I’m sorry for the very long winded answer, but I just started typing and just let it flow!

I heard a long time ago about the 3 C’s of being a captain, if you’re going to lead a team, you need to be COURAGEOUS, CARING, and CONSISTENT.

But what does all that really mean, if you have been selected as a captain of anything it is quite an honor. To be selected to be a captain of a team of THPers, it’s a once in a lifetime honor and should not be taken lightly. With this great honor, comes great responsibility. If Spiderman taught us anything, “With great power, comes great responsibility” If I think of any team on THP I’ve ever ben lucky enough to be a part of, the captain was always there to build you up, make you laugh, calm you down, fire you up or even just enjoy a cold beverage of choice with while enjoying the success of the team win, or enjoying the success of the other team winning. That is the huge difference in a THP event vs other sporting events we all may have been a part of growing up. Win or Lose you’re going to have an amazing time with a THP event!

So how do the captain traits I remember apply to being a THP captain:

COURAGEOUS
You must be courageous enough to put yourself out there and maybe do or try things you haven’t previously, maybe that’s a piece of equipment you never thought about trying before, writing a deeper more in depth review, trying a different way to review or maybe even diving in to a social media channel you hadn’t used previously. Or maybe is the courage to have a good time no matter if you’re winning or losing!

CARING
Care for everyone no matter what. Every single THPer is coming from a different family, personal and professional situation before they show up to that THP event. Can you learn about each of your team individually and constantly care for their physical, mental, digital and golf well being.

CONSISTENT
Last but certainly not least being consistent in everything, in the effort to post, to review, to compete. In regular check ins and on going communication with the entire team and forum. And last but certainly not least to consistently be grateful for the amazing opportunity we all might have.

HOW AWESOME!!! THP is truly that, an awesome, special, unique place!

Good Luck to those who enter. The only problem is you will have to Captain Team Hackers against Team Paradise Captain @jdtox.

I am at a point where I think I could make a good Captain. I love the team aspect of events and with my personality I believe I could help create a laid back and really fun experience. I would love doing behind the scenes work that could help my teammates have the most enjoyment they can possibly have. Fun is the most important aspect of an event for me but I also want to win so I'd do whatever I can to put our team in a position to get pull out a W. After being on Master Yagley's team a few years ago I know he wants to win and I think we'd be a great duo to lead the team.

I've also been fortunate to be around people that are passionate about this event and I've been able to learn from them. I would love to try and make one person in particular proud of how the team did and how well we represented in the Morgan Cup.

As far as the equipment side of it that's always one of the most fun parts of golf. I love seeing what it can do and how it compares to what I've played in the past and answering questions for other members to help them with their buying decisions. It's a blast posting in the forum and on social media and I try my best to give real feedback on what I see is good and what I have troubles with. I've been a fan of Cobra equipment ever since I bought my first good set of irons, the Cobra Gravity Backs, and have no problem reviewing long term.

Whoever ends up getting this spot is going to be one lucky person and I hope ends up having the time of their life!

1. Be a 2021 Albatross Club Member- Heck yes I am!
2. Be active on the THP Forum- I'm not as active on here as some but I usually check most everyday.
3. Talk about equipment- Probably my weak point but part of that is because I have old equipment other than the new wedges so I don't have as much to contribute with the newer clubs and technology.
4. Don’t be a jerk- I get along with pretty much everyone I meet. If I don't then they would not meet this criteria lol. I believe I would be good at motivating the team but most importantly make sure everyone has fun!

Forgot to add that all my "old equipment" is Cobra. My driver and 5w are the Cobra Speed LD from 2006 or 2007. My 3H is a Cobra Baffler from around the same time and my irons are Cobra S3 GI irons. It would be interesting to see how much I would gain with updating to newer Cobra technology as I am a long time fan of the brand.

Last edited:
For me? Yes, I believe in my heart of hearts that i could and would make a good Captain. I have had to make the hard decision in the past and i do really well with expressing ,myself to others and getting the buy in when needed. I have coached many a Team in the past from Football, Softball to running a full blown manufacturing company.

I have been a member of a private, semi Private club and just not been a member at all like i am now. One thing 26 years in the military taught me was, everybody is different and no one listens and/or can be handled the same. If you have 12 people on your team, you will probably have 12 different leadership persona's.

Am i the best tech guru? NO, but i am learning and starting to do a lot more than just grips. At my age, you need make changes to your equipment and your game as the days and months expire. I am blessed to have the game I do at my age and would love to try and help others understand what is needed to extend theirs.

