Some really heartfelt and fantastic responses in here. If anything, this already is going to be a difficult decision for the crew (as it should be!). I'm really looking forward to seeing who will be on deck to captain the Team Hackers this year.

We've already seen a tremendous amount of innovation and change with the Cobra lineup; next year promises to be a really great (and hopefully standout) year for them. I know we are going to get some great feedback and reviews (hopefully live ones) by the MC crew. This is a special event and deserves all the attention, focus, and thoughtfulness it can get.

2021 is already shaping up to be a great THP year, and the selection of a captain will be a great capstone to 2020 and lead in to that year. Good luck everyone!

I will add. I have owned cobra clubs at various times since I was 14. The first set of clubs I ever purchased with my own money were these. That was in 1994.. I have own a bunch of other cobra stuff including my current irons throughout the years.

1606861569947.png1606861666041.png

I am quoting your post as this same thought was a big part of what has been running through my head all day. The thought of being part of a big event like this and getting to meet some great people and get some great clubs seems like an easy decision. But, this isn't just for a spot on the team. This is to lead them. I had to think about this a bit. I wasn't sure I should throw my hat in or not. Even went home and discussed it with my wife. Would she be ok with the commitment I needed to make to take on the task? Will it impact her or my kids?

At the end of the discussion, she told me to go for it. "When would you ever get a chance like this again?", she says. She's on board. That's half the battle. But, there was still a lot of internal reflection to do.

Do I feel like I am ready to be a team captain for an event that means so much to this community? I don't want to come off as overconfident. But, I have some qualities that I think would lend themselves well to the event. First and foremost is the realization that this is so much more than just being part of the event. It's a commitment. A commitment to the team, to the THP community, and to Cobra. I know that if I were chosen, I would be 100% in. I would do the best that I can to be what THP needs this captain to be. The biggest part being our responsibility to showcase the gear we would be playing. Ensuring our team was all doing their part.

But, for the sake of being honest. The thought of having the responsibility is a little overwhelming. Even just typing this out has me shaking a little bit. It may be a more confident larger personality that belongs in this spot. And I am 100% fine with that. Thankfully, I have had the experience of being part of an amazing experience that had @McLovin be an amazing captain and @mikeg_74 as the Asscap. I have seen what it takes to perform a job like this first hand. And on top of that, there is a big community of past event participants to lean on. As well as a history of excellence that are only a thread search away.

In typical fashion, I have been overthinking about this all day. Running through different scenarios in my head. It's taken me hours to get myself to the point of replying to this thread. Maybe I have too much self doubt. But, you'll never know until you make the jump. I mean, I love talking golf and golf gear. Love this community.

So, can I captain? I think so. Are there people that would likely do a better job than me? I have no doubt. But, if chosen, I would be honored to lead the team.
Wonderful words! You have taken the time to think about a lot of the variables!

Just wanted to add my thoughts and perspective to it from the journey this year and what it takes to lead Team Hackers, this year's team was fantastic every guy was great and definitely made each day of the journey enjoyable.

Learn the history of the Morgan Cup, know what it’s about.

It starts with it's namesake, I encourage you to read up on past experiences and JBs own words his reasons for it. The MORGAN Cup is incredibly important, not just to them, but to many THPers past and present and hopefully future as well. There is a reason that Jason Kunze (P4B) has his name on the trophy, he’s made quite a lasting impact on many THPers and this experience is part of his legacy.

Any participant of any THP experience should have the mentality (especially a Captain) “what can I do/need to do” to ensure that this experience will return in the future? How do I best represent the best of myself, THP and Cobra/Puma Golf? Yes, that means committing to all of the equipment/apparel/swag and talking about it from the day you are chosen, until well past the last putt drops during Sunday Singles.

To be a Captain in an experience such as this, see all of the effort, hardwork and passion that the sponsors (THP and CPG Rachel/Yagley/Jose) have and put into this, embrace it, immerse yourself in it, share it with the forum and through social media, bleed green, white and Hackers red.

Build the relationship with your team beyond the golf, HAVE FUN, hold yourself accountable, hold your team accountable be inclusive, not exclusive. Bring the thousands of people following your Tour Player journey along for the ride.

Just wanted to add my thoughts and perspective to it from the journey this year and what it takes to lead Team Hackers, this year's team was fantastic every guy was great and definitely made each day of the journey enjoyable.

