Could you play a mixed set of wedges (brands)?

why? Other than.....cause you can.

Well, all wedges can be custom fit to your specs. So that SHOULD be a consideration regardless. Not saying I wouldnt do it. But, inside of a set of irons, I dont think most people would play various manufacturers because of looks. Maybe a blended set that progresses through the top to bottom. But, Not sure i can wrap my head around 3-4 different wedges from 3-4 different manufacturers that all look, feel, sound and perform differently.

Now, i have played different wedge finishes inside of the same group of wedges. But not for any other reason than because they werent available in the same finish as the irons themselves.
Wedges and irons as blended setups are comparing apples to kumquats imo.

And not all wedges can be custom fit to your needs, some companies may not make a grind that is optimal for a player in a spot, so, why not blend brands if that is the case?

If it works it works. Still have a 62 in the bag?
I have a 52 Mizuno that is more of a low runner with spin shot or bump and run. I have a 56 RTX6 that’s is good to elevate or anything really under 85 yards. Then I have a 61.5 degree Callaway that is to go straight up and lad soft

Wedges and irons as blended setups are comparing apples to kumquats imo.

And not all wedges can be custom fit to your needs, some companies may not make a grind that is optimal for a player in a spot, so, why not blend brands if that is the case?
I play potentially 3 different brands of “iron”. lol.. but I am kinda not smart.

why? Other than.....cause you can.

Well, all wedges can be custom fit to your specs. So that SHOULD be a consideration regardless. Not saying I wouldnt do it. But, inside of a set of irons, I dont think most people would play various manufacturers because of looks. Maybe a blended set that progresses through the top to bottom. But, Not sure i can wrap my head around 3-4 different wedges from 3-4 different manufacturers that all look, feel, sound and perform differently.

Now, i have played different wedge finishes inside of the same group of wedges. But not for any other reason than because they werent available in the same finish as the irons themselves.
Not all wedges are the same over even close to the same. That changed 6-8 years ago and they get progressively different with each passing year

I have a 52 Mizuno that is more of a low runner with spin shot or bump and run. I have a 56 RTX6 that’s is good to elevate or anything really under 85 yards. Then I have a 61.5 degree Callaway that is to go straight up and lad soft
Nice..

I have recently started the thought process of “why try to hit irons and wedges so hard”. Driver, go full bore. Hit it hard. Irons, really no need.
I’m in that for ‘24. I don’t want to hit 9i 165 carry anymore, that’s stupid, give me easy 150-155. Same into my wedges, I want a gap I can carry 130 and in, a sand that is 115 and in, then a lob that is 85 and in…and I want to be able to hit ALL of them from greenside out to their number in a variety of shots.

Driver and fairways? Red ass on those all the way haha

Not all wedges are the same over even close to the same. That changed 6-8 years ago and they get progressively different with each passing year
Amen.

Just step back and look at the breadth of the wedge segment now from even two years ago, it’s changed SO much.

I’m in that for ‘24. I don’t want to hit 9i 165 carry anymore, that’s stupid, give me easy 150-155. Same into my wedges, I want a gap I can carry 130 and in, a sand that is 115 and in, then a lob that is 85 and in…and I want to be able to hit ALL of them from greenside out to their number in a variety of shots.

Driver and fairways? Red ass on those all the way haha
I want to get to where I hit a yardage with a flight and curve.. And not really care about anything else other than knowing I can hit it. I think hitting irons and wedges hard all them lowers the chance of doing that. Even if you hit it pure every time.

I do play a mix set. But here's the question I keep mulling over in my head...

If I have 3 different brands/types of wedges and I hit one far better than the rest, how long before I replace the other two lofts with the brand/type I hit much better?

I've played with a more forgiving specialty wedge in the GW spot before when the iron set I was playing didn't have a GW. I am more comfortable with a set GW (11 iron) and can use that for lower chips around the green where I have space to let it run out a bit. I've played mixed SW/LW before, but it's been a good while and I generally like to keep them the same, just with different grinds for different shots/lies. If it works for you though I say go for it. No reason it shouldn't work.

I do play a mix set. But here's the question I keep mulling over in my head...

If I have 3 different brands/types of wedges and I hit one far better than the rest, how long before I replace the other two lofts with the brand/type I hit much better?
Depends on what is better? Spin? Consistency? Forgiveness?

Could you play a mixed wedge setup brand wise, or no?

I’m pondering going SM10 50/54 and the Full Face 2 58, but my brain is fighting me…
ohhhh, i dont know ... i don't know i can mix and match

what i meant was.....inside of a brands wedges, they all have different grinds, lie angles can be adjusted, etc etc etc. Id be hard pressed to not find a wedge that can be modified inside a set of vokeys, clevelands, callaway etc etc brands. and have them all be inside the same oem.

Yes. 54* Edel Wedge which i love and a 58* Callaway PM Grind. Doesnt bother me at all.

Depends on what is better? Spin? Consistency? Forgiveness?
Consistency or Forgiveness, I don't know which. But the numbers are not even close. And the wedge I hit the best is the most lofted of them (60°).

I have played a mix set in the past. Will do so again without issue. Every club has a purpose.

what i meant was.....inside of a brands wedges, they all have different grinds, lie angles can be adjusted, etc etc etc. Id be hard pressed to not find a wedge that can be modified inside a set of vokeys, clevelands, callaway etc etc brands. and have them all be inside the same oem.
I can’t get a high toe full grooved lob wedge out of Vokey.

I have played a mix set in the past. Will do so again without issue. Every club has a purpose.
This, this is what I want to get back to. Love this thought.

Consistency or Forgiveness, I don't know which. But the numbers are not even close. And the wedge I hit the best is the most lofted of them (60°).
Then probably definitely worth revisiting!

I do currently. It's all about gapping for me which in my current setup is fine.

I can’t get a high toe full grooved lob wedge out of Vokey.
so my question would be, in the oem that you can get that club.........is there no way to fit the other wedges to your spec?

Not all of them. Take the Mizuno I use. Not really a lot of options there.

so my question would be, in the oem that you can get that club.........is there no way to fit the other wedges to your spec?
But why force that if in the other lofts the vokey’s fit best?

Back