Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

would it be too much if one has M1 to M5 in the bag? LoL

I still love my mashies. Aside from my wedges, they are probably the most consistent club in the bag. I love the ball flight and the shafts.

A quick question (without going back to read the entire thread) -- has anyone changed grips on their Mashie? I find the stock grip just a bit on the thin side though I normally play standard grips. I was wondering how to do that and be consistent with the light weight of the club.

A quick question (without going back to read the entire thread) -- has anyone changed grips on their Mashie? I find the stock grip just a bit on the thin side though I normally play standard grips. I was wondering how to do that and be consistent with the light weight of the club.

I have not. I think I remember somebody putting a Winn-Lite Midsize on it though. I don't think they had any problems.

Any LH interested in a Mashie M3, I will be putting one up for sale tonight when I get home. I hit it literally 2 times. I love my M4 and my 3W and for my game I have no use for the M3.

My M3 is getting one last stand to prove itself this weekend. I re-read tons of tips in this thread to help fix my mashie hook, so hopefully one will stick.

Yes, I had changed the geip on the M3 to the new decade and its nice. I have not yet changed it on the M2 but once I get new irons they will all be changed. You can put any grip you want on it, they make beffier grips.

I wanted to post in here that the Mashie has been struggling lately and I picked up a 3 iron when I bought a set of clubs. I have been carrying both in my bag for the past two weeks and will hit two shots a lot of times trying to decide which one stays in the bag. Right now the 3 iron is winning. I keep getting the hard draws out of the Mashie. Maybe I am trying to force it. Not sure. I will keep you posted with more updates.

I wanted to post in here that the Mashie has been struggling lately and I picked up a 3 iron when I bought a set of clubs. I have been carrying both in my bag for the past two weeks and will hit two shots a lot of times trying to decide which one stays in the bag. Right now the 3 iron is winning. I keep getting the hard draws out of the Mashie. Maybe I am trying to force it. Not sure. I will keep you posted with more updates.

You certainly hit the 3 iron very well last time we played together.

You certainly hit the 3 iron very well last time we played together.

Thanks man. I am going to give it another week or two. The Mashie has been very good to me, but I so go through these left periods every so often.

Thanks man. I am going to give it another week or two. The Mashie has been very good to me, but I so go through these left periods every so often.
For me I find that I get the lefts with hybrids when I transition too quickly from the top to the downswing -- almost invariably get OTP and yank left sometimes I'll throw a bit of excessive hand rotation into the mix for good measure! Set up so the face looks almost open, transition smoothly with full extension and these are a marvel. Of course, struck properly with good swing mechanics and that's true of all the clubs in my bag!

I have and have had no issues with it whatsoever

would it be too much if one has M1 to M5 in the bag? LoL

I have the M2, M3, M4 and M5! Over the past 3 months, I have hit some of the best shots of my life (been playing for 40 years) and these are easy and fun to hit. Coupled with the XL270 driver, I have broke 80 twice in the past 3 weeks and dropped my handicap from 16.2 to 12.7. It may be the Miyazaki shafts but whatever, I am enjoying the ride!

I have the M2, M3, M4 and M5! Over the past 3 months, I have hit some of the best shots of my life (been playing for 40 years) and these are easy and fun to hit. Coupled with the XL270 driver, I have broke 80 twice in the past 3 weeks and dropped my handicap from 16.2 to 12.7. It may be the Miyazaki shafts but whatever, I am enjoying the ride!

Congrats Tucson on those low scores!

I recently decided to pull the 4-iron from my bag and replace it with a hybrid. Then I got a great deal on two Mashies for $85 each. That lead me to pull a 3-hybrid I had in the bag and a 3-wood as well. So I went from 13 clubs to 12. I'm thinking less is more.

Nice Tucsondivots! Great scoring and keep up the solid play. Maybe single digits are in your sights!
Love my Mashies and from what I've read can't wait for the Mashie FW. I hit my Srixon and Cleveland FL 3-Ws pretty good but anything that would help from the deck would be a godsend!

Last edited:
Great stuff Tucson! I love my Mashies! They are great clubs! I can't wait to try out the Mashie FW as well!

