Club Champion Discount Season

Deleted my previous response and talked to club champion. He checked the head that I was hitting and it was actually only 2 deg different than mine so in reality that's about a 6 yard difference. Still we are talking 15 yards gained so all it good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted my previous response and talked to club champion. He checked the head that I was hitting and it was actually only 2 deg different than mine so in reality that's about a 6 yard difference. Still we are talking 15 yards gained so all it good.

That's crazy though that just by changing head you gain that much yardage and more importantly better spin numbers

That's crazy though that just by changing head you gain that much yardage and more importantly better spin numbers

It was a combo of heads and shaft. The shaft lowered the spin even on my head but then the head made it the total package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a combo of heads and shaft. The shaft lowered the spin even on my head but then the head made it the total package.

You're fitter wasn't worried about your ability to hold greens with the drop in spin on irons? 6k is about perfect if the the landing angle is good.

You're fitter wasn't worried about your ability to hold greens with the drop in spin on irons? 6k is about perfect if the the landing angle is good.

We had a lot of discussion about that. I actually have more of an issue backing up my ball previously so we were trying to drop launch angle and spin.

I am going to do a proper writeup at a later time (soon) but let me just drop this in here....

34 yard gain on my gamer 6i. I was effing shocked.

I am going to do a proper writeup at a later time (soon) but let me just drop this in here....

34 yard gain on my gamer 6i. I was effing shocked.
That's an interesting tease...

They just opened one of these in Denver and are running half off through march. I've never been fit for anything before so I think it could be a good experience.

They just opened one of these in Denver and are running half off through march. I've never been fit for anything before so I think it could be a good experience.

I just saw this too...hmmm.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

After getting a baseline with my 6i, I hit the Srixon head first and we went through shafts. The Nippon Modus Tour 120 Extra stiff performed the best and it wasn't even close. Then we tried a few heads - my head with the Nippon shaft, then back to the Srixon and we thought this was the winner. Then we switched to the JPX 900 and I was 7 yards longer with it and tighter dispersion. Finally we tried the PXG head and while it felt great, it was significantly shorter. The freaking JPX 900 Head with the Nippon Modus Tour 120 shafts performed like I've never seen before.

After the iron fittings, we played around with Hybrids but I hit my 23 Deg Apex Pro hybrid so well, that there was nothing even close. The closet was the 3i steelhead. But since my 26 deg Hybrid now overlaps my 5i distance, we are removing that from the bag and I'm going to put my 20 Deg Apex Pro Hybrid back in. So, there was no need to purchase any new hybrids.

We also kept my MD3 and PM Grind Wedge heads but just switched the shafts out to Nippon Modus Tour 120s also to stay consistent through the set. The wedge heads themselves were fine.

In addition, all irons and wedges will be built to D7 swing weight.

We skipped the FW for now and the Driver as I'm getting excellent numbers as is and we really want to wait for the LH Epic Heads to arrive.

Finally, we went to the putter and used the SAM and it was eye opening. I come back straight back but bring it inside and have clubface slightly open. First, we fixed part of my swing - what looked like straight up and down to me was actually me pressing the putter backwards. We fixed that and then based on SAM data, my stroke fit a 1/4 toe hang putter and the lie needed to be adjusted 1 deg up and the loft 0.5 deg down. There was a Bettinardi BB1 that totally caught my eye and fit me perfectly. It was the most confident I've felt with a putter.

Now, here comes the $1,000,000 question -- How Much?

I paid $2,496.47. I know, I know. It sounds outrageous. But here is how it breaks down:
  • JPX-900 Forged Irons 5-PW - $899.94
  • Iron Shafts - Nippon Modus Tour 120 Extra Stiff -9 shafts total - $585
  • Lamkin UTx BLue Midsized - 9 total - $117
  • Puring - 9 shafts - $270
  • Bettinardi BB1 Putter - $299.99
  • Full Bag Fitting - $175
  • Tax - $149.54

Honestly the only place that I thought the cost was excessive was the shaft cost - $65/shaft when I can get it for $35/shaft and the puring. But, in the grand scheme of things, It's not a major deal because they are built exactly to my specifications. I look at it as if I just went to the tour van to get a set made to the highest tolerance.

