Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

I didn't get to hit it (stupid lefty!) but I watched quite a few guys hit it and the sound was so so much improved over the XR line. I think Callaway is going to hit a nice segment with this one.

They are really excited about the aerodynamics of this one

Looking forward to hearing more about this after this weekend's testing.

Looking forward to hearing more about these and what the GRANDADDY members thought about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the XR crown almost has turbulators? lol, just kidding but it is interesting that engineering has made such major changes to the top, bottom and back or drivers in the past decade. I personally liked last years look better than this years, but as always it is about performance, not looks.

Definitely think the pro looks better at address, standard is a little busy with the alignment. Looking forward to reading thoughts of THP'ers that have already tried these.

Is it safe to say that this would be considered a higher spin/higher launch head as compared to the GBB?
Agreed, the extra markings on the XR seem quite distracting, not near as much as the subtle marks on the pro. Crowns like this and others I always need to see in person before passing final judgement, something about having it in hand out in the sun at address makes the final judgement, but at first glance it seems a little excessive, but not near as bad as others we've seen previously.

Man you guys are killing it this morning with the preview threads, thank you!

Shafts

Fujikura Evolution II TS 665 -60g

Fujikura Evolution 565 -50g

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black -50g

Bassara -40g

Are they still offering the upgraded line of shafts? Sorry if you answered already.

I'm digging the shape of the pro. That looks really nice.

Great looking club! I'm pretty set with my driver for now, but will definitely give this a few swings to provide some feed back at some point.

Interested to see how these perform. I know the XR worked for a lot of people last year.

With that said, do I need to start a collection for Callaway to resume making woods with glossy finishes? I just cannot get on board with the matte finish.

I got to put swings on this in Cali. I actually like the look, definitely sounds better, but 10 swings isn't enough for me to really put any finite thoughts on it.

Interested to see how these perform. I know the XR worked for a lot of people last year.

With that said, do I need to start a collection for Callaway to resume making woods with glossy finishes? I just cannot get on board with the matte finish.

*high five* I'd like to see something with a glossy finish again.

Can we get a petition started? I know it has absolutely zero effect on performance, but there's something about the matte finish I don't like down by the ball.

Are they still offering the upgraded line of shafts? Sorry if you answered already.

According to the preview yes they are still offering premium shafts with no upcharge

I personally liked the XR better than the GBB last year and thought it was a killer driver. This looks like a nice evolution with some new aerodynamics in play. Would love to take some swings with it.

Really like the mat black of the club. Kind of looks like spray on bedliner on the clubs.

I personally would love it if they had two finish options, matte or gloss. I guess they kinda do with UDesign, but that costs extra.

The fin on the outer edge is very Burner Superfast and Adams Speedline-ish to my eye.

The sole beams on the sole look like the new beams on the Ping G crown.

2016 must be the year of the Beams lol

20 THPers are going to be testing this driver out on FlightScope this weekend and will be putting their thoughts together here.

Me too, and not at the cost of a uDesign

I like the looks of this a lot so I am going to have to find out when it will be available over here and if it will be available to try at a fitting I will be looking to arrange sometime in the next month or so

Back