Could you play a mixed set of wedges (brands)?

makes sense.

Its not a good answer about the putter. But it is the answer nonetheless. My stroke completely changed. For the last 20yrs I have been a face balanced putter guy. Thats what my stroke needed. It totally changed inside of this last year. hahaha. I now have a moderate gate and flow to my stroke. Every single putter i own is a face balanced putter and mallet. A Scotty, a couple of Odyssey's, A Toulon...its insane. So, my thought was to look at who does plumber necks really well. Scotty, Bettinardi......someone mentioned Toulon in the thread, Odyssey of course. I know i like milled more than inserts regardless of stroke. That eliminates a ton of options off of the bat.

And so for me.....putter should be what fits your stroke the best and inside of that.....what you like the most regardless of OEM. its the one club in the bag that you use exclusively for the exact same shot and shape of shot every single time. (noone should be trying to draw or fade it when putting) hahaha. 🤷‍♂️
But if your clubs are Callaway and you like milled, they make a milled putter, you could have gone in the same brand and ecosystem, but it wasn’t even an early thought.

To me if every club is used for a shot, you find tools that match those shots.

For instance It appears most I see use their wedges as an extension of their irons. They should just continue the set, and would be better off but never do because “it’s not what players do” which is funny to me.

That’s the beauty of this, lots of great choices, but there is a misnomer that wedges are the same. Especially for anybody that is about feel.

Fun conversation

If they all had the same shaft i think i could try it. I am not sure i would like it as i like having the same feel for the two wedges i have now.

Yes, planning on doing this very soon! I have a 52 (bent to 53) SM9 and will be throwing in a full face 58! First time I’ve done the mixed wedge setup, but I’m very excited about it!

Okay. I've been pondering getting a 54º and 58º Vokey and keeping my 50º MG3 in the bag but have been wondering the same thing about mixed brands with the wedges. I was even going to post a similar thread about it before seeing this. So... thank you.

Okay. I've been pondering getting a 54º and 58º Vokey and keeping my 50º MG3 in the bag but have been wondering the same thing about mixed brands with the wedges. I was even going to post a similar thread about it before seeing this. So... thank you.
Great minds…

But if your clubs are Callaway and you like milled, they make a milled putter, you could have gone in the same brand and ecosystem.

For instance It appears most I see use their wedges as an extension of their irons. They should just continue the set, and would be better off but never do because “it’s not what players do” which is funny to me.

That’s the beauty of this, lots of great choices, but there is a misnomer that wedges are the same. Especially for anybody that is about feel.
I hear that and appreciate the discussion about it. The "feel" aspect to me is something I want to be consistent in my wedges. If that makes sense. At impact, I want it to feel similar regardless of shot or shape. If it's different, the "feel" feels weird. 🤣🤣🤣 for a lack of better way to describe it.

Kind of like, if I like milled putters...the feel of an insert....just feels off to me. Or worse, the sound / feel of a Cure putter could make me go into convulsions. Lol.

I totally see the point you and JMan are making. I don't disagree if that's what's best for your games.

As we've always said.....options are good. Can be fun. What works for one might not work at all for someone else.

I have a Mizuno T24 and a Vokey SM9

My head would probably implode at that point.
Science Fiction Mind Blown GIF by FilmStruck

But if your clubs are Callaway and you like milled, they make a milled putter, you could have gone in the same brand and ecosystem, but it wasn’t even an early thought.

Fun conversation
I 100% believe in set GW and SW. I really think one specialty wedge is most amateurs really need.

My wedges are pretty mixed up right now, but I’ve been having success. It does bother me looking and seeing differences, but each one works for what I need to do so I deal with it.

My current set up is a 45° Edison 2.0, 48° cobra snakebite X, 54° cobra snakebite, and a 60° cobra king raw.

Almost always have; currently have a Wilson, and 2 diff models of Callaway... so 3 completely different wedges.

I do. A minimum of 3 styles and two brands. Sometimes 4 styles and 3 brands.

PW: Hogan Edge EX (part of my iron set)
48: Hogan Equalizer II
52: SM8
56: SM8

I'm sure I could but I'm really liking my set matched 50° GW with the Jaws are 54 and 58 wedges

Yes, and I am currently.

My cobra Irons came with a PW and a GW. And I use my Mizuno 54 and 60 for closer.

as I’m building my bag this works for me because I consider the Mizuno for 100 yards in and the others for the over. But I am considering swapping out the gap for another Mizuno.

I’m also weird in that my Mizuno are a standard grip instead of a midsize. But I find for the accuracy that works better a bit on those type of shots.

It’d be good, but I’d prefer matching grips.

The right tool for the right job, right?

But, I just got a new Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face 42* chipper, 58* S sand wedge and 64* L lob wedge to go with my new Cleveland Zipcore XL 7-GW (GW+2*) irons, all with Recoil Dart shafts. So, what do I know? They just work together...

Last edited:
I use the set pw and aw (46 and 51) and right now I have the Edel 56 and 60 in the bag

I could but would lean towards keeping 54 & 58 in the family.
The 50, I could go set gap wedge or others. Just use more on full swings and could be any brand really.

I mean, I've got different wedges now. Just the same company. My 54° and 60° are full toe and the 50° is not.

I haven't found any significant difference from one company to another for me and what I am looking for with a wedge.

I’ve tried many times and always failed.
1711761277603.gif

yes, but I have an equal opportunity bag:

ZX5mk AW
Glide 4 Eye2 SW
Vokey LW

For grins I have an Edison AW coming, and just picked up a Jaws Raw Full Toe SW to mess with. But I'm getting a Vokey fitting end of next month so maybe I'll get reigned into a single wedge brand...

I think I could but haven’t done it yet

Back