Was I glad I did it? Heck yea. First, my lie angle is standard, not +2 on the irons - I've suspected that I was too up right. Second, I already hit it long, but I've essentially increased my distance by 2 clubs - more 9i and PW into the green, the better I have for birdies. Also, many Par 5's that I play are now reachable with a 5i instead of a hybrid. Finally, having a putter fit to me for once instead of me trying to fit my stroke to the putter will definitely shave strokes off.

Now I cannot wait for the Epic heads to come in so I can drop another Grand on a driver and fairway wood.
View attachment 26450

See I told you in the STL thread that its a good time. Now that youre like 5 clubs longer than me isnt real cool though:act-up:

One concern I have right now is whether I will have a gap at the top of bag between my PW and 50 - 5 deg instead of 4 now. Before my PW went 145 and my 50 about 133. I really don't want a 15+ yard gap again.

One concern I have right now is whether I will have a gap at the top of bag between my PW and 50 - 5 deg instead of 4 now. Before my PW went 145 and my 50 about 133. I really don't want a 15+ yard gap again.

I've had that issue before and bent my gap wedge 1* strong. Helped with my gapping vs 3/4 & 1/2 swings

Had a very nice fitting with Bobby at the Plano, TX location. Dialed in the irons and wedges. There has been no pressure or hard sell to buy. Fitting on 28th for hybrids, FW, and confirming whether the driver is still a good fit. Will write down my thoughts in a longer piece.

I had my bag fitting yesterday. Found out that in my old age I need to move away from a regular flex into a mature or A flex in irons as well as woods. I ended up ordering a set of Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 6 - AW (with Project X LZ 50 shafts) with a sand and lob wedge. I will have to get different shafts for my Heavenwood, 5 wood and driver, but that will have to wait a bit to do. I really had no intention of getting irons, but at the end of the day I felt like I would see better results replacing the irons first. Lee at the Atlanta location was awesome to work with and I will be going back win the need arises.

So, I walk into Club Champion Saturday morning thinking I really just need to look at Driver and check out my wedges and putter.
It's kind of a perfect example of why fitting is important, because I was like a perfect 180 degrees off in what I really needed.

The process started with a 9i warm-up and doing some preliminary checks and explaining the numbers we'd see on the screen after each shot. Once I was ready to go, he told me to grab my gamer 6i (z545 - Nippon 950GH Stiff). I took a lot of swings with this one because he wanted to get a solid average to go off of with a decent sample size. I thought I was hitting it pretty well, had I not looked at the screen about 5 swings in, but I was kind of wrong. It turns out I was hitting good, straight balls, but nowhere even close to optimal. It turns out my average smash factor was a measly 1.18 and the best ball of the bunch only came in at 1.27. Needless to say, I wasn't stoked about that, or was I....because I just shot an 80 with those things.

We went through a ton of shafts first to find the engine that fit me best. We went through KBS Tour 90s, XP 95s, Nippon 850s, a DG model, and a few of those in both R and S flex. What we settled on, though, was the Nippon 950GH in Regular. I hit a bunch of balls with this one (with a 565 head) and it felt great. The smash factor moved up, but not above 1.30, so it was time to work the heads out.

Since basically the clone of my 545s wasn't working out as expected, we moved away from that one.

The CF 16 Apex on the 950-R was breathtaking, really. My first shot was 'optimal' in his words. In fact, the numbers were very close to my final decision. More on that below.
The AP1 head was not a favorite of mine. I didn't like the feel, nor the look, honestly, and the numbers were average.
Speaking of looks, he grabbed an XR-OS because he wanted to see what offset and basically max forgiveness did for me. I hated it. Numbers were good, but not better than the CF 16 Apex!!
Next was JPX900. Again, very good and solid numbers. These and the Apex were getting me in the 1.33-1.35 smash neighborhood. But I liked the heavier feel of the Apex.
"You like that heavy swing weight, huh?", I heard. So he jumps up and grabs something I never ever would have considered, the Srixon z355. I have to say, from up top, that is not a bad looking iron head. If you looked at the sole first, you'd never think the top could appear that thin.