It starts with it's namesake, I encourage you to read up on past experiences and JBs own words his reasons for it. The MORGAN Cup is incredibly important, not just to them, but to many THPers past and present and hopefully future as well. There is a reason that Jason Kunze (P4B) has his name on the trophy, he’s made quite a lasting impact on many THPers and this experience is part of his legacy.

Any participant of any THP experience should have the mentality (especially a Captain) “what can I do/need to do” to ensure that this experience will return in the future? How do I best represent the best of myself, THP and Cobra/Puma Golf? Yes, that means committing to all of the equipment/apparel/swag and talking about it from the day you are chosen, until well past the last putt drops during Sunday Singles.

To be a Captain in an experience such as this, see all of the effort, hardwork and passion that the sponsors (THP and CPG Rachel/Yagley/Jose) have and put into this, embrace it, immerse yourself in it, share it with the forum and through social media, bleed green, white and Hackers red.

Build the relationship with your team beyond the golf, HAVE FUN, hold yourself accountable, hold your team accountable be inclusive, not exclusive. Bring the thousands of people following your Tour Player journey along for the ride.

Good info..

This is a fun post. The event does mean a lot to me. It’s named after my wife. It was the first of its kind by a landslide and is often attempted by others and nothing comes close.

One of the best things about these experiences is they don’t go away. The live update threads are there. We recommend 2019 and 2020 as thats when it became a certain mission of mine.

I think one of the moments that stood out from this year was when it ended and someone said “JB, I thought this was going to be another fun weekend of golf. It was something totally different”. That is what I strive for now with every experience and we think it’s a fun formula. That’s not to pat me on the back, I don’t want that as anybody that knows me can attest to. It’s about the creation that drives me, and that won’t stop. Nothing even 2 years ago is like it is now and we will continue to evolve.

As for discussing equipment, I could do that literally all day.
My wife has learned to tune me out😅 but I love diving into some discussion on tech and club fitting.

This is a fun post. The event does mean a lot to me. It’s named after my wife. It was the first of its kind by a landslide and is often attempted by others and nothing comes close.

One of the best things about these experiences is they don’t go away. The live update threads are there. We recommend 2019 and 2020 as thats when it became a certain mission of mine.

I think one of the moments that stood out from this year was when it ended and someone said “JB, I thought this was going to be another fun weekend of golf. It was something totally different”. That is what I strive for now with every experience and we think it’s a fun formula. That’s not to pat me on the back, I don’t want that as anybody that knows me can attest to. It’s about the creation that drives me, and that won’t stop. Nothing even 2 years ago is like it is now and we will continue to evolve.

While 2019 and 2020 might have been different from 2018, that event was still absolutely incredible.

It’s been really fun to watch this event grow year over year. I’m not sure I can fathom what the 2021 Morgan Cup will be like!

I think I meet all of the criteria...I'm sure I do, except for maybe the reviewing equipment part. Not that I wouldn't put forth the effort. I've received golf balls and a putter grip from THP and think I did a good job reviewing (while the golf balls lasted anyway, which wasn't long with my game). My concern is that I'm not an equipment junkie to the level that many of the members here are, and since I'm a high handicapper I'm not sure I could provide the type of review that the majority are looking for.

I'd sure as hell like to try though!

While I think there are more worthy THP'ers, I meet the basic criteria, and believe I'm up to the challenge. I'm passionate about everyone's individual and shared experience being the best it can be when I play, organize the activities of a group of guys far crazier and challenging than any THP'ers (I think :unsure:) daily, have been on a non-stop quest to expand my equipment knowledge and experience this year and to share what I can with the forum, and would be honored to help and learn from my teammates at such a once-in-a-lifetime event.

I also really like some Cobra stuff :) and am open to committing to play some things that don't necessarily appeal to me from a distance .

I think I meet all of the criteria...I'm sure I do, except for maybe the reviewing equipment part. Not that I wouldn't put forth the effort. I've received golf balls and a putter grip from THP and think I did a good job reviewing (while the golf balls lasted anyway, which wasn't long with my game). My concern is that I'm not an equipment junkie to the level that many of the members here are, and since I'm a high handicapper I'm not sure I could provide the type of review that the majority are looking for.

I'd sure as hell like to try though!

I want to reiterate, it is not really about reviews. It is about engaging and discussing. Nobody needs tech knowledge to ask questions or offer what they see, hear and feel.

