Cobra FLY-Z+ Driver Preview

Haven't bagged a driver a 2 years went to GG yesterday spent 2.5 hours hitting every driver for 2015 and walked away with the Z+ with the stock stiff shaft spin was around 2500 rpm with the weight forward carry distance of 250 with total average distance of 265. Needless to say I went home with it as it gave me the tightest dispersion of all the drivers I hit. I saw that they are offering free shaft upgrades with this club and I wanted to get see if anyone else has hit this club with alternate shafts besides the stock Matrix VLCT ST Graphite?

I like everything about this driver, I'm very glad I added it to the bag. I'm happy with the setup and can't imagine I could make it any better. I will be picking up a couple tips to test other shafts.

Thanks Tadashi I know with + they are some free shaft upgrades

Cobra FLY-Z+ Driver Preview

Haven't bagged a driver a 2 years went to GG yesterday spent 2.5 hours hitting every driver for 2015 and walked away with the Z+ with the stock stiff shaft spin was around 2500 rpm with the weight forward carry distance of 250 with total average distance of 265. Needless to say I went home with it as it gave me the tightest dispersion of all the drivers I hit. I saw that they are offering free shaft upgrades with this club and I wanted to get see if anyone else has hit this club with alternate shafts besides the stock Matrix VLCT ST Graphite?

This is high on my list as well.

But don't you mean you hit al lot of not "every driver"of the 2015? Since several of the ones getting raves Wilson D200, Srixon 545 and Bridgestone 815 (and 715) aren't available yet in GG.

Not trying to be "that guy" but would be curious as to which ones you compared it to.

Thanks

This is high on my list as well.

But don't you mean you hit al lot of not "every driver"of the 2015? Since several of the ones getting raves Wilson D200, Srixon 545 and Bridgestone 815 (and 715) aren't available yet in GG.

Not trying to be "that guy" but would be curious as to which ones you compared it to.

Thanks
You are correct I should have clarified. I hit all 3 vapor drivers, G30 regular and LS models, 915 D3, BB 815, XR, and Mizzy 850. The vapor flex felt good but I didn't get that lively feeling off the face when hit well as opposed to the Z+. I couldn't get passed the sound on the 915. The G30 was a very close 2nd however I just wished it had movable cg like the Z+. Tbh I'm still thinking of the G30 as I type this.

You are correct I should have clarified. I hit all 3 vapor drivers, G30 regular and LS models, 915 D3, BB 815, XR, and Mizzy 850. The vapor flex felt good but I didn't get that lively feeling off the face when hit well as opposed to the Z+. I couldn't get passed the sound on the 915. The G30 was a very close 2nd however I just wished it had movable cg like the Z+. Tbh I'm still thinking of the G30 as I type this.

That is a pretty good list. I know a couple guys who have gone with the G30 this year and been very pleased.

But as I said above the Z+ is definitely on my to try list. So many great drivers out this year.

That is a pretty good list. I know a couple guys who have gone with the G30 this year and been very pleased.

But as I said above the Z+ is definitely on my to try list. So many great drivers out this year.

that is a good mix of new drivers. i am a fan of alpha 815, bstone J715/815, G30(want to try the ls), vapor pro. the z and z+ are on my want to hit list. still want to work with the 545.

a fun year for driver fans. i could end up with two purchases this year.

that is a good mix of new drivers. i am a fan of alpha 815, bstone J715/815, G30(want to try the ls), vapor pro. the z and z+ are on my want to hit list. still want to work with the 545.

a fun year for driver fans. i could end up with two purchases this year.
Update I went back to GG and ordered a custom setup with matching white Z+ driver and fairway woods with the Aldila ATX Tour Green 65 stiff flex and Fly Z white grip. I will post pics once received.

Update I went back to GG and ordered a custom setup with matching white Z+ driver and fairway woods with the Aldila ATX Tour Green 65 stiff flex and Fly Z white grip. I will post pics once received.

Nice combo.

I think what I like most about this driver is the output I get from easy swings and hard swings. Easy seem to respond like any driver on the market. The loft of the clubs takes over and the ball responds to the swing. Nice and safe.

When I want to really hit, the extra speed seems activate the face. The ball "jumps" off the face and you're just left with 'nice drive!'. Enjoying this Cobra as much as I enjoyed my previous gamer.

Hot this again today and still impressed...want to get a different flex in it to see what happens. Really liking the spin numbers.

After hitting a bunch of the new drivers from Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Cobra, and Bridgestone this week I just bought a Fly Z+ today. I love the XR as well and being such a collector of drivers I'm very likely to wind up with a XR or XR Pro this spring as well, but for me the Fly Z+ is just so automatic I couldn't resist. For whatever reason this driver is very easy for me to hit center face almost every time. :act-up:

After hitting a bunch of the new drivers from Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Cobra, and Bridgestone this week I just bought a Fly Z+ today. I love the XR as well and being such a collector of drivers I'm very likely to wind up with a XR or XR Pro this spring as well, but for me the Fly Z+ is just so automatic I couldn't resist. For whatever reason this driver is very easy for me to hit center face almost every time. :act-up:

That's the exact same findings I found, I could not miss the center and was getting a baby draw, 140-145 ball speed, 250+ carry & 260+ total, when with my R11 I get a little less ball speed 135-140, 240+ carry 250+ total and baby fade and this was after testing the Fly-Z+ the last two weeks, I'm really close to pulling the trigger but I have alot of time as we won't sniff golfing in Ohio for at least another month or so....

