Callaway to discontinue support for UPRO product 12/31/14...

Actually,; Apple does support it by keeping their software active...itunes.

They are basically taking units that work and making them worth almost nothing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Because IMO it's the right thing to do.

It wouldn't be hard for a company like Callaway to partner with a company like bushnell and get people 40% off new devices when they trade in their old ones, or something similar.

TTing

Windows XP is going to not be supported, so I should get windows 8 for 40% off just because I've got an old version of something they sell. Makes sense, right?

To be honest I was a bit peeved when I heard this news a while ago. I purchased a MX+ roughly 3 months before this news broke, but I only paid $50 for the unit. However if I would have known they were dropping support for this device so quickly I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

Can't blame them for shutting down that part of the business....it's just not what they do.

That whole they released gps with functions that were not operable is the big stink I have about it...but that horse has been beaten enough

I get why you are frustrated, this kind of situation sucks, but instead of throwing the towel on them, may I suggest that you contact them and tell them that you are feeling let down as a customer, I am pretty sure that a stellar company like Callaway will take the time to liste/read what you have to say and that they will try to make up for it.

I have taken your advice, but their service especially on the GPS side has been terrible.

No they arent... You can still use your unit. You can have FIFTY courses in the thing. I don't play fifty courses a year, mine will be fine until it breaks. I see in no way how this is going to be worth nothing

Apples to oranges man. I understand your displeasure, but that isn't exactly the best comparison. If you were an early adaptor, 3 or 4 years with one device is a heck of a life with technology these days. Callaway will keep it's warranty commitments and thank those who supported it. Like others said, there's not many other companies you can contact someone like Harry directly. Voice your opinion, respectfully, and put the ball in their court if you are truly upset with what's going on here.

No they arent... You can still use your unit. You can have FIFTY courses in the thing. I don't play fifty courses a year, mine will be fine until it breaks. I see in no way how this is going to be worth nothing

So wait, the unit will still work after they stop support and he can have up to 50 courses stored on the unit? So the issue is when he wants course 51 or 52 and so on, he won't be able to update again?

This kind of stinks. I love my UPro, but I rarely do use the pro features, other than to look over a course before I play it.

So wait, the unit will still work after they stop support and he can have up to 50 courses stored on the unit? So the issue is when he wants course 51 or 52 and so on, he won't be able to update again?

Yes Nate that is correct.

I picked it up for $50 on amazon and loaded all the courses I play. For the price it's good GPS till it breaks. I do feel for the people who payed full price though, but this won't be the first GPS to get support pulled.

Yes Nate that is correct.

Ok, just wanted to make sure I understood what bigdaddy was upset about.

I've got nothing. Enjoy your 50 courses as it sounds like you'll be able to use it 90% of the time to golf.

50 "Pro" mode courses. The GPS has 25,000 preloaded on the device. I never use the pro mode stuff myself. I just use the front back and middle readings and hazard distance.

50 "Pro" mode courses. The GPS has 25,000 preloaded on the device. I never use the pro mode stuff myself. I just use the front back and middle readings and hazard distance.

The news gets better and better then!

Yep. Pro mode was very iffy for me anyway so I just used all of the courses that were already preloaded, never found one that wasn't on there. I think people will be fine

no dog in this fight, but it would be cool of Callaway to man up and offer some sort of reimbursement for this... maybe like $150-200 gift card for some of their products that they are 'diverting all focus' to.

no dog in this fight, but it would be cool of Callaway to man up and offer some sort of reimbursement for this... maybe like $150-200 gift card for some of their products that they are 'diverting all focus' to.

While that would be very nice of them, I have no idea why they would do that. The unit will support 25,000 pre-loaded courses, and 50 others once the support stops, which is still a pretty useful device, and considering a lot got them for $50, giving away that much in gift cards seems pretty nuts.

The other main issue with this is that the website that it uses to sync all your stats and whatnot will no longer be active. The GPS unit will still work with the loaded courses but you can no longer track your stats and everything else related to the website.

I have a Upro mx+ i have had it for 2 years i am ok with them no longer supporting it will still work just no more updates which i rarely do any way for me the screen is so small it does not work well for some of the other modes i just use mine in basic mode

A consumer can choose to do whatever they want with their money.

I think the this situation is a little shortsighted, but understandable. FWIW, you will have almost a whole year to use the product and enjoy all of the features.

The other main issue with this is that the website that it uses to sync all your stats and whatnot will no longer be active. The GPS unit will still work with the loaded courses but you can no longer track your stats and everything else related to the website.

Ok, understand that but a work around would be to use one of the many free apps out there to do so now. Not saying it's perfect but there is a way around it. I was thinking that the users would be SOL with the GPS features and the devise wouldn't work anymore after they went "off-line". Now I can see an issue if that was the case. But this offering up $$$$$ or discounts to use other GPS devises is silly.

Ok, understand that but a work around would be to use one of the many free apps out there to do so now. Not saying it's perfect but there is a way around it. I was thinking that the users would be SOL with the GPS features and the devise wouldn't work anymore after they went "off-line". Now I can see an issue if that was the case. But this offering up $$$$$ or discounts to use other GPS devises is silly.
Most people who purchased such a unit did so for ALL of its capabilities, not half. I for one don't expect anything from Callaway, but if I would have purchased it when I did at full price, that would be a different story. I won't be carrying around 2 handheld devices just for one to get yardages and the other for scorekeeping.

The problem isn't the 50 courses, it is that when I need it most, on a course I have never played before, I will be SOL.

The irony of saying the 50 courses downloaded is laughable. The thing can't hold more than 10 courses max in pro mode. The other issue is how much would it cost for them to make the images and data still available to customers on a server somewhere. Probably already out there, but would likely be ok.

I'm just glad I got out of my UPro way back and don't have to sweat any of this. IMHO, Callaway has blotched this part of their business from day one. I struggled for months after they bought the company, just trying to fix small issues and the one thing that Callaway supposedly excels at is customer service, but could not get a call back or even so much as an email returned. Fix after fix came in the way of download, each one caused more problems.

Callaway might be solid with their core products, but sure didn't do me, the customer, any favors with their expanded markets item's.

While that would be very nice of them, I have no idea why they would do that. The unit will support 25,000 pre-loaded courses, and 50 others once the support stops, which is still a pretty useful device, and considering a lot got them for $50, giving away that much in gift cards seems pretty nuts.

How do you intend to get 50 course in pro mode on it? The most mine carries is 10 or so. As already stated, when needed most, on new courses, I have nothing now.

Back