While I think there are more worthy THP'ers, I meet the basic criteria, and believe I'm up to the challenge. I'm passionate about everyone's individual and shared experience being the best it can be when I play, organize the activities of a group of guys far crazier than any THP'ers (I think :unsure:) daily, have been on a non-stop quest to expand my equipment knowledge and experience this year and to share what I can with the forum, and would be honored to help and learn from my teammates at such a once-in-a-lifetime event.

I also really like some Cobra stuff :) and am open to committing to play some things that don't necessarily appeal to me from a distance .

I would follow you as a cap!

Follow up. Why would you want to? I mean if something doesnt interest you, it doesnt interest you, right?

Follow up. Why would you want to? I mean if something doesnt interest you, it doesnt interest you, right?
Because me not being as superficially attracted to something before trying it doesn't mean I won't like it, or that it won't ultimately be what's best for me. My life, and club favorites, prove that regularly.

I want to reiterate, it is not really about reviews. It is about engaging and discussing. Nobody needs tech knowledge to ask questions or offer what they see, hear and feel.
I expected a response similar to this from you. It's just that a lot of the technology that goes into golf equipment, balls, etc. gets lost on me to an extent.

I'll say this, what drew me to this place is an equipment review, what made me stick around for 6 years now is the community, the personalities that exist here. I've played in a couple of official events and one "unofficial" one and I LOVED meeting and getting to know so many of the people behind the names. I'm certain that I could lead a team of THP members and foster the relationships of a group of people from all over the world(?) for an event that will create a lifetime of memories.

Whether I'm a captain, a participant, or just living vicariously from home through those that are fortunate enough to be a part of it, I'll always be here and be engaging when I feel like I have something useful to contribute.

1. Be a 2021 Albatross Club Member - ✅ Done
2. Be active on the THP Forum - ✅ Post every day
3. Talk about equipment - ✅ A primary reason I am a member on THP
4. Don’t be a jerk - ✅ If occasional ornery or e-awkward is OK, I'm good. :p

Could I be a captain? Sure. But I don't think I have enough THP Experience experience to do all of the things needed for the role of captain. That role is important for the participants, the sponsor(s), the forum community, the venue, and THP. I used to think captains needed to be good or great golfers. I think I have learned a few things. From what I can decipher from the Experience code, it is more than golf. Much more. If I am lucky enough to get into a "modern" THP experience or two, maybe then I would be able to serve in a captain role. But it is also something I don't aspire to or covet. I think there are people here on THP who have the skills, aptitude, experience, and context needed. And some even want it. I look forward to learning who is picked.

It is for sure a huge honor for whoever gets chosen for this.

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.I think so
4. Until proven otherwise

3.this was my only concern.

I wish I would have done better reviewing my equipment from the Titleist event but I was was new to THP and really didn’t know what to say because that was the first time with truly fitted equipment.

I think getting equipment early would provide the time to take the forum on the journey and allow you to review all aspects of the bag and be more interactive with the process than just doing follow ups after the event with how it’s still going.

There are a few people that have their name in the hat for this that I, for one, Would LOVE to play for. Although I would not take my name out of the running, iI for some reason you would like my top 2 or 3 I would back in a heart beat, just ask.

There are a few people that have their name in the hat for this that I, for one, Would LOVE to play for. Although I would not take my name out of the running, iI for some reason you would like my top 2 or 3 I would back in a heart beat, just ask.
Everybody has their name in the hat that is an Albatross Club member as we just started our search and put our criteria out there. That’s the beauty of it, it’s there for the taking and our list will end up surprising people I have a feeling.

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.I think so
4. Until proven otherwise

3.this was my only concern.

I wish I would have done better reviewing my equipment from the Titleist event but I was was new to THP and really didn’t know what to say because that was the first time with truly fitted equipment.

I think getting equipment early would provide the time to take the forum on the journey and allow you to review all aspects of the bag and be more interactive with the process than just doing follow ups after the event with how it’s still going.
I feel ya, I think a lot of times for me there's so much I want to say but sometimes I don't know how to say it without sounding like such an moron. Kind of like being a captain, you want to do it but you just don't want to fail. It's not the fear of failure, its the fear of failure to your peers that you want to do so well at. Never been to a THP event but if given the chance someday I'll represent in the best way possible.

Everybody has their name in the hat that is an Albatross Club member as we just started our search and put our criteria out there. That’s the beauty of it, it’s there for the taking and our list will end up surprising people I have a feeling.
Do you release a cut day list? Like tomorrow we'll learn who's in the top 50? That would be pretty cool.

Back