Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Hybrids and Fairway Woods

Really happy, so far, with the choice of the 5 wood and 7 wood. Hit 3 greens last round from 180 + yards last round. Two off the tee and one off the fairway.

I hit a couple on the screws with the Tour 3w this weekend and man... It sounds MEAN when you really square up the head.

Just blasting them down the fairway with my HZRDUS green combo.

Which hybrid did you end up getting? I am really torn about grabbing a hybrid or the utility iron if/when it comes out.
Just the normal King Speedzone Hybrid, yellow/black. It's just more controllable for me off the deck and rough as I've mentioned. It's not as long off the tee as my previous hybrid, but the advantages I get otherwise makes it worthwhile and better for me. I suggest giving it a try.

I hit a couple on the screws with the Tour 3w this weekend and man... It sounds MEAN when you really square up the head.

You liking the hulk shaft eh?

I've noticed a tendency for me to draw the 5w while I am fade biased in the driver and 3H. I don't think its the head but rather the shaft weight/swing weight that's making me just a touch bit faster to close. I don't have a swing weight scale here but using some online estimators and finding the balance point, the 5w is a good 6 or 7 SW lighter than my driver and at least 4 than my 3H. I think that is allowing me to rotate/close the face a bit more on a more inside path.

Need more time on range and in a golf shop.......or I nee try to sneak a swing scale purchase by my wife. Not sure which is the harder thing to make happen at the moment.

You liking the hulk shaft eh?
yeah man, it's not bad!

I want to put my beloved HZRDUS yellow back in for a run, but for now I'm enjoying letting the green ride.

If you've read my posts I'm right there with you except I have the Rogue shaft. Going to try a different one as well this week if I am able to get out. I don't find the head to be big or anything just seeing some odd results. Maybe it could be the deeper face too but something isn't working for me for whatever reason.

It could be the deeper face. I have always felt more comfortable with a deeper face fairway wood. I feel like I get some extra room to miss top to bottom.

Do you know where on the clubface you are making contact? Low/high? Off-center?

It could be the deeper face. I have always felt more comfortable with a deeper face fairway wood. I feel like I get some extra room to miss top to bottom.

Do you know where on the clubface you are making contact? Low/high? Off-center?

Last couple I checked were both near the center but I'm guessing a little low and heel side more than toe side since everything seems to be going right as well.

Last couple I checked were both near the center but I'm guessing a little low and heel side more than toe side since everything seems to be going right as well.

That tends to be where my miss is too. Usually happens when I bail on the swing or am worried about missing it left and I don't accelerate through the ball. I moved it into the Draw setting and hit it great my last round. Not sure how much that will help you, but worth a shot.

Good call on the HZRDUS Green. It's a beast.

I had 2 swings with the big tour 3 wood this weekend. The first was off a short tee and was a bullet with a slight draw. The second was off a fairway 287 out (which I cannot reach) and I over - swung and left the face open and pushed it hard up the right but still got good distance

I am determined to figure this club out but man its a struggle for some reason. Only had the opportunity to hit it twice yesterday. The first was a perfect lie in the fairway about 260 out on a par 5 which is go zone typically. I didn’t expect to get home but definitely was a spot I usually have no issue pulling a 3w. The result was a knuckle ball that flared off to the right an hit a tree I looked at the face and it appeared to be close to center contact maybe a little heel side.

The very next hole I lofted it up to 15* (was playing at 14.5*) and hit it off the tee. The result was a straighter flight that seemed to spin up and drop.

I’m so baffled why I can’t seem to figure this club out right now.

I was so excited for the Big Tour 3 wood. I thought it would be the perfect 3 wood for me. Sadly, I never could get it to work consistently and did not even see the ball speeds I was expecting.

So... I am a bit dumbfounded. I tend to do well with lower spin fairway clubs. I tried the Big Tour and it just did not work for me. I kind of thought may the tour 3 wood would be an alternative. However, when our local stores re-opened, I decided to try the standard 3 wood, with the Smoke Yellow, 70 gram shaft.

It is a bomber for me. I had some time on TrackMan today, as we have had a bout our bad weather, and I was seeing balls speeds of low 140s, which is really good for me with 3 wood. Launch and spin are good. It’s going in the bag and very unexpectedly so.

This officially has me at 9 Cobra clubs in my bag. I may be putting the MIM wedges in as well, which would have me at 11.

TrackMan with the SpeedZone 3 wood today:

D6843D05-906F-4ECF-A14D-A214CF71BDB5.jpeg

So... I am a bit dumbfounded. I tend to do well with lower spin fairway clubs. I tried the Big Tour and it just did not work for me. I kind of thought may the tour 3 wood would be an alternative. However, when our local stores re-opened, I decided to try the standard 3 wood, with the Smoke Yellow, 70 gram shaft.

It is a bomber for me. I had some time on TrackMan today, as we have had a bout our bad weather, and I was seeing balls speeds of low 140s, which is really good for me with 3 wood. Launch and spin are good. It’s going in the bag and very unexpectedly so.

