Combo sets...why?

I haven't dabbled much with SGI or GI irons, but my friend gamed burner irons and he had flyer issues. Hitting some irons a full length longer at times than most of his shots. I've never heard of a players club having this issue, so is that why we're more prone to have those as our scoring irons?

Burners and fliers seem to go hand in hand...I think they should be excluded as a reason lol

I had never even thought much about a combo set until the guys that went to the Callaway Ultimate Testing last year came back talking about combo sets of Apex and Apex Pros. It then dawned on me that I'd actually already been playing a combo set of sorts for nearly a year. After winning a set of five SCOR wedges at the Myrtle Beach Invitational I put them into play and have been playing them ever since. SCOR did a very good job matching them to my existing irons from a shaft weight, flex, length and gap standpoint when they built them for me, so they really did really did blend well with the set. I can't say with absolute certainty whether I hit them better than the PW, AW, and SW that came with the set, but I really do have a lot of confidence in them, and the additional two filled in some gaps on the lower end (I have since pulled the 60* in favor of a hybrid on the other end). But if a combo set does something for your confidence with the "scoring" clubs, why not?

My experience with the 588 combo set was that I really liked the TT's and the rest was sort of unnecessary. Having the MT's and Altitudes didn't really do much for me, but it's not like the TT's are little irons or anything. Different situation than a blade and CB combo.

With the tour preferred irons I have a mc/CB combo and would rather have all CB's. I just don't get the point of having the MT's at my skill level. I lose considerably on miss hits and for what? A slightly cooler looking iron basically. I'm sure a higher skill level could take advantage of it, but not me. Should be noted I didn't choose that combo.

I actually thought of this today when searching for Altitudes on EBay.

I came across this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cleveland-Go...7214?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2c7b6ffa7e&_uhb=1

I thought "Why would you only play a 4-5 Altitude, and the rest in MT?"

I always thought the idea of the combo-set was to add clubs into your bag that would add more reliability, consistency, and accuracy. In my situation, I am most confident in the 8,9,PW range. Somewhat confident with the 7iron (mainly due to accuracy issues. If I were to build a set, like I was considering doing with Altitudes (assuming I could find a head/shaft setup that agreed with me), it would be 3,4,5,6 hybrid, possibly the 7 as well.

Why play a combo set? Hopefully to have the confidence 3 - PW in a set that would help in addressing my shortcomings.

I don't have a combo set. But from everything I've read on here, if I'm fit for it I would definitely not be opposed to gaming a set if it make my game better and helps with my scoring. It's the similar to gaming more hybrids at the top of your bag instead of long irons. I personally don't feel that my irons have to match to a full set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gaming my first combo set right now. I could have gone 3-PW Apex Pro if I had wanted, but I wanted the added forgiveness in the longer irons without sacrificing feel in the short irons.

That's pretty much my thought on it. Start with the premise that you can play the "player's" or "pro" version of the set. Then get some added forgiveness on the longer irons.

I've never tried it, and I'm not sure if I would. But I totally understand the thought process.

I've been recently dabbling with the Apex and Apex Pro and have decided that if I go with those clubs I'll probably do a combo set. I would prefer to do a full set of just the Apex but I don't think the Apex have enough consistency across the face to be used as a scoring iron, but in a long iron I can tolerate that discrepancy much easier.

I've got a combo set 4,5,6 cb 7-gw mb here is why I chose them. I tested a bunch of irons mainly gi sets but I hit my s3 pros far better and more consistent and gave me the wow factor. I didn't even think why the set came like it did all I know is I really like how I hit them.

I frequently hear why would someone want a combo set and refer to a set similar to mine but wouldn't Adams a12os and V3/4 also be considered a combo set and never hear why would you play a set made up like that. Is it because of the category they fall into?