I am active as a member and a firm believer in St Judes and will be an Albatross Member while i am sucking air. I have always dreamed of playing the MC and will continue to try, and having the opportunity to Captain a team someday? Priceless.....I do tend to have a twisted sense of humor and its hard to tell someones thought process from what they type, but i do not think i have ever been per civet to be a Richard. That is one thing that would never fly in my mind, with what the MC stands for.

I have been working from home for 9 months and will continue for another 7 minimum form what the direction is currently, the time is not a Problem

Last edited:
I’m sorry for the very long winded answer, but I just started typing and just let it flow!

Follow up. Do you think you have the time or want to being engaged with the activity and discussions?

For those saying they do not have the tech knowledge, honestly, few do.

That's okay. Its about discussing equipment (all equipment) and engaging in those discussions overall. Drive by posting is not what we are looking for.

An honest answer, saying in a positive way, probably not, there's tons of people here that are probably more deserving and have more knowledge. Do I have what it takes? Never been tested at something like this before so I don't know. I like to discuss equipment, sometimes with a lot of golf stuff I kind of feel left out at times due to where I live and availability of equipment, which is ok that's on me.
An albatross member, yes
Frequent the forum, yes
I don't think I'm a jerk..
I've done 1 review here on a club and I thought I did a good job, frequently add what I can to both threads that it pertains to.
I'm competitive and would like to share a journey with a special group. I'd more so want to just be apart of the team. I'd be up to review anything, not afraid to change up what I've got, like one said above at this point in my life I gotta play with what I think works.
With all that said, good luck to everyone and congrats to who is chosen.

I would like to throw @Qwkz51 name in the ring here! I think he would be a great captain!
I'm speechless @J.B. Cobb III and honored, thank you for saying that. Obviously I'd be honored, but I think there are a lot of people that would be a better captain than I.

This has always been an amazing event to read along with. I love to tinker and talk equipment, always looking for that edge. I try to be active and hope comments I've made have been helpful to others. Plus I've always been a fan of Cobra, first set of legit irons were the King Cobra FP's and I keep coming back to Cobra for their driver...

Well, I have captained before. I can say with 100% certain I am a yes for 1, 2 and 3, but depending on who you ask I might not cut the mustard for the 4th stipulation...

Love that the Morgan Cup is continuing on, one of the best weekends of my life was down in OK when I was lucky enough to go and would love to go back. Doing it as a captain would be an honor, whoever gets selected will be continuing a tradition of some really incredible people who have held the role previously.

I am still a relative rookie here at THP, just approaching my one year anniversary of Joining the THP community. I have many past experiences to draw upon as a captain, and I am a singular minded individual, other than family and work obligations, my focus is singular to that I am currently involved.

My love for equipment and tinkering is pretty well known (as a High School golf coach I have likely saved more in PUD discounts than I actually have gotten paid to coach the team :ROFLMAO:) , to top that off I am a bit of an oxymoron, as I am extremely loyal to the equipment I game and rarely switch clubs in my set up, but I love to tinker and test things out, and enjoy sharing my opinion good or bad of that equipment. I have been known to play the front nine with one set of clubs and put them in the car and play the back nine with a completely different set, just so I could compare and identify which perform best under similar conditions. As far as being a jerk is depends who you ask, my daughter who is 17 and a HS senior thinks I am (even after I bought her a new car..lol), but everyone else generally likes me (I think :giggle:).

Short answer. Yes. Long answer... You get the Capt you deserve :ROFLMAO:

Would love the opportunity to captain a team. I try to be an active participant within the forum. I have been called numerous things in my life but don’t remember being called a jerk. I enjoy equipment and have offered up reviews in the past and plan on adding more as I get newer equipment in.