View attachment 26524

I really liked it, and so did my swing. The first ball I hit was just, as anyone has ever been on the range with me at a THP event has heard, comment-worthy. I think before the ball hit the screen in the booth, I was all "Holy Crap!!". And my intuition and feel was correct because the very first shot 111.6 ball speed and 1.37 smash factor. The ball speed was freaking 16mph faster!! I almost had to change shorts.

So, there we were, hitting ball after ball with the z355, just not believing what I was seeing on the screen. The numbers are below, along with my gamer numbers.
After hitting two off the lie board and seeing that I was too upright, he figured I'd see even more improvement going about 1.5 flat with MCC +4 grips. My average miss with this setup was only 7.7ft left, so going a tad flat will put me in laser mode. Now, for swingweight, we had much discussion. He went back to my 54° wedge swing numbers (we decided already my wedges were good) and asked if I like the feel of the heavier club. I had told him, and Just_Hacking chimed in, that my wedge game was pretty solid and I'm generally very close to the number and online with those. He said he wanted to build me out at a D5 SW from 4-8 and D6 from 9-Gap. OK, sure, you're the Master Fitter and all that. Besides, he told me if it didn't work out, we could change it quite easily (and for free).

Yea, that means I made the purchase. Dumb? Probably. The pool liner will have to wait another year (it might give out this summer, though!).
Excited as all hell to get these in hand and on the course? Hell yeah! My last couple rounds were like 80 and 84 I think, and my gamers were apparently nowhere close to what I needed. Here are the tables. By the way, the Apexes were very, very close, but more cost prohibitive, of course.

So you can see, with virtually identical swing speeds, I was WAY off on my gamers.
gamerchart.JPG
z355chart.JPG

As for Driver, FWs and Wedges, there wasn't enough of a performance gain to warrant looking at moving. I didn't really have a good 'woods' swing for some reason, though.

I will add a picture of my SAM putter fitting later. I really enjoyed that.

So, I went in looking for woods, and walked out with irons. I foresee some 70s and PB in my future if this pans out.

EDIT TO ADD: FWIW, IF I had moved to a new driver, we had it narrowed down to a M2 with Fujikura Pro 53R.

Last edited:
Nice writeup. It's amazing what a good fitting will do. I would never have considered the Nippon shafts myself if I didn't see the results with my own eyes.

So, I walk into Club Champion Saturday morning thinking I really just need to look at Driver and check out my wedges and putter.
It's kind of a perfect example of why fitting is important, because I was like a perfect 180 degrees off in what I really needed....

This is my biggest fear about going there; That I find my equipment isn't a great setup for me. If I were to see those kinds of improvements from a fitting, the AMEX would be on the counter and I would be WAY down the rabbit hole....

Congrats on a the new gear. Please follow up on your iron fitting once you get them out on the course!

I'm going for a full bag fitting this Friday morning. I'm going because I'm leaving some distance on the table with the driver and no one else has very many shaft offerings suitable for me/my swing. I have a pretty good idea of what works for me as I've been through several fittings, but the last full bag fitting with Trackman or similar was in 2014. So with the cheap price I wanted to do everything just to see if there is something significantly better for me.

My Saturday fitting!

My Saturday fitting!

Little about me. Im 42 and started golfing a lot about 8 years ago, but never played in high school or college. I started playing with a buddy for fun and he really liked it. Course I got my butt kicked. They would shoot 80s and be over 100. Got some lessons and spend way to much time on here and the other site. Got fit last year and just got another fitting. Now I usually shoot in the 70s but don't play from the tips. First night out in league with last year's fitting I shot -1. I'm a sucker for ping so I sold my z545 for g But anyway, on to the fitting.

Hopefully I can post my numbers. I had a full bag fitting last Saturday and it was great. I didn't quite make it through the whole bag. I don't think I got to hit the sz driver or hybrids. Course my driver and hybrids are pretty solid now. I might get more time later.

Lief fit me and he was great. He actually let's me hit something I want even if it might not be a good fit theoretical. I could almost go there once a month and try new things.

