Could you play a mixed set of wedges (brands)?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Could you play a mixed wedge setup brand wise, or no?

I’m pondering going SM10 50/54 and the Full Face 2 58, but my brain is fighting me…

Everybody Loves Raymond Romano GIF by TV Land

Can and have.

Could you play a mixed wedge setup brand wise, or no?

I’m pondering going SM10 50/54 and the Full Face 2 58, but my brain is fighting me…
Full face is Cleveland right?

• Staff
Full face is Cleveland right?
Yup, I’ve got a brand new one sitting here that I traded stuff in and grabbed, and just did nothing with. Would fit me way better than the 60T SM10

I struggle with this concept but may walk off into the deep end this season with a 54 CBX4 and Edel 58 deg

Never bothers me. Always looked at wedges as specialized tools selected to excel at their unique jobs. Actually always looked at entire bag that way. Brand names are the least important characteristic of any club, personally.

Last edited:
Yup, I’ve got a brand new one sitting here that I traded stuff in and grabbed, and just did nothing with. Would fit me way better than the 60T SM10
Was just trying to make sure. Everyone calls it something different. Lol

Never bothers me. Always looked at wedges as specialized tools selected to excel at their unique jobs.
I used to be this way, then something happened, I blame COVID. Hahaha

is thee a benefit to do this one way or the other?

I’m doing it right now.
three wedges, three different brands

I’m doing it right now.
2 brands is one thing. 3. Is borderline insane.

Could? Yes.

Would I? Probably not.

I've tried out all kinds of wedges and each one has a slightly different feel I don't think I'd want a different feel for each wedge. Especially because for my wedge play feel is very important.

2 brands is one thing. 3. Is borderline insane.
As a person that doesn’t full swing wedges really, ever, each one serves a purpose

A long time ago, I had a Wilson Staff Dynapower SW and a Ram Tom Watson 60 degree. It worked out fine.

I’m doing it right now.
You were my inspiration for this realization on this today. I was talking with Pops on the course today about a couple shots I hit with the SM10 60T and while good shots, acknowledging that the 4 degrees of bounce is a bad situation long term for our course and my swing.

But I realized I have a 58 FF2 with a grind that is GREAT for me sitting at home. So why not play a blended set of wedges?

As a person that doesn’t full swing wedges really, ever, each one serves a purpose
I absolutely love this.

If it works it works. Still have a 62 in the bag?

Kiss up!! 😂 jk
Nah, @JB is stuck with me at this point haha

But really, if you don’t full swing them, then having an optimized wedge in each spot makes all the sense.

That’s where I am with the LW, that FF2 is a perfect grind, shape, bounce, all of it for a wedge that I will AT MOST 3/4 swing. So why am I fighting it?

I’m doing it right now.
why? Other than.....cause you can.
Is better fit a potential benefit? Hahaha
Well, all wedges can be custom fit to your specs. So that SHOULD be a consideration regardless. Not saying I wouldnt do it. But, inside of a set of irons, I dont think most people would play various manufacturers because of looks. Maybe a blended set that progresses through the top to bottom. But, Not sure i can wrap my head around 3-4 different wedges from 3-4 different manufacturers that all look, feel, sound and perform differently.

Now, i have played different wedge finishes inside of the same group of wedges. But not for any other reason than because they werent available in the same finish as the irons themselves.

Nah, @JB is stuck with me at this point haha

But really, if you don’t full swing them, then having an optimized wedge in each spot makes all the sense.

That’s where I am with the LW, that FF2 is a perfect grind, shape, bounce, all of it for a wedge that I will AT MOST 3/4 swing. So why am I fighting it?
I have recently started the thought process of “why try to hit irons and wedges so hard”. Driver, go full bore. Hit it hard. Irons, really no need.

Back