My "resume"

1. Be a 2021 Albatross Club Member - easily done every year since joining
2. Be active on the THP Forum
- Active in post drives, new equipment, forum chats, live streams
3. Talk about equipment
- references - See TEEm experience this past year
4. Don’t be a jerk
- don't believe any grievances have been filed. Been a supportive teammate in THP event ("Bridgestone")
- Never been "that guy" in social situations
- Extrovert and enjoy meeting others while golfing and enjoying all things golf.
- I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that?
Spoiler
THIS IS A MOVIE QUOTE!!!!!!! NOT A PERSONALITY TRAIT

Last edited:
I can and I have on multiple occasions. However, I think that period of me wanting to be a captain is pretty much passed. Enjoyed mostly every minute of it, except for having to call out some players for various reasons. Those convos weren't fun haha

my post is only meant to keep the thread moving, as i'm not putting my name out as potential captain. #teamparadise4life

when i found out last year that i was going to be the captain of the grandaddy, it was exhilarating. yes, i was nervous. yes, i felt a little guilty taking a spot from so many others who in my mind were more deserving. but i had enough confidence to think i could do it, and i had a vision.

in hindsight, while i don't have any regrets, i learned a lot and would do things differently if given the opportunity again.

but as @jdtox wrote, captaincy - particularly of an event with so much meaning - is not to be taken lightly. you need time. you need commitment. you need flexibility. you need somewhat thick skin (or a support system to help slap you when you go off the rails). and you need perspective. this sounds silly when talking about a golf event with internet strangers, but i think the most successful captains have managed to sustain all of those qualities, while still keeping everything fun, fresh and friendly. that is a lot harder than i realized.

It would be a fun time but I am in no way qualified for it. I am on the forum 5-6 times a day but to quiet for my own good so I don't post a lot. Yes, I know my 2021 albatross is not in yet but it is in line to get added next month.

So whoever gets chosen congrats and good luck.

Follow up. Do you think you have the time or want to being engaged with the activity and discussions?

Yessir, I sure do! I think.

Of course. I am a firm believer that having fun is the primary objective at a THP event!

Of course. I am a firm believer that having fun is the primary objective at a THP event!

Follow up. Do you think you have the time or want to be heavily involved and vested into the equipment discussions?

Good luck to you guys that are hopeful in this great opportunity and responsibility.

As much as I would love to toss my hat into the ring, I know this year is not the year for me. With a new baby right now I wouldn't be able to give what this position requires. I do love talking about and testing equipment though and hope to actually be apart of the Morgan Cup, just cant lead right now. I hope maybe in the next year or two I could possibly have that honor, in the meantime just hopeful for a THP Experience.

Once again good luck to you all trying for this opportunity and to @JB for the decision ahead.

I've seen some exciting and sober submissions for captain. If anyone missed, I think post @jdtox made earlier in the thread was paramount for this role. As crazy as this year as has been, THP continues to be a place for people to be able to escape and find the happy in equipment discussions, banter and the like. Engagement is a big part of this in addition to the leadership aspect and it's critical that everyone take inventory on your bandwidth, engagement, leadership and leadership style etc. As someone who had two fantastic captains and is now supporting one, I can see from both sides that's it's more than most realize. This event is the hallmark of THP as demonstrated in the namesake. It's a big deal with long term responsibilities, tons of fun, and lots of exposure to the forum and Cobra. All the best to everyone applying and I can't wait to see who takes up the torch to carry it forward. May the MC continue for years to come!

Last edited:
Follow up. Do you think you have the time or want to be heavily involved and vested into the equipment discussions?
  1. I enjoy talking equipment, especially when I have something worthwhile to add from either personal experience playing or tinkering with clubs. Look at how vested I was in discussions especially around my experiences with Arccos Golf. I love sharing honest feedback - both the good and bad.
  2. Time is never an issue when it comes to golf. In fact, now that my wife has beat cancer, I’m looking forward to spending more time geeking out on equipment discussions and meeting up for golf events.
  3. Ive had the opportunity to do a few reviews on THP. My favorite was the 2Undr golf boxer briefs I had to review. I promise that I won’t show as much leg in future discussions. 🤪🤪

I've seen some exciting and sober submissions for captain. If anyone missed, I think post @jdtox made earlier in the thread was paramount for this role. As crazy as this year as has been, THP continues to be a place for people to be able to escape and find the happy in equipment discussions, banter and the like. Engagement is a big part of this in addition to the leadership aspect and it's critical that everyone take inventory on your bandwidth, engagement, leadership and leadership style etc. As someone who had to fantastic captains and is now supporting one, I can see from both sides that's it's more than most realize. This event is the hallmark of THP as demonstrated in the namesake. It's a big deal with long term responsibilities, tons of fun, and lots of exposure to the forum and Cobra. All the best to everyone applying and I can't wait to see who takes up the torch to carry it forward. May the MC continue for years to come!
100% agree with this. Everything about the Morgan Cup is the Greatest. Being a captain or participant and knowing you did your part to have the Morgan Cup return for another year is the biggest achievement for the weekend!

Back