I was going in looking for soft feel, less offset, something good on my joints(I grip to tightly), something forgiving but accurate. I wish I would have taken more notes.

Hit my g recoils first. They feel great with the recoils. Long irons have been pretty good, but I couldn't hit a green inside 130 yards to save my life. Everything would go left.

I will try and post numbers at the bottom.

I tried the z565 first I believe. That head felt much better then the z545 I had. In the z545 I had xp95 regular. So in the z565 I tried:

Steelfiber i95 regular. I had high hopes for these. They just didn't feel right. Not very smooth, kind of boardy. If I recall light and dispersion weren't to bad.

Oban 115 steel. I really was looking forward to these. I love my oban hashimoto in the driver. I dont know if it was the weight difference but these didn't work for me at all.
Mitsubishi oti 85: wow these felt great. The club just felt so easy to swing. The balance was great. Dispersion, spin and flight seemed good also. I could game these and the z565.

So then we tried different heads. 765 didn't work at all but I was debating do a combo set before we started. I hit the pxg which the balance just didn't feel right. Also the new ping i200. This was the one I was secretly wanting to win. I felt good and I like the looks a lot. It was a little behind on distance but I know the lofts are a couple degrees off in the standard head. The I tried the jpx 900 forged man that felt good. Distance was better then the z565. Then hit the jpx hm. Wow. That felt great and we're real easy to hit long and straight. It only took a few hits to know those were really good. I also hit the epon 503. Wow they felt amazing. They felt the best of the irons I hit. They were just behind the jpx for distance and dispersion. I would still love to game a set.

After a lot of talk, discussion, and driving my fitter nuts I decide on jpx 900 hm 5/6, 900 forged 7-gw with theach oti.

A quick wedge summary. Hit the muira 1957 k grind. Wow these felt great. Distance and control were good. Next I wanted to try the rtx because of all the great reviews. Felt good but I tended to hit them fat more often then the muira. Was using the mg grind. I didn't get along with the cally at all. Then tried the new Mizuno t7. Those felt great. I could easily game them and have all mizuno irons/wedges. But when he said mizuno and muira were the same price. Muira baby.

Next we moved to the fairways as I don't have a 3 wood right now and have my g sf tec 5 wood. It's a solid club but not a distance king. I new i wanted to try the epics and f7, and m2. Really think the f7 might be good on the course but a mat was wondering. Struggled with it. Balance just seemed off. M2 was just ok. I really liked the epics. Hit a lot of shafts in the standard. The sz seemed to spin more for me then the standard did with seemed odd Id like to hit both of these out on the course. The hzrdus red in the std was really accurate. I couldn't quite stomach the $360 upcharge for the shaft. Maybe 100-150. For 360 I could almost get a new 5wd and 4 hybrid. Haha I'm still not sure what to do about the 3 wood. Might go standard epic with a diamana red as suggested. Sorry for rambling. Man a fitting is fun. Everyone should try it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170127-105032.png
    Screenshot_20170127-105032.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
Clubs came in today.
e988fc9e8b7e3d8895cf5e8aa362ccd5.jpg

adecc130ee6cdd8216619c83358dcfaa.jpg

a37e63aa21ac93feb5db0d6dbd44fecb.jpg

1e68de66ead495a090b3518db2a4dff5.jpg

9c2049f75aebb18e0698938c9bbcbd81.jpg

Awesome. But they are facing the wrong way. Send them back. Haha ordered mine today. How long it takes you to get them?

Awesome. But they are facing the wrong way. Send them back. Haha ordered mine today. How long it takes you to get them?

It was quoted as 14 days due to the number of sets they had to build in Chicago, but it actually only took 8 days. No complaints there!

Nice sticks, It will be cool to hear your thoughts on the Pured shafts if you can tell any difference.

It was quoted as 14 days due to the number of sets they had to build in Chicago, but it actually only took 8 days. No complaints there!

We can't really play anyway. No hurry. I still have to figure out the 3wd.

For those that were fit for Mizuno clubs, how long did it take for them to come in from the date of your fitting?

Back