Cleveland Black Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write up, very good info. Will be interesting to see how Cleveland does it's marketing an did they can get the general public interested in this line

Nice writeup, Ryan. Sounds like a solid option for those with lower swing speeds. I do wonder if Cleveland sacrificed control for a little extra distance with the 46" shaft.

Nice review. For a driver that is geared towards lower swing speeds it seems to have a very "tour" look at address which is nice. Seems like the driver could do very well for certain players.

Do they have a "Tour" version like a couple years ago? Great review, Hawk!

I swing pretty darn slow. This is interesting, but I too wonder about the shaft length and accuracy. I would definately need to cut it down to something more manageable for me.

JM

I've been aiming to dial back my swing speed a bit in favor of a bit more control, and a lot of the changes in CG placement have me pretty intrigued. Going to have to give this one a hit, I think.

Great review here Ryan. Enjoyed reading about the variable face technology and how it helps with off-center hits.

The higher swing and ball speeds are legit and the nearly 10 yard increase in distance is big...without a doubt.

I've typically shied away from this type of club for fear of launching too high with too much spin since I'm already a high ball hitter but it sounds like with the change in CG placement helping to lower spin then this may be worth trying - especially considering I'm one of those low 90's driver type of guys.

Right up my alley.

I swing slow and will gladly take the extra 10 yards you are seeing. ID probably loft up at 12* and chop a little bit off the length (assuming it wasnt too punishing) but this driver sounds like a winner in my book

Every time I swung someone else's CG Black, I had great success with it, so I don't know why I never ended up with one. The new model seems to be quite promising as well and I'd love to have a go at it. And I LOVE the way the face just transitions into the rest of the head.

Great write up Hawk. With all the buzz from the different OEM's in the driver market, this driver has the potential to be a quiet assissin for many. Targeting slower swing speeds seems like good business. For me personally it doesn't move me aesthetically really.

This could be an interesting driver for us older guys and gals who need a few more horses under the hood.

12 degree available in LH?? Yes please. I need to hit this. I loved the previous version of this. Great job on the review. Love that they lowered the CG also. This sounds like it might be absolutely perfect for me.

Nice write up, very good info. Will be interesting to see how Cleveland does it's marketing an did they can get the general public interested in this line

It's being marketed specifically to lower swing speeds and even more towards seniors and women.

Do they have a "Tour" version like a couple years ago? Great review, Hawk!

Not at this time. Thanks!

Great review Ryan, I played the original Cleveland Black for a little over a year and it was a fantastic driver for my game. I plan to demo this, and the new Cobra and Callaway offerings in January. I have a feeling the Black will be very hard to beat because I fall solidly into the targeted market.

As far as the shaft length and pushes and push fades I remember with the original driver everyone, and I do mean everyone, found that if we choked the driver 1" to 1 1/2" we gained uncanny control over the ball. I would love to see if this helps you Hawk because the original was a fairway finding machine when choked just a little.

It's being marketed specifically to lower swing speeds and even more towards seniors and women.

Thats good to know, Im right on the boarder between the 2

Great review Ryan, I played the original Cleveland Black for a little over a year and it was a fantastic driver for my game. I plan to demo this, and the new Cobra and Callaway offerings in January. I have a feeling the Black will be very hard to beat because I fall solidly into the targeted market.

As far as the shaft length and pushes and push fades I remember with the original driver everyone, and I do mean everyone, found that if we choked the driver 1" to 1 1/2" we gained uncanny control over the ball. I would love to see if this helps you Hawk because the original was a fairway finding machine when choked just a little.

I think I'd just rather cut it for a little more consistency and then I can adjust swing weight. As it stands I'd like to tinker a bit with shafts as well to see if I can really dial it in. It's close, but not quite 100% there for me.

Another excellent review, I really want to give this one a swing on a sim during the winter.

I really like the looks of this driver with the blue accent and blue/black shaft combo. Down right hawt and sessy!

I continue to hit this as good or better than any of the new 2015 drivers. What continues to shock everybody that tests it, is how low spin it is. MWard hit one on the range this morning that still might not have landed as of yet. I played this one on the front 9 and had one that was truly long for me (outdrove Wardy) and a whole lot of thers that showed how good the forgiveness is. Especially high on the face and towards the toe side.

Really impressed with this one, and despite how its being marketed, this head might be a real sleeper this year.

Better than the original?

Totally different drivers.
Far lower spin. Different shape, sound and feel too.

Love me some toe forgiveness

Nice review Ryan! When reading about it and looking over the specs, besides the 46" length, the 60 degree lie angle stuck out to me. Isn't that scary upright for a driver? I thought most drivers were in the 57 - 58 lie angle range.

Love me some toe forgiveness

You will not be disappointed here. They accomplished their goal of being low spin, yet still higher launching and solid forgiveness.

Back