Cleveland Black Driver Review

Solid stick.. And it's a fairway finder !!! As long or possibly longer than my Bio Cell and I didn't feel like I needed to try to 'kill it'

By far the longest of the stuff I hit today, by a noticeable difference. Everything seemed to be a nice high draw, although a little too much at times.

Seems to spin a lot less than the previous CG Black line, but still is very forgiving

By far the longest of the stuff I hit today, by a noticeable difference. Everything seemed to be a nice high draw, although a little too much at times.

Seems to spin a lot less than the previous CG Black line, but still is very forgiving

Dammit Wardy...

Dammit Wardy...

Telling me dude. I hit the alpha, the 545, my fitted SLDR and it didn't sniff the yardage the black was seeing. I probably should have taken it on the course instead of the slap around fest I did instead

Got a mint 12 degree for sale - $210 shipped......
Yeah u saw that...not really looking to buy at the moment thanks to having a few drivers on hand already

I'm a big fan of it being bonded.

This head baffles me with the feedback we are seeing, in a very good way.

Agreed, I was at Golf Town and they didn't have 1. I left a little disappointed.

It shouldn't make sense. Every swing I'm like man this can't work... Oh for crying out loud it's a high launch and high flight with low spin.

It shouldn't make sense. Every swing I'm like man this can't work... Oh for crying out loud it's a high launch and high flight with low spin.

Screams to me the launch of the vseries, but much lower spin. That is mind bendingly awesome.

Screams to me the launch of the vseries, but much lower spin. That is mind bendingly awesome.

Especially for someone that wants that forgiveness, but doesn't want to be punished yardage wise for it. Freakin Cleveland... Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

A bonded driver. Does Cleveland do this routinely with a portion of their lines, and do other companies do as well? With the fact that most people "set it and forget it" will we see companies move back into bonded drivers for at least a portion of their customers?

Some companies do. One of cobras new drivers is too.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Especially for someone that wants that forgiveness, but doesn't want to be punished yardage wise for it. Freakin Cleveland... Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
Were your results similar for others too? I've been fit twice in X-stiff 80g shafts recently so leery of lighter shafts.

Last edited:
Any more thoughts on this one JB?

For some reason this one is stuck in my head, mainly because it seems like a hellacious sleeper. Launch of the V-Series I adore but significantly lower spin? Why would I not be intrigued?

Any more thoughts on this one JB?

For some reason this one is stuck in my head, mainly because it seems like a hellacious sleeper. Launch of the V-Series I adore but significantly lower spin? Why would I not be intrigued?

I have not had a chance to play it recently. Got together with THPers and it was taken out by one of the other golfers. I believe Pudge. Perhaps he will offer some feedback as well.

Yes I took it out in Tampa.. High launcher , easy to control, and long too.. I really can't say anything negative about it.. Was one I was looking forward to hitting and was not disappointed .. GO HIT ONE!!!

Yes I took it out in Tampa.. High launcher , easy to control, and long too.. I really can't say anything negative about it.. Was one I was looking forward to hitting and was not disappointed .. GO HIT ONE!!!

The drives I saw you hit with it on the range were towering monsters.

Nice, thanks for enabling me Pudge! LOL

JB, have you hit it on the monitor next to the Vseries? I can't remember if you had or not, I adore the launch on the V, but a lower spin with that launch...good grief that would be sick.

Looks like I'm gonna get some time with one of these after all thanks to an accord with a friend. Pretty excited to be honest.

this driver sounds really interesting and one I should try to get my hands on lower spin is always good for me

After trying to sell it with no luck, I decided to take it out on the course instead of just range time. The results against my gamer 2012 CG Black have been encouraging. After two rounds I am seeing consistent 7-12 yard distance increase on well struck balls. The trajectory (12 degree) is really not much different between the two. Mid to high for the most part. Forgiveness is good and distance loss is minimal even on less than solid hits. My usual shot is a 5-15 yard draw. I am hitting mostly straight to 5 yard draws with the 2015. For whatever reason I am hitting more off the heel than usual. It is really a nice looking club with the matte black and blue highlights.

Is the 2015 shaft longer? That could definitely cause some heel strikes

Back