Cobra KING F6 Driver - THP Review Thread

For the last 5 weeks or so I had my wife telling me how much straighter, easier and further the F6 is over her Adams XTD. We've played two rounds since I got home and I have never seen her this straight off the tee. She's always been pretty long on her good strikes that hit the fairways, but her mishits have been pretty penalising.

She has the stock Matrix shaft in it, set at 11.5 degrees and the weight in the back position. The ball flight is high and just gets out there, she is quite comfortably getting around 210 including roll. Her mis hits are shorter but not as short as her previous driver and straighter. There were far less missed fairways over the last two rounds. She now has the problem of bringing fairway bunkers into play, whereas before she'd be short of them now there are a few holes that are right on her carry distance.

Took a single swing with my buddy's F6 on the course this weekend. He had the Weight forward and the loft down to 9.5, so I aimed left just in case since there was water down the right side. Actually pulled it just a touch but ripped it pretty well down the left side. If I had kept it in the fairway, it would have been close to the distance I saw with my XR16, if not a touch further. Great offering this year from Cobra.

For the last three rounds I've had my personal best drive on at least one hole at my home course with the F6. Considering i'm now 53 years old that sentence has a little more meaning than if I was 30...

For the last three rounds I've had my personal best drive on at least one hole at my home course with the F6. Considering i'm now 53 years old that sentence has a little more meaning than if I was 30...

Awesome Platoon!

Still one of my favorites of the years releases, its a large look at address, but the performance is there in spades. IMO, more should look at it, far too many assume its a high spin head, and it MOST DEFINITELY is not!

Still one of my favorites of the years releases, its a large look at address, but the performance is there in spades. IMO, more should look at it, far too many assume its a high spin head, and it MOST DEFINITELY is not!

I wanted to refresh some comments on the F6 driver now that I've had it in play for almost three months. I quoted Jman's post because he nailed it in one sentence.

The head is large at address. But it's not ugly-large, it's comfortingly-large. There's enough mass that I'm confident hitting it knowing that I'll get a good piece of the ball even when my swing is off a little. And when I do hit center face, there's a really nice spring effect and the ball just rockets down the fairway. Sure, I could game something a bit smaller, but this one looks really good at address to me.

Adjustability - REALLY liking the my-fly technology here along with the movable weights. Easy to adjust and you get a bunch of options without it being overly complicated. I've settled in on a 10.5 degree setting with weight in the "penetrating" setting. This gives a medium ball flight with great forgiveness. Putting the weight in the back position is supposed to offer greater forgiveness. That may be true, but what I found was higher/shorter drives without improving the directional accuracy. So back to "Penetrating" for me. When I went down to 9.5 degrees, I was getting about ten more yards of distance but I didn't feel as confident/comfortable standing over the ball. Switching to the 9.5-draw position helps this, and keeps me more in the fairway. I normally play tees that put me at 6000-6250 length, and the 10.5 degree setting is plenty long and gives me more confidence. If I'm playing above 6250, I'd most likely switch to the 9.5D setting and be really happy. For perspective, I'm 57 years old, driver swing speed is 90mph (+/-) and I'm playing the regular flex UST Mamiya Elements Chrome shaft.

Performance - I'm really happy with this driver. Yes, I can still slice a drive OB, but it has to be a really poor swing. This is as much of a "point and shoot" driver as I've ever played. My last driver was an older Cobra "pro" version and when I was on, I was really on, but when I was off I sprayed balls everywhere - left right and short. With the Corbra F6, I can be a little off and the results are still good. Yesterday I played by myself and was the first one out on the course - so I had some time to play around a bit. The driver really likes to go straight the best, but I could create a small draw easily. More importantly, I could create a controlled fade as well. That was harder and I had to come across the ball a bit more than I thought - but the result was a nice fade to the left (I'm a lefty) on the holes where I tried that. It's good to have some vesatility when you're on the tee box, and this driver gives me a nice combination of straight when I need it to be right down the middle, and enough workability that I can put a swing move on and get the ball working left or right. I'm a 16 handicap, so I did double cross myself once, but hey, garbage in, garbage out.

What I have noticed over the last few months is that on my normal courses, and normal tee boxes, is that I'm further down the fairway than I've ever been before. There's a lake on a Par 5 that I considered to be totally out of play from the tee, so I never worried about it. Last time I played there my ball was in the junk about five feet from being wet. That was 25 yards farther than I've ever hit my drive on that hole. On the 9th hole at a local course, a Par 5, I hit two tee balls. The first was excellent and shot straight and far over a rise where I couldn't see the landing area. But I know the shot was perfect. The second tee ball didn't go so well. I knew I mishit it and the ball did a mini-duck and went down and to the right. My perfect drive did have a bit of help with the terrain, but I marked it with my gps and that drive traveled 297 yards. My second drive, the one that I wasn't so pleased with, traveled 256. This driver is long and reliable and it's making my game off the tee much more fun, and my second shots easier.

Really good and detailed thoughts radrob. I agree about the shaping make it look large.

Great thoughts Radrob. Thanks for sharing! It's nice when a club works out well for you, and it seems like this one is working well for you.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Thanks Rob! I don't know if I can part ways with my ZL Encore but the F6 really has me pondering and 3 month review only intrigues me more.

I hit the ZL Encore at a demo day a few years ago. I liked it better than TM, Cleveland and Callawsy at the time. I think if you want something new that there's a bunch of Cobra offerings that fit a wide variety of needs and skill levels. But what you're using is a great option as well.

Thanks Rob! I don't know if I can part ways with my ZL Encore but the F6 really has me pondering and 3 month review only intrigues me more.

I rocked the ZL Encore for four years and swore I would never give it up. That driver really helped my game because it seemed like I wasn't nearly as penalized with semi bad swings. It was the most forgiving driver (Not Longest) I ever tried. The weight on the heel promoted my first consistent draw which amplified my roll tremendously. I tried almost all of the new drivers and none of them could ever knock my beloved ZL Encore out of the bag. That was until I tried the F6! The F6 is a forgiving driver but gives maximum distance. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after giving it a go...

PS The ZL Encore sits in my spare bedroom because I just can't send it to the garage to die a slow death. It was too good to me to ever tuck in a corner.

I ordered the F6+ this week and I was sent the F6+pro by mistake. Is it worth sending it back to get the regular F6+ or should I just try the pro? I would have the F6+ set at 9* or either 9.5*D. I am more concerned about not having the draw setting although in the past I have not noticed much difference on previous clubs when using the draw setting. I do know that I don't need any help going to the right!!

So I've hit 260+ a few times with the F6. Part club, part retooled swing thanks to lessons, part course conditions. I currently have the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65 installed, but wondering how it'd feel/perform with the Miyazaki Kusala Silver instead.

I ordered the F6+ this week and I was sent the F6+pro by mistake. Is it worth sending it back to get the regular F6+ or should I just try the pro? I would have the F6+ set at 9* or either 9.5*D. I am more concerned about not having the draw setting although in the past I have not noticed much difference on previous clubs when using the draw setting. I do know that I don't need any help going to the right!!

Did you get squared away with it?

So I've hit 260+ a few times with the F6. Part club, part retooled swing thanks to lessons, part course conditions. I currently have the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65 installed, but wondering how it'd feel/perform with the Miyazaki Kusala Silver instead.

Look at you dropping bombs, that's fantastic!

Look at you dropping bombs, that's fantastic!
Thanks! The driver swing has been a long work in progress. Driving average is slowly creeping upward and most are now at least 220-230. Every so often I manage to do everything just right and the course conditions cooperate and boom ...

Wish it'd happen more often, which is why I'm chasing shafts now I suppose. :p

Thanks! The driver swing has been a long work in progress. Driving average is slowly creeping upward and most are now at least 220-230. Every so often I manage to do everything just right and the course conditions cooperate and boom ...

Wish it'd happen more often, which is why I'm chasing shafts now I suppose. :p

UST elements helium, you'll thank me later, it's a great pairing, you're still low spin low launch right?

It is beastly! Ask MBurnham to try his when you see him.

UST elements helium, you'll thank me later, it's a great pairing, you're still low spin low launch right?

It is beastly! Ask MBurnham to try his when you see him.
Thanks, I'll look into it. For the most part, yeah ... definitely low launch, even with the ProLaunch Blue installed.

I hit the f6 and like it a lot. It's there any reason to get the + over the normal f6 or will I be OK not spending the extra money?

I hit the f6 and like it a lot. It's there any reason to get the + over the normal f6 or will I be OK not spending the extra money?

Not if you're getting along with the F6

The F6 is super solid, in my experience it offers more forgiveness than the + while still keeping the spin down and the launch up. If you are hitting it well, IMO, run with it and don't look back.

Thank you guys I decided to take the plunge while I had a discount I could use over at cobra golf and ordered up my F6. I went with the blue color since I feel that the colors are the best part of cobra/puma.

Thank you guys I decided to take the plunge while I had a discount I could use over at cobra golf and ordered up my F6. I went with the blue color since I feel that the colors are the best part of cobra/puma.

Congratulations on the purchase. The only minor mistake you did was order the blue instead of the turbulence. Everybody know the Turbulence in a confirmed 7 yards longer...

Miyazaki Kusala Silver experiment was a flop. Couldn't keep things under control. Back to the ProLaunch Blue and wont futz with what was obviously working before.

Playing this driver the last 4 rounds. My average drives have gone up a good 10 yards and I am seeing myself in some different spots then usual. As much as I liked the fly z(and I loved that driver) this is a fly z on steroids for me.
I have been playing it with a chrome elements shaft and it is just at awesome combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing this driver the last 4 rounds. My average drives have gone up a good 10 yards and I am seeing myself in some different spots then usual. As much as I liked the fly z(and I loved that driver) this is a fly z on steroids for me.
I have been playing it with a chrome elements shaft and it is just at awesome combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are ready for The Ambition Matchplay with Cobra. :D

Back