I gamed mp54 3-6 and mp4 7-pw for a while last year. Then decided to get a bit more forgiveness throughout the set and went all mp54. I agree with canadan about most everyone already playing a combo set. How many people have GI or SGI clubs then have vokey or some other blade wedges? In the end its about what looks and feels good to you and how much enjoyment you can get out of them

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've been recently dabbling with the Apex and Apex Pro and have decided that if I go with those clubs I'll probably do a combo set. I would prefer to do a full set of just the Apex but I don't think the Apex have enough consistency across the face to be used as a scoring iron, but in a long iron I can tolerate that discrepancy much easier.

I'm with you here. The fliers I caught with the Apex hitting it in the sim made me think that I wouldn't want to go Apex below a 7 iron, but I really couldn't hit the Apex Pro 4 iron at all. I think I'd probably go Apex 5, 6 irons and then 7 - GW Apex Pro.

Mike, I was literally thinking about starting this one earlier.

I know I talked about it at one time i20/s55 but honestly I just don't see any benefit for it. Then, after talking to some of the TM guys about it I see even less of a reason for it, just my take, but I just don't see the point in it.

I don't think most people really know why they play combo sets. I guess more forgiveness in long irons and great control in the mid to short irons. That's why I'd play them.

Cleveland definitely markets this all through the 588 sets. I agree with Dan here--most do this to some degree with a blade type wedge going into whatever iron set and then stopping somewhere in the longer irons for Hybrids instead of 3, 4 or even 5 iron for some. I think its just recently that it became a marketing point. Almost every set out there has options 3-GW, 4-GW, 5-GW, 3-pw, 4-pw, etc etc, so labeling it of a combo set is the only thing new here IMO I like that manufacturers offer this within the brand as opposed to buying a full set and having one or two clubs you never use in favor of a Hybrid at the long end or wedge at the shorter end.

To the original question--its Control at the short end and forgiveness at the longer end--or even the mental perception of that wether it benefits us in application or not.

I'm considering a similar combo.

Went to a bit larger iron last year in the epon 502's. Played very well with them but I'd catch the occasionally 20 yard flyer with them in the short irons.

Got me in trouble a lot.

I'm considering putting in a four iron in the regular Apex set. My thinking is that I seldom hit a four iron during a round, so having a little help on the one or two shots I have to hit with it during a round will help. I practice with it enough, but just a little help when on the course may give me a bit more confidence over he ball when it counts.

I have recently been thinking about it and tried it on a limited basis. If you think about, any of us that use hybrids are effectively using mixed sets. Seems we all have a place in the mid to long irons where we get uncomfortable and are not as confident/competent getting enough trajectory or forgiveness to offset the decline in loft. It is just a matter of at what point in the longer end of the set you transition from irons to hybrids. Most people go straight to hybrids at that point, But some have issues with hybrids. Hybrids and irons both have their strengths and weaknesses. A good middle ground for the mid irons is transitioning from say a player iron to a GI or from a GI to SGI. With that you get the forgiveness and/or the help elevating a shot without issues some have with hybrids. I did this replacing the 6 iron in my Mizzy 800 Pros with an 800 HD, with hybrids for the 5 and 4. I think it is a good alternative and worked well in the round I played this weekend when I needed a 6 iron. So much so I bought a set of Mizzy JPX EZs to see if I can benefit from the features of these SGI irons through the rest of the bag. My first reaction to using these so far is positive, but I may transition my 800 Pros back in at the Gap wedge. Initially I like that wedge better and I think it is a little more versatile around the green.

Versatility in the scoring clubs, especially from say the 8 or 9 iron through the pitching/gap wedge is important. They may not get more versatility from a more player type iron, but like the forgiveness in the mid and long irons.

My personal opinion - as it stands currently we have SGI, GI and Players irons. It's not a very in depth grading or categorization scale. As to what iron actually falls into each of those categories is highly subjective. So if you were to combo the TM TP CB/MC, which I both consider players irons, I would see no point. The same goes for s55/i20/25, and Cleveland 588 CB/MC. I consider all those irons players clubs. Now if you were to combo the Ping G25 and i25/S55, or Cleveland Altitudes and 588 CB/MC it's not so grey anymore and there is a distinct difference in the make up of the clubs.