This officially has me at 9 Cobra clubs in my bag. I may be putting the MIM wedges in as well, which would have me at 11.

What did you not like about the big tour 3 that you liked with the standard head?

I’m continuing to see good results with the Speedzone 3, 5 and 7. I remain surprised that I am able to hit the 3 wood at 14.5 degrees.

What did you not like about the big tour 3 that you liked with the standard head?

I never got this type of efficiency. It sort of felt dead off the face, where the standard head feels lively. I think that I am even getting better ball speed with the standard head. The smaller head will be easier off the deck, so unless the Big Tour were giving me much better ball speed, I just don't see its advantage. I will have to pull the Big Tour out again and see, but the standard head was about as good as any 3 wood I have ever hit on a launch monitor.

Fairways continue to excel for me. Even with a swing that is not dialed in, I’m hitting the ball great with the 3 5 and 7. Very forgiving and easy to launch. I remain very surprised and very happy with my results with the 14.5 degree 3 Wood off the deck.

Fairways are the the absolute STAR of my entire Cobra bag - paired with the UST shafts - these are stupid good.

Never had a fairway launch high like this before and hold greens like this before - definitely the best FWY offering from Cobra and I’ve had them all going back to Bio Cell

Par 5 yesterday with the 7w

8688C7C0-14E2-4321-83B2-D8D1446B5AB9.jpeg
Need to work through gapping with both clubs might only need one but yesterday they both clicked 7w was glorious tee and deck especially deck

5w was an accurate bomber off the tee

Maybe its possible the lower lofted Big Tour was just not giving me enough spin? Maybe not enough launch? Could explain a few of this issues I've had to date. I've lofted up a degree to 14.5D the last 2 rounds and had some slightly better results, yesterday at the range lofted it all the way up to 15 and saw a MUCH better flight. I even tried switching to the Tensei blue for a few swings to see what I thought and I actually preferred the Rogue shaft feel wise. I can't imagine a .5 degree makes that much difference but I guess is on the shaft adapter for a reason haha

Have a couple rounds on the schedule the next couple days so I should be able to get some feedback on the course.

Fairways are the the absolute STAR of my entire Cobra bag - paired with the UST shafts - these are stupid good.

Never had a fairway launch high like this before and hold greens like this before - definitely the best FWY offering from Cobra and I’ve had them all going back to Bio Cell

View attachment 8946258
Need to work through gapping with both clubs might only need one but yesterday they both clicked 7w was glorious tee and deck especially deck

Alex, I didn't realize you bagged a 7w. My F9 7W is still one of my favorite clubs in the bag. So darn easy to hit off the fairway or off a short tee into long par 3s.

I played 9 this morning in the rain and hit the Tour Big quite well and am feeling very comfortable with it. 3/4 fairways hit. The one I missed I actually could not find the ball--I hit it well and it plugged either in the fairway or just off in the rough. Even though I am playing it 12.5*, it has been easy to launch and forgiving. I hit two today that I was fully expecting to be off target, but they ended up going right down the middle.

I played 9 this morning in the rain and hit the Tour Big quite well and am feeling very comfortable with it. 3/4 fairways hit. The one I missed I actually could not find the ball--I hit it well and it plugged either in the fairway or just off in the rough. Even though I am playing it 12.5*, it has been easy to launch and forgiving. I hit two today that I was fully expecting to be off target, but they ended up going right down the middle.
My big tour fairway is at 13.5 degrees and with the smoke shaft in getting great distance and accuracy off the tee and bullets off the fairway. I believe this will have a permanent place in my bag for quite some time!

View attachment 8946258

I am so thrilled with the 3 5 and 7 with the Helium 5 black shaft. I'm so glad that I went with that combination of loft and shafts. And to be honest, I expected the 14.5 degree 3 wood to be practically useless for me. I thought I may use it infrequently as a club to tee off with. But, I'm rocketing the ball off the deck and out of the rough with the 14.5.

Even with my swing flaws, the performance of the fairway woods off the deck and out of the rough has been excellent. Really looking forward to getting my swing dialed in.

My big tour fairway is at 13.5 degrees and with the smoke shaft in getting great distance and accuracy off the tee and bullets off the fairway. I believe this will have a permanent place in my bag for quite some time!

Love hearing the success stories! I don't know why I've struggled with it so far but not every club works for everyone the same

Had a very enjoyable range session with my 3-Hybrid after swapping the shaft over to a UST Recoil Proto Utility shaft. The 780 Smacwrap was great and I was hitting it a long way but it wasn't giving me quite the face control I wanted. Per a recommendation from Danny, went with teh Proto Utility 95F5 and bingo, hitting so much better. Straighter, more controlled, with a much better ball flight. I want to say longer as well as I don't remember hitting balls into the far fence ( 235 yards away in the corner of hte range I was in ) with the old shaft but no real data to match. Just anecdotal. I am playing a short course tomorrow ( 5600 yards from the mens ) so I am sure to get a lot of chances with this one.

Back