I gave up on the bridgstone J715 after nine holes. Hated it... Now I got 3 cobra drivers to test... Bio Cell Pro. bio Cell + and fly Z +... The adaptors are awesome easy to understand for an idiot like me. The weight system on the fly z actually looks like it will do something as opposed to the 715 which was completly worthless. So far only the bio cell pro has been out on the course for me, and I was awestruck at the roll out I was getting, The adaptor changed the ball flight significantly. Next up the fly z +... I cant wait. IT looks awesome and the stock shaft will probably fit me better than the red tie...I am completly impressed so far with these Cobra drivers...

I hit this again on the range today and I'm absolutely killing it. My only concern now is the one I ordered is with the Matrix VLCT ST in a stiff and I may have to order an X flex. Cobra is really on to something with this driver.

I went up to GS for the first time to see the new 2015 stuff and I forgot to have them tape up the Fly Z + . Seeing you guy talk good stuff about this is making me jones for one. I have a BC+ but it may need to go for the FLY Z +. The good thing is that I have time as GoldenBear67 says, its good month away from golf season here in the Cleveland area

I gave up on the bridgstone J715 after nine holes. Hated it... Now I got 3 cobra drivers to test... Bio Cell Pro. bio Cell + and fly Z +... The adaptors are awesome easy to understand for an idiot like me. The weight system on the fly z actually looks like it will do something as opposed to the 715 which was completly worthless. So far only the bio cell pro has been out on the course for me, and I was awestruck at the roll out I was getting, The adaptor changed the ball flight significantly. Next up the fly z +... I cant wait. IT looks awesome and the stock shaft will probably fit me better than the red tie...I am completly impressed so far with these Cobra drivers...

Make sure you keep the adapters straight switching between the heads. The bio + adapter is going to play different than what it says in the pro head. I don't know of the conversions for the z + yet, but I would guess they are the same as the bio +. Please verify for yourself as there are charts out there, but if I recall, 9.5D in the bio plus will play 8.5 standard in the pro, and the regular settings in the plus will play as the open settings in the pro. 1 degree less in the pro than the plus if using the plus sleeve. Reverse it if you have a pro adapter in the +. I think I'm right but please verify. Just don't want you to run into any issues if you weren't aware of the differences.

Make sure you keep the adapters straight switching between the heads. The bio + adapter is going to play different than what it says in the pro head. I don't know of the conversions for the z + yet, but I would guess they are the same as the bio +. Please verify for yourself as there are charts out there, but if I recall, 9.5D in the bio plus will play 8.5 standard in the pro, and the regular settings in the plus will play as the open settings in the pro. 1 degree less in the pro than the plus if using the plus sleeve. Reverse it if you have a pro adapter in the +. I think I'm right but please verify. Just don't want you to run into any issues if you weren't aware of the differences.

Yep got a conversion chart, but no fly z info on it... the adaptors between all three of these drivers are different... a minor problem...

Its March!
Verdant Green pre-ordering starts in 2 weeks.
IMO, the best color combo with the yellow accent.

Yep got a conversion chart, but no fly z info on it... the adaptors between all three of these drivers are different... a minor problem...

As an owner of a couple Bio Cell + heads, a Pro head, and recently a Fly-Z + head I was concerned about exactly what number converted to which exact degree setting from one head to the other. In the end, getting out on the range or launch monitor and tinkering to find the best numbers, regardless of what the sleeve was telling me, is how I ended up going about it.

To your earlier point about being impressed with the Pro head, I still feel the same way. However, the ability to move weight, and even add/remove weight with different gram flip weights is something I am seeing a real positive with in the Fly-Z +. Currently playing it with a 19g weight (15g stock) in the forward position with a prototype Fujikura Precursor Shiro shaft and am seeing some great things in the numbers.

I'm going out the range and hopefully play at least nine holes with my new Fly Z+ that just showed up yesterday so I will report back later today. Love the looks of this driver in black.

I just got back from GG and hit several drivers. Cally XR, dbl black diamond, & Fly Z -> all were good.
Then came the Fly Z +..... it is absolutely amazing. I hit on average 245 yds on the fly (includes all bad swings) and I hit 108+mph SS in the stock X flex shaft on 4 straight swings. I never hit a X-flex shaft before. I actually was thinking of moving to R flex from S in the stock shaft. Not anymore. Time to trade in the BC+ & BB (2014).

There has been concerns written about the sound, but I found nothing bad about the sound of this.
This issue reminds me of what happened last year to our favorite big mouth (I like him) Youtube reviewer:
-> He hit a Cobra and it sounded awful. Cobra sent him a new one and it sounded great. Maybe the bad sounding FZ+ are just a bad make like what MC went through last year.

What type of launch and spin numbers were you seeing? What about ball speed?

What type of launch and spin numbers were you seeing? What about ball speed?

I was in the low 2's (2000-2200) launching in the mid teens. Sorry, I don't remember all the numbers. I got too giddy & stopped reading the numbers
I know that in the XR @ 10.5, Stiff flex, that I never got below 3000 RPM and was seeing 4000.s I couldn't find the wrench to adjust it.
My current BB is about 2500 and 14 (ish) launch.

This driver in the right hands is amazing to see. I let my buddy Rodney hit it on Sunday and we just laughed at a few of the drives he hit. This thing is long.

Back