Awesome thread Deano. I'm definitely one of the combo set guys and I'm not 100% as to why. I don't really shape the ball all that much. Since I've been fitted for irons my normal shot is a baby draw, but I do try to hit a cut here or there depending on the lie and where the pin is and all that. I can say I like knowing I have more forgiveness in the longer irons. As far as why I go with a less forgiving in the 7-PW I'm not sure. I've always been a fairly decent/consistent iron player. I suppose it's just what I prefer when setting up to the ball. I do enjoy the smaller head, thinner top line at address. Would I benefit from having a non combo set? I'm not sure to be completely honest. So in summary I guess I don't know why I run a combo set other than I like the looks and feel of the "players" iron at address with scoring type clubs.

Look at my set from last year, the 588 MT/TT combo set. The only reason I went with a combo set, is because I struggle with long irons and the MT irons gave a bit more of what I needed in terms of launch and forgiveness out off the toe than the TT irons did. For me, it was purely because I needed help in the long iron part of my bag, not because I needed a smaller iron in the short/scoring irons.

I don't think most people really know why they play combo sets. I guess more forgiveness in long irons and great control in the mid to short irons. That's why I'd play them.

Pretty much exactly what I said in a long winded response.

Combo sets.... It seems it starts with what it does to your confidence, the added forgiveness in the long irons, with a bit more playability in the shorter irons. If I had to guess. There must be something to it, why else would people be yanking the long irons and putting in hybrids and various fairway woods. Same principle as I see it.

I'm of the opinion that if you need more forgiveness in the long and mid irons, then you could probably benefit from the same forgiveness in the short irons. While the misses are probably more pronounced in the long irons, if you are missing with the long irons, chances are you are missing center face on the short irons too.

Blade style irons generally do the following thing: lower the ball flight, allow more drastic lateral ball flight. In another thread on THP, almost 100% of respondents said they didn't hit the ball too high or wish they could hit it higher. blades will do the opposite for you. And if you are trying to hit the ball straight, blades will work against you here as well.

Yes, blades are also more versatile on specialty shots, like greenside bunkers, flop shots and the like. But these shots are almost always performed with wedges, not short irons, and often require different types of bounce and sole designs than those found in iron sets optimized for full swings.

I've read more than 1 post in here talking about the flyers in the short irons as a reason to go combo set. I have not had any fliers I can recall in my short irons from either the speedblades or the Altitudes (although did experience them with the Burner 2.0s a couple years ago), and clubs don't get bigger and clunkier than the Altitudes. Of course I've had fliers from the rough with these clubs, but that is unavoidable with conforming grooves on any clubhead. Unless you are a scratch golfer, I would argue that your distance consistency could actually be worse with blades as mis-hits are going to come up significantly shorter with blades than a perimeter weighted club head when you miss the center of the face.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see the benefit to playing a combo set. If you can't manage to hit the long and mid irons in a set that you like the short irons of, I'd change out everything to give me something I could hit well. Straight, high and forgiving is what I need in an iron set.

I believe the popularity of combo sets is primarily ego driven. Many golfers love the look and cache of playing blades, but can't hit the long sticks at all so make a compromise. I wonder if these golfers could score even better going with something more forgiving in the short irons too.

I wonder if these golfers could score even better going with something more forgiving in the short irons too.

Wondering the same myself, which is why I am trying the JPX EZs.

I am just getting back into golf after a long layoff so please take what I am going to say with a grain of salt. But wouldn't your ability be based on each club in your bag? What I mean is, should you look at each club seperately, and based on your ability to hit that club, you may go SGI, GI or player. And then you would upgrade and evaluate your clubs individually, until you fine tune the entire set. Maybe start with a GI or SGI set, and then upgrade each club as they begin to limit you.

Or is that just too granular?

Again, I have been away from the sport for a long time, so maybe I am way off base.

Back