IMO it's the right thing to do.

It wouldn't be hard for a company like Callaway to partner with a company like bushnell and get people 40% off new devices when they trade in their old ones, or something similar.

TTing

they should support it through the warranty and that frankly is their only obligation as far as I see it. I assume with their last version being release 2+ years ago, and support going through 2014, that they have fulfilled that obligation and then some.

That being said, I certainly don't fault the OP for using this to form an opinion either. It's his personal experience, and frankly what should influence buying opinions. I may disagree in this instance, but i don't begrudge.

Back