Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

2 rounds the last 2 days and got a chance to use the 3x4 system.... when i hit the right shot its amazing i made birdies with 2 of my shots today problem is i'm still a little inconsistent on the course under that pressure. so i didn't make the best swings good news is i'm really liking how this is working out for me. i def need to put a lot more time in with it dial down my distances and swing and i think i will def be making more birdies or saving par. i also realized today theres times that i should play other shots like a bump and run or just chip the ball. guess i'll learn more about what works and what doesn't this year when i'm playing but today and yesterday i saw some good things and i expect inconsistencies since i'm just learning this still and only hit a bucket or 2 before today and i went after my round and hit a large bucket only hitting the pelz shots. should have some good practice time this week with this so hoping to start seeing some more consistency with it over the next few weeks.

Sounds like you are making some good progress, buck. I just got my copy in the mail, so I'm gonna try to start reading it this week. As I get into it, I'll be sure to keep in the conversation here.

Sounds like you are making some good progress, buck. I just got my copy in the mail, so I'm gonna try to start reading it this week. As I get into it, I'll be sure to keep in the conversation here.

Sounds good. There's a ton of info. Like hawk said it may be best to take it slow I know I missed a lot of stuff. Gonna go back and reread the 4x3 chapter tonight. And later there's a ton if difficult short game shots to work on

I took some of my own advice this weekend. I was playing into some 25mph winds with gusts around 35. It was causing some moonballs with full shots, so I started clubbing way up and using the Pelz 7:30 swing into the greens on some of the holes that played into the wind. Really cut through the wind nicely since I can keep the ball so low and the spin was enough that the ball stopped really quickly. Sometimes I wonder why it takes me so long to figure certain things out.

I always reread the bibles every spring and you are right. You do pick up new stuff each time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I took some of my own advice this weekend. I was playing into some 25mph winds with gusts around 35. It was causing some moonballs with full shots, so I started clubbing way up and using the Pelz 7:30 swing into the greens on some of the holes that played into the wind. Really cut through the wind nicely since I can keep the ball so low and the spin was enough that the ball stopped really quickly. Sometimes I wonder why it takes me so long to figure certain things out.

There were times this past round I should have used another shot like that and I didn't cause I just normally never would. Guess that just comes down to course management and playing smart. I def think that's something I need to work on this year. Could def save me a few strokes.

Man, it's just a hard one to do mentally, but if you look at how links golf is played, it's effective. I was 100 yards out dead into that nasty wind and it dawned on me that I could fire a low 7 iron in there with the 7:30 swing. It's also an easy shot to keep dead on line too.

Man, it's just a hard one to do mentally, but if you look at how links golf is played, it's effective. I was 100 yards out dead into that nasty wind and it dawned on me that I could fire a low 7 iron in there with the 7:30 swing. It's also an easy shot to keep dead on line too.

Something I def want to work on. Have 100 yard low bump and run and something I need to work on closer to I was like 40 yards out and tried to fly it. Guess i just need to work on everything. Until I can perform the shots under pressure.

I haven't been able to practice this for a while so I was pleasantly surprised to see some residual muscle memory. I lipped out a chip from about 40 feet, had a couple of nice 100 yard shots and opened up the 60* and put a 9 o'clock swing from 60 yards to get over a big deep bunker and nestle up to the pin. I even got a gratuitous "nice shot" from a random passer by on the flop shot.

I haven't been able to practice this for a while so I was pleasantly surprised to see some residual muscle memory. I lipped out a chip from about 40 feet, had a couple of nice 100 yard shots and opened up the 60* and put a 9 o'clock swing from 60 yards to get over a big deep bunker and nestle up to the pin. I even got a gratuitous "nice shot" from a random passer by on the flop shot.

thats good to hear i think once i get this swing down consistently i will be able to remember my points was out today working on it but it was REALLY windy so i couldn't get great distances i was just working on grooving my swing more than anything. hoping to start getting solid distances here soon i think some of mine have moved a little already but its hard to tell havn't had a day that wasn't really windy here all season.

I've been able to read the first few chapters where he gets into the importance of the short game and goes over some of the data he's collected. Nothing I haven't really heard before, but nice to actually read it. I do like Pelz's general philosophy on the short game and course management, and I think that alone will help improve my scores a little. I'm looking forward to getting into his thoughts on the mechanics of the shots.

That's something I need to remember too....it never occurs to me to hit the 7:30 8 iron from 90 yards instead of hitting a lob wedge or a sand wedge that's going to be eaten up by the wind.

That's something I need to remember too....it never occurs to me to hit the 7:30 8 iron from 90 yards instead of hitting a lob wedge or a sand wedge that's going to be eaten up by the wind.

was working on that a lot today 100-110 yard 7 iron shot. could even get a little bit of check on it if needed.

Just ordered my copy. Finding so much good information on how to improve my game here. You guys are awesome.

