Cobra RADSPEED Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I had a different experience in the fitting today. The rails seemed to bounce the club and was catching a lot of items low. It was to the point where we started trying to get the Big Tour dialed in. Tried several shafts and it just wasn't clicking today.

It might have been predominantly user error as we got the fairways after the irons and driver and to be fair, I was wiped. But when I snuck my gamer 3 wood in, an older Taylormade Burner, I was able to see gains.

The local rep is dropping off a utility iron for me to test those tomorrow or Friday. All the virtual bags I built for the MC was fairway wood heavy. Now, I am not so sure. :unsure:
Did you hit off a mat? I have seen some of that bounce effect with fairway woods off of a mat but then it work great off of grass. The rails are suppose to help it glide through the grass and I could see that maybe it wouldn’t do that well on a mat. Just an idea...

Just one day. Comfort in the longer woods off the deck is a very important thing. Did you see potential with some of the shots?
Very true. It could have been an off day. I’m heading back today or tomorrow when I’ll be fresh. There was one big tour shot that was quite memorable....

Did you hit off a mat? I have seen some of that bounce effect with fairway woods off of a mat but then it work great off of grass. The rails are suppose to help it glide through the grass and I could see that maybe it wouldn’t do that well on a mat. Just an idea...
Appreciate the thought as it was off the mat. There is a range by me that has a strong fitting studio and grass tees. I’ll probably ask to hit whichever one my fitter and I land on after my revisit, just to confirm comfort level.

Went back in today, still a little stiff from the full bag session Wednesday but certainly fresher. Found a little bit of a groove with the Tensei shaft, but for me, the Motore shafts just didn’t really work. It appears I need the smoothness from the Tensei. We also tried a HZRDUS smoke yellow, which is closest we could get to the RDX Blue and that also seemed to work pretty well.
Plan is to find a grass range and demo one of those two setups to evaluate turf interaction.

If not, I may go Big Tour and make my partners cross there fingers I center it during the Cup!

For those pondering all FWs the same length, very easily doable and possible to get the head weights to match too with the adjustable weights. Very underrated idea
What length would you go? I would think maybe 42.5?

Went back in today, still a little stiff from the full bag session Wednesday but certainly fresher. Found a little bit of a groove with the Tensei shaft, but for me, the Motore shafts just didn’t really work. It appears I need the smoothness from the Tensei. We also tried a HZRDUS smoke yellow, which is closest we could get to the RDX Blue and that also seemed to work pretty well.
Plan is to find a grass range and demo one of those two setups to evaluate turf interaction.

If not, I may go Big Tour and make my partners cross there fingers I center it during the Cup!

Hitting the railed FWs off the grass is so much different than hitting them off the tee IMO. Good luck, hope you find something that works!

Using the same shaft in the Big Tour and the FW I found that the Big Tour really popped off the face but was a low bullet. The fairway was tall majestic draws. I took both off the tee as well and was seeing the same thing. I could play the big tour but I think the FW launching higher would be a better suited club for more situations. My fitting was done outdoors on a range so the mat interaction was never a concern for me.

I tried to make everything match my F9 3 wood, which I was a little more experienced with than my 5w. That's 43.5". However, in figuring out all the measurements and getting a bunch of new shafts trimmed, everything ended up at 43.25", splitting the difference between them. I think that's now the stock 3w length anyways.

I also weighed the heads and swapped weights so all of my heads are the same weight (again matching 3w). All shafts tip trimmed for 3w as well. So everything is a 3 wood. The nice thing is that despite the 3w/5w/5 tour heads being different sizes, the hosels/faces are such that they all play the same length for the same shaft length. So I can swap shafts between heads and they still play the same. Between different shaft launch profiles and loft adjustments, that's how I fine tune performance.

Last edited:
The RadSpeed fwys are no slouches. I am trying out the 3 set stock at 14.5* and the 5 set at 17*. First time out with them yesterday evening for a quick 9 and hit each of them one time. the 5 I hit as my second shot into a par 5, after hitting a tree with my drive. It launched really well, straight as an arrow and left me a little 40 yard pitch to the hole for an up and down birdie. The 3 wood I hit off the next tee on a sharp dogleg left that will not permit driver. Again, I nice, high, but strong ball flight that went through the fairway just a tad, but allowed me a nice smooth pw into the green. It looks like my A bag is going to end up with at least 9 Cobra clubs in it, which makes me happy.

Have a standard 3w and a tour 5w coming for my Morgan cup setup. Almost went Big Tour because I loved the crown but then @Canadan reminded me I don't use 3w as a driver replacement that often so probably don't need it. Went peacoat instead! :cool:

Have a standard 3w and a tour 5w coming for my Morgan cup setup. Almost went Big Tour because I loved the crown but then @Canadan reminded me I don't use 3w as a driver replacement that often so probably don't need it. Went peacoat instead! :cool:
Yeah, blame me - Nice one.

I think that will be an awesome combo. The size of the Tour head makes it something more akin to a club like the Super Hybrid, at least to me.

I think that will be an awesome combo. The size of the Tour head makes it something more akin to a club like the Super Hybrid, at least to me.
kind of my thought there as I didn’t like the look of the hybrid with the glossy crown. It’s a little longer obviously but ball go far. Was seeing about 230 carry with the tour 5w at 16.5*

I went with a 5 Tour, 7 wood 1/4 inch short, 21 hybrid and 24 hybrid.... I'll have plenty of insight coming soon.

Loved the look of the 5 tour but took the forgiveness and launch. Did alright with it but they were low bullets for me.

I am going with both 3 wood and 7 wood at 42.75”(5 wood length) for my Morgan Cup bag!
It would be 42.5 without Cobra connect

My RadSpeed 7W showed up today. Motore F3 regular flex. I’m slowly migrating to regular flex as my swing has slowed and I’m working on smooth. Took it to the range to hit along with PXG 0211 25* hybrid and ZX5 6i to see how gapping is. First swing with the 7W was off a low tee and it was damn near perfect. Much more active shaft than I have in my F9 3W or g400 driver. Then hit off the deck - as I‘ve found with my F9 hybrid and 3W, the rails rock. Seemed to be about 10-20;yards more carry with the 7W Vs the 25* hybrid Which is about 10 yards longer than the 6i.

I was surprised at the size of the RadSpeed - bigger than I thought it would be. But hits easy Off the deck. looks like this will work out well.

pics or it didn't happen. Reference shot is 7W - 25* 0211 hybrid - ZX5 6i

Attachments

• 7w - 4.jpeg
    7w - 4.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 7w - 3.jpeg
    7w - 3.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 7w - 2.jpeg
    7w - 2.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 7w - 1.jpeg
    7w - 1.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 22
pics or it didn't happen. Reference shot is 7W - 25* 0211 hybrid - ZX5 6i
Seeing the 7 wood at address it is not off-putting to me. One might have to find it's way to my bag if I fall in love with the 5 wood and have a tempestuous relationship with the hybrid.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

I also play an F9 3H - love that club, I should add that to the pic as I think the head is smaller than the 0211 hybrid.

I am digging the 3 wood. I have no idea why, but I believe it to be the best Cobra 3 wood that I have ever tried. I hit it off the tee once today and it was as long as any 3 wood that I have ever hit on this hole and the temperature was mid-40’s. Of course, I then 3 jack the hole for a bogey, LOL.

A27BC8F6-D616-478F-98D4-39D3F721EA98.jpeg

I am digging the 3 wood. I have no idea why, but I believe it to be the best Cobra 3 wood that I have ever tried. I hit it off the tee once today and it was as long as any 3 wood that I have ever hit on this hole and the temperature was mid-40’s. Of course, I then 3 jack the hole for a bogey, LOL.

View attachment 9003432

Really hoping this 3W is one I can get along with. Always been driver, 5W and had a pretty big gap up top.

Really hoping this 3W is one I can get along with. Always been driver, 5W and had a pretty big gap up top.

Me too, buts it’s one of the clubs I’m most nervous about getting along with. Of course given this is golf, by saying that I’ve now deemed it my favorite when all is said and done.

View attachment 9003432
That is a MONSTER of a 3w :oops:

I want to hit a 3w at that elevation @Tenputt haha. Your posts involving this years Cobra gear has me all kinds of excited to try it out

I want to hit a 3w at that elevation @Tenputt haha. Your posts involving this years Cobra gear has me all kinds of excited to try it out
Come on out. I always feel a bit sheepish posting about distances, given the advantage of 4000 feet elevation. However, at a little over 40 degrees, compared to a nice 80 degree day at sea level, a chunk of that distance goes away. Even at sea level in equal temperatures, a 280 yard tee ball here is well over 250 at sea level. I will run with joy to the bank with a 250 yard 3 wood in my hands.

IIRC, you have played Cobra FT Black, Cobra King mb/cb combos, and Forged Tec hollow bodies. You have played F8, F9, and SpeedZone. This year, you can play Tour MIMs and RadSpeed. I am totally confident that it will be by far the best bag of Cobra equipment you will have played and the gap is fairly large, imo. I actually thought that for the first time in a few years, I would have almost no Cobra equipment in my bag and now, here I am, looking like I could be a Cobra staffer, LOL. It is really good stuff.

Back