I picked up a 23* Mashie with a steel Rifle PX 6.0 shaft in it. I wasn't too sure how the combo would work, theorizing that the Mashie clubhead was designed to go best with its ultra-light shaft offerings.

Well, I'm happy to say... it's a HAMMER. It feels noticeably heavy but I LOVE it. The thing practically swings itself. In my limited use, two extensive range sessions, I find it to be far more accurate than my Adams a4 Boxer. Can't wait to get it on the course.

Hmm I wonder why someone would of swapped out the Miyazaki shaft that was in it? Glad to know it is still such a great club for you. Keep us posted here as you move forward.

I picked up a 23* Mashie with a steel Rifle PX 6.0 shaft in it. I wasn't too sure how the combo would work, theorizing that the Mashie clubhead was designed to go best with its ultra-light shaft offerings.

Well, I'm happy to say... it's a HAMMER. It feels noticeably heavy but I LOVE it. The thing practically swings itself. In my limited use, two extensive range sessions, I find it to be far more accurate than my Adams a4 Boxer. Can't wait to get it on the course.

I would say it is similar to the tour version. I think that one has a 83g shaft in it.

Hmm I wonder why someone would of swapped out the Miyazaki shaft that was in it? Glad to know it is still such a great club for you. Keep us posted here as you move forward.

A buddy of mine picked a pair of these up last weekend. I haven't swung them yet, but I really love the finish on the crown. He's hitting them great and that's saying something since he normally hits a low snaphook with hybrids.

Will do. So impressed with this club through a couple more range sessions that when I'd noticed the same seller on ebay was selling his 20.5* Mashie with the same shaft... I just had to get it. :smile:

I'll at least get to test out the 23* on the course next week a couple of times, looking forward to it.

I got the 23* on the course, finally, and it performed exactly at the range. Nice flight, tight dispersion, great feel. It's in the bag.

I also took delivery of a 20.5* Mashie with the same PX-6.0 steel shaft. I hit it extensively at the range, comparing it to my 19* Exotics CB-1 hybrid with stiff Aldila NV-90 shaft.

I'm very consistent with the Exotics so I was very surprised to find that I was even moreso with the Mashie. According to Trackman, the Exotics is longer on average by 8 yards of carry and 11 yards overall. But I'm sure that's simply due to the 1.5* weaker loft of the Mashie along with the fact that the Exotics is 1/2" longer.

Where the Mashie wins me over is in dispersion, trajectory and direction. Where I'd felt that I can launch the Exotics too low at times, the Mashie consistently offered a slightly higher ball-flight. It's not high by any means but the additional height will help me to hold greens on longer approaches. Dispersion was clearly better with the Mashie. Although I hit the Exotics very well, the Mashie was ridiculously tight as most shots went straight down the line.

As with the 23*, I absolutely LOVE the hefty feel of this club with the steel PX-6.0. Ultra-stable and powerful through impact with solid feel and satisfyingly solid sound at impact (one in the same to most, I know). Where the Exotics may sound tinny at times, the Mashies offer a solid, "thwack!"

I view the loss of distance as neligible but the tighter dispersion has really caught my attention. I'll test it a bit more, but it looks to be the favorite for starting status.

Have to hurry with my club testing (driver and 4W are also subject to change) as I leave for a golf trip to Myrtle Beach on Sunday! :smile-big:

Just joined the Mashie "Mob"

Just joined the Mashie "Mob"

I've been considering replacing my aged TM rescue 4 with a newer hybrid. I've also been thinking that if I could find the right club, I would replace my 5 iron (which I don't hit very consistently or much farther than my 6 iron, 160 yds.) I have a friend that likes his Mashie and in my search for reviews ran across this thread. I read hundreds of posts and ordered an M4 and an M5 based on the feedback I've seen on this forum. Well, got the first one (M5) in last evening and couldn't wait to get to the range and hit some balls. Right off the bat, incredible! Very consistent ball flight, with very tight dispersion. Great feel. Hard to see yardage under the lights, but every shot seemed to fly around 170-175 which is what I was looking for. This club just inspires confidence. Found an M3 on eBay and have ordered that to replace my 5 wood. Thanks to all of you who have invested so much time posting your results here.

Im bringing the Mashie M3 back off the bench to fight the right side of the course. One thing the Mashie does is help fight the slice.

Back