Just ordered my copy. Finding so much good information on how to improve my game here. You guys are awesome.

good to hear please post your improvements and experiences... its been easier feeding off the other guys that have done it and are going through it. seeing what works for everyone else and what doesn't work well.

got another range session and some of my distances are off from last time some as much as 10 yards but most i'd say are closer to 5 does anyone actually have their numbers and would you mind posting them or PMing me i am curious to see how the gapping is working out for everyone else.... i have a few that are pretty close to each other number wise..... gonna have to find a really good place to hit plenty of shots and really get some good numbers hitting the range and trying to hit the ball i hit i think is giving me some inconsistencies... gotta find a place i can hit balls walk to them find the biggest grouping and laser my bag from where i was hitting. think i need to find a football field or something close to that.

I'm about half way through the book and am enjoying it so far. I will not be following all of his mechanical techniques, but I like his philosophy and thoughts on game management and the short game. I'm looking forward to getting to the rest of the book and seeing what I get out of it.

Also, after I get some more practice in, I'll post some yardages. But it's about 30 degrees outside right now, so not sure when that will happen.

I'm about half way through the book and am enjoying it so far. I will not be following all of his mechanical techniques, but I like his philosophy and thoughts on game management and the short game. I'm looking forward to getting to the rest of the book and seeing what I get out of it.

Also, after I get some more practice in, I'll post some yardages. But it's about 30 degrees outside right now, so not sure when that will happen.

It's not much warmer here hahaha. I am getting out today for a round after a clinic I'm going to so hopefully start getting better distances or at least confirming some of them so I'm confident with a few more of them.

I played 18 today and mostly tried to play to 100 to 150 yard distances, which are full swings for me, so there was not a lot of Peltz love going on today. Still, one hole stood out on the PSGB front. A shorter dog leg right par 4 where the dog leg is protected mostly by bunkers. I hit 3W off the tee and pushed it right, accidentally cutting the corner and leaving myself a distance other than my preferred 100-150 range. The course wasn't marked particularly well and I couldn't get a precise number. I estimated 60 yards. I decided on 7 o'clock swing with the PW. I took some pratice swings to get the feel, focused on alignment and technique, then hit the ball. It landed maybe 10 yards short of the green, perfectly on line, and rolled about 4 feet past the pin. I misread the putt and left it a ball or two out to the right. However, I was struck by how in times past I very very easily could have butchered the hole from 60 yards out because I was in between clubs, didn't have a plan, had to rely on feel, etc. Sure, it would have been nice to drain the birdie putt. But tap in pars are a nice consolation prize. And it is so nice to basically take ugly big numbers out of play.

I've been doing this a good bit lately and with good success. I find that hitting perfect wedge is more difficult than hitting a half shot with a lower-lofted club. If it takes me a full swing to get directly to a number, there's a lot that can go bad wrong. If I can take a half-swing pitch with a 9-iron, my chances of execution go way up. Even if I miss hit it, the result of the mishit is likely to be less of a problem given the more relaxed swing.

Of course you have to have the right angle and green shape to use this technique, but when you do, man can it be effective at getting you on the dance floor.

I played 18 today and mostly tried to play to 100 to 150 yard distances, which are full swings for me, so there was not a lot of Peltz love going on today. Still, one hole stood out on the PSGB front. A shorter dog leg right par 4 where the dog leg is protected mostly by bunkers. I hit 3W off the tee and pushed it right, accidentally cutting the corner and leaving myself a distance other than my preferred 100-150 range. The course wasn't marked particularly well and I couldn't get a precise number. I estimated 60 yards. I decided on 7 o'clock swing with the PW. I took some pratice swings to get the feel, focused on alignment and technique, then hit the ball. It landed maybe 10 yards short of the green, perfectly on line, and rolled about 4 feet past the pin. I misread the putt and left it a ball or two out to the right. However, I was struck by how in times past I very very easily could have butchered the hole from 60 yards out because I was in between clubs, didn't have a plan, had to rely on feel, etc. Sure, it would have been nice to drain the birdie putt. But tap in pars are a nice consolation prize. And it is so nice to basically take ugly big numbers out of play.

I like how you put that. I think knowing I have the shot in the bag and how to execute gives me the confidence to put a quality move on the ball. It's a nice feeling to know that if I do my part, the ball is going the distance I need it to go.

I like how you put that. I think knowing I have the shot in the bag and how to execute gives me the confidence to put a quality move on the ball. It's a nice feeling to know that if I do my part, the ball is going the distance I need it to go.

I think this is another reason why my distances when I measured them are different I changed my move a bit the second time I want to get something that feels comfortable so I can repeat it easily. And I can feel myself making the shot properly. I changed my hinge a bit and used my body turn to make the swing last time. More like a normal pitch for me. That way I can also use the system feel anyway for shorter pitches like 20 yards and what not. Hinge and turn shots for the most part from from 1-100 yards is my new goal.

I will never ever buy a used book off amazon again. It has been almost 3 weeks since this book shipped. They wont check with USPS or cancel the order until a full 3 weeks has passed since shipping. Such an absolute joke. I could have walked to their shipping location